Dry ice kief, can you resift?

• Thread starter danielj.la
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

danielj.la

Hey everyone,

First time making dry ice hash/kief here. I followed someone’s process that had me use a 220u bubble bag and shake for 30 seconds-1 minute with the dry ice, and do 3 runs so you have 3 grades of kief.

I used some traditional Nepalese landrace buds/pure sativa I grew (not trim), which I had a ton of, which is one they commonly use to make hash in that region. Anyway!

I now have a very substantial amount of kief. The stuff looks fairly green — a bit worried I shook the stuff too hard and too much plant material got through. Also thinking I should have maybe used a finer screen.

I’m wondering if there might be a good process for purifying the kief further. Would it be possible to just resift the product through a finer bag? Or do some sort of alcohol extraction process?

Ideally I want to make a pressed product like hash or something close to it. Just wondering if I’ll have trouble pressing the kief I have now, if it’s too contaminated with plant matter.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!!

Moshmen

Moshmen

Hey everyone,

First time making dry ice hash/kief here. I followed someone’s process that had me use a 220u bubble bag and shake for 30 seconds-1 minute with the dry ice, and do 3 runs so you have 3 grades of kief.

I used some traditional Nepalese landrace buds/pure sativa I grew (not trim), which I had a ton of, which is one they commonly use to make hash in that region. Anyway!

I now have a very substantial amount of kief. The stuff looks fairly green — a bit worried I shook the stuff too hard and too much plant material got through. Also thinking I should have maybe used a finer screen.

I’m wondering if there might be a good process for purifying the kief further. Would it be possible to just resift the product through a finer bag? Or do some sort of alcohol extraction process?

Ideally I want to make a pressed product like hash or something close to it. Just wondering if I’ll have trouble pressing the kief I have now, if it’s too contaminated with plant matter.

I have resifted works but difficult imo also tried cleaning with parchamentand CD case - again works just a lot of work -maybe @gnicks has experience here - I personally quit the dry ice thing after 2 times trying , to violent - better quality from the freezer imo.

H

hawkman

cosider this: use 70 micron for first shake (not over a few minutes) or else you will break down leaves Then re-shake with 90 micron - again a mnute shake - Re: you are getting the purest at 70 - 90 (color should be light brown0 then once in the 100's your return will have green in it. As for pressing keif go th Frenchy's The Hashman for water & bottle pressing - haven't mastered this have very bad luck - one can get a keif presser and make "pucks" rather keep it loose and smoke it that way _ if you want hash ball, ect go with making Bubble Hash - then you can for it but drying is tricky

Moshmen

Moshmen

cosider this: use 70 micron for first shake (not over a few minutes) or else you will break down leaves Then re-shake with 90 micron - again a mnute shake - Re: you are getting the purest at 70 - 90 (color should be light brown0 then once in the 100's your return will have green in it. As for pressing keif go th Frenchy's The Hashman for water & bottle pressing - haven't mastered this have very bad luck - one can get a keif presser and make "pucks" rather keep it loose and smoke it that way _ if you want hash ball, ect go with making Bubble Hash - then you can for it but drying is tricky
Sounds like your problem is contamination when your pressing with the bottle to much plant matter - check the dry sift to pressing hash thread here in the farm - im typing as I’m leavin or I’d grab it for ya

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
nitrile glove cleaning method on a 75? dry sifting screen..
dry ice method use a smaller micron and i’d shake once per spot on table, 3-4 piles,
first being best..

D

Dr.Dave

Hey everyone,

For dry ice sifting to work, you must add crushed ice, not chunks. At -110°F, the plant material freezes solid and larger chunks of dry ice will pulverize it just as fine as the triches. The key is to use finely crushed ice along with light shaking.

D

danielj.la

nitrile glove cleaning method on a 75? dry sifting screen..
dry ice method use a smaller micron and i’d shake once per spot on table, 3-4 piles,
first being best..

I’ll have to do more research into the static tech stuff. Would you recommend this for what I’m trying to do? I don’t have any flat screens at the moment, just a series of bubble bags. So you could do another round of dry ice sifting? Wondering if it would just powder the plant material also and send it through…

I have about 7oz of kief, light green in color. Will send a pic when I get back to the station.

