Dry room techniques and drying setups

• Thread starter Godfthrfarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Godfthrfarm

Its harvest time pretty soon here for most of us outdoor growers so I'm asking some of the more experienced growers to chime in on the best way to dry your harvest...w leaves on/off whole plant or branch by branch..dehumidifiers or just fans ?? All the lil secrets we all use to get a perfect smelly tasty dry product..people forget that drying is one of the most important parts of growing so let's help the newbies and oldies with some pics or suggestions..let's see what we get.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Its harvest time pretty soon here for most of us outdoor growers so I'm asking some of the more experienced growers to chime in on the best way to dry your harvest...w leaves on/off whole plant or branch by branch..dehumidifiers or just fans ?? All the lil secrets we all use to get a perfect smelly tasty dry product..people forget that drying is one of the most important parts of growing so let's help the newbies and oldies with some pics or suggestions..let's see what we get.
Drying room is ready, dehumidifier is set at 55%.
Temp set at 66f-68f, charcoal filter prepped and ready. Hole plant hung from stalk. 4 days hanging then I’ll start dropping large fan leaves. Sustain humidity and temp through the entire drying process. It will take 12-18 days to dry with this process.
This process will give you a huge jump on in the curing process.:)

SinCity

SinCity

So glad you started this thread. Drying/curing ABSOLUTELY makes it or breaks it...

SinCity

SinCity

Temp set at 66f-68f, charcoal filter prepped and ready. Hole plant hung from stalk. 4 days hanging then I’ll start dropping large fan leaves. Sustain humidity and temp through the entire drying process. It will take 12-18 days to dry with this process.
View attachment 896072

Whole plant...interesting. Talk to me.

SinCity

SinCity

View attachment 896072

Could i pick your brain on why dry larger?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Whole plant...interesting. Talk to me.
Whole plant on the stalk. I Dry trim all my buds. As the plant drys I feel the buds mature better to ripening. Probably sounds like I’m talking out my ass:) but I’ve tried every process you can think of in the drying process. I’ve destroyed to many harvests to mention. This is by far a superior way to complete a successful grow to the maximum success rate.

SinCity

SinCity

Whole plant on the stalk. I Dry trim all my buds. As the plant drys I feel the buds mature better to ripening. Probably sounds like I’m talking out my ass:) but I’ve tried every process you can think of in the drying process. I’ve destroyed to many harvests to mention. This is by far a superior way to complete a successful grow to the maximum success rate.

In no way do you sound like anything but a helpful and experienced grower. Folks can see who you are--I certainly can and I'm definitely listening.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
In no way do you sound like anything but a helpful and experienced grower. Folks can see who you are--I certainly can and I'm definitely listening.
Thank you, I appreciate your compliment:)

SinCity

SinCity

Dry larger?

sorry--i meant drying larger sections of the plant versus breaking the plant down into smaller branches. i can't do a whole plant because of my plants' size. you're hanging more plant mass than i do. but your logic is very persuasive...

Growbekenobi

Growbekenobi

sorry--i meant drying larger sections of the plant versus breaking the plant down into smaller branches. i can't do a whole plant because of my plants' size. you're hanging more plant mass than i do. but your logic is very persuasive...
I feel like the whole plant hang is increasing the humidity around the buds themselves. Which would be a good thing if you've got a dehumidifier running.

SinCity

SinCity

Hanging more mass (not breaking down branches as much) sounds like it has alot of advantages. Am I correct that I could probably harvest a little earlier and still get more ripening without risking exposure to rain?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Hanging more mass (not breaking down branches as much) sounds like it has alot of advantages. Am I correct that I could probably harvest a little earlier and still get more ripening without risking exposure to rain?
I would let it ride as long as possible. Be real diligent with the humid and wet weather. I had to cut one down yesterday because of bud rot. The larger denser buds will be the first victims of this horrible spore that attacks our ladies!
Poor girl she fought up till the end.
89A829DF 5DE3 46B3 9C19 856BCF6D6695

Madbud

Madbud

Agree the trichs continue ripening, you can see it with a scope. I’m finding outdoor buds look a lot cleaner after a freshwater soak before hanging too, less debris and crap.

SinCity

SinCity

I would let it ride as long as possible. Be real diligent with the humid and wet weather. I had to cut one down yesterday because of bud rot. The larger denser buds will be the first victims of this horrible spore that attacks our ladies!
Poor girl she fought up till the end.View attachment 896123

Yea, bud rot is the ever-present danger. That's why I was hoping your technique could let me take them a little early. We take the biggest first, buck them down, and get them hanging as quickly as possible. I would rather err on the side of taking them a bit early versus losing alot to rot. We can do so few plants now--gotta maximize yield. Previous years, because of labor costs, a good amount of bud would be left on--always hated that. Now we can go back and be as thorough as needed.

BudBogart

BudBogart

It depends on your environment. I have a dehumidifier, but in some parts of the world a humidifier might help. Diesel pretty much explained an ideal temp and humidity combination. Your plants may be too large to hang whole and intact. You can apply the theory as best you can by hanging large branches.
They like to be kept in the dark, with gentle room air movement to prevent mold from starting. The fan shouldn’t be hitting the drying buds.
You want a drying area where you can maintain the conditions with consistency. If the room gets too dry the little stems feeding the buds will dry and the process of stems helping with the slow drying pretty much stops. The buds would continue to dry, but without being aided by moisture from the stems.
Few of us can maintain those conditions for 12-18 days, 7-10 days is still admirable.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Wet trim, hang single branches on lines in sealed area, gentle fan indirectly moving air, inkbird or similar controller set at 60% RH, a humidifier & time

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have to wonder if drying upside down on the stem allows other compounds to move Into the buds as they dry.. like more terpenes..

I grew a purple white lightning for a few years and thinking back on it, one of my stinkiest crops of it was dried hanging on the stem, but wet trimmed. Perhaps I should do a bit more experimenting...

souf69

souf69

I dry and cure similar to diesel, except I fan em and let em sit upright during dry time, then I dry trim. All dries in a small concrete room nice and cold and low humidity for me about 40%.

Flatlandfarmer

Flatlandfarmer

I know this is an old thread but very relevant to the discussion. Recently Dr. Allison Justice posted her research findings on drying cannabis. You can search on YouTube for it, but the final recommendations were: 64 degrees at 60% humidity for 8-10 days.

Top Bottom