Open to which ever suggestion but not trying to spend too much. Thanks

D

danielj.la

For dry ice sifting to work, you must add crushed ice, not chunks. At -110°F, the plant material freezes solid and larger chunks of dry ice will pulverize it just as fine as the triches. The key is to use finely crushed ice along with light shaking.
Thanks, I actually found some dry ice pellets and worked with that. I froze my buds for two days then layered it with dry ice to sit for 5 minutes in a bowl then shook through the 220 bag for about 45 seconds for 3 rounds. I probably did it too hard in hindsight. Kief still looks pretty good but I imagine there’s a lot of plant in there so wondering best way to purify further

D

danielj.la

Sounds like your problem is contamination when your pressing with the bottle to much plant matter - check the dry sift to pressing hash thread here in the farm - im typing as I’m leavin or I’d grab it for ya
Thanks! Yeah, I was planning on trying to roll it/hot bottle method, but thinking it might have too much plant matter to really get a consistent product. Will check the thread. I’ve watched some videos about pressing the stuff, but I would kinda like to end up with something gooey if at all possible…

D

danielj.la

Thanks. I’ve looked into making pucks as well as the rolling method. I think my stuff might be too green to get a good rolled product as I sifted at 220. Wondering if I can somehow purify it further by either doing another dry ice run in finer bags with the kief or by another method

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you could put kief in 25 micron bag with a bunch of normal ice to freeze the contaminate and get it to break up more, than
if you got a hose with spray nozzle and get the water as cold as possible and spray it clean for like 20-30 mins.. than just treat it as bubble wash..

TSD

TSD

Here's that thread...

D

danielj.la

you could put kief in 25 micron bag with a bunch of normal ice to freeze the contaminate and get it to break up more, than
if you got a hose with spray nozzle and get the water as cold as possible and spray it clean for like 20-30 mins.. than just treat it as bubble wash..
cool! so you mean just let the material sit mixed in with the ice (alone) for a while and then spray the stuff through?

would you recommend leaving the material mixed up with ice in freezer overnight and then washing it through the bags?

also, if you’re spraying for 30 minutes, how do you collect the new kief? I mean won’t you lose stuff out of the bottom of the screen? sorry! just not quite grasping the process

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
cool! so you mean just let the material sit mixed in with the ice (alone) for a while and then spray the stuff through?

would you recommend leaving the material mixed up with ice in freezer overnight and then washing it through the bags?

also, if you’re spraying for 30 minutes, how do you collect the new kief? I mean won’t you lose stuff out of the bottom of the screen? sorry! just not quite grasping the process
ok give me a min i’ll be back

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok give me a min i’ll be back
best would be the nitrile glove method on a 75 micron dry sifting screen..
well you don’t have to put in the freezer, i’d just throw some ice in with the keif in a 25 micron bubble bag, better would be a 45 micron.. as water will be slower to drain from 25 slowing down what your trying to do which is break up/getting the contaminate wet than using the force of cold water (hose/sprayer) pushing it through the bag.. the resin will stay in bag.. if you haven’t bubble washed before than not sure if i recommend you do it this way.,
should just make edibles out of it as it is now.. or QWISO..

D

danielj.la

Thanks! I’ve watched a few vids on doing the bubble hash, but usually it’s just cover the weed with ice water, agitate, then pull the various screens. So was just wondering how you’d be able to keep spraying water through without bucket overflowing

I’m not big on edibles, though I was gonna make some from the lower grade stuff, so I might either just make pucks from what I have or try the ice water method. Was just wondering if processing the dry ice sift with ice water thru smaller screens would still work the same way

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks! I’ve watched a few vids on doing the bubble hash, but usually it’s just cover the weed with ice water, agitate, then pull the various screens. So was just wondering how you’d be able to keep spraying water through without bucket overflowing

I’m not big on edibles, though I was gonna make some from the lower grade stuff, so I might either just make pucks from what I have or try the ice water method. Was just wondering if processing the dry ice sift with ice water thru smaller screens would still work the same way
yes but you only need to use one unless you wanted separated microns but in your case i’d just use one the 25, put the 25 in a bucket with holes in bottom so water can drain out as your spraying your pile of kief in the bag, more pressure the better but careful not too spray the mix out of the bag., if your pile comes out a lot smaller than you know you’ve removed lots of the contaminate.,

D

danielj.la

Great, thanks for all the info here. Realize my case is prolly kinda particular so I appreciate the help.

I gotta admit I still don’t totally understand — I would think to rinse the stuff through some bigger micron screens first to try to separate out some more of the green plant matter first, because I thought the green matter would be larger particulates than the trichomes, whereas shaking it through the 25u bag would only rinse out particles that are smaller than the trichomes, like dust, etc. Is my logic correct there?

I only shook with dry ice through the 220u bag, so I figured if I wanted to purify the product in order to roll it into hash I should try to get out more of the plant matter first before hitting the 25u screen.

Top Bottom