Drying at 80 degrees I need help

• Thread starter Eclipted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Eclipted

I had to move my entire grow. The lung room for my tent is about an 8x8 maybe 8x6 (ft) I have a portable ac in there to try to lower temps but my outside temps are hitting 107 with 60% humidity, I live in Texas. The lung room doesn’t have a vent for central air which Is why I have fhe portable. The portable is blowing cold air and venting the hot air out one of the windows but my temps are still 80 even right now at 1 am it’s 80 degrees in the tent. I have put thick blankets over all the windows to help keep light and heat out.
I have 2 fans inside the grow tent one on top and bottom, I also have a fan on the ceiling that I have going full blast. In-line fan on top of the tent blowing out bottom of tent open to pull air in. Any ideas on how to get it colder? I cannot spend 200$ to buy a second ac unit to get it colder. Also the humidity is riding high? Which is weird if the ac is blowing directly on my tent shouldn’t it be dropping my humidity?

I’m chopping them in 4 days I think there’s a high chance that if I’m sitting at 60% humidity and 81 degrees during drying that they will mold. It’s my first ever grow I don’t want to lose it

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Where are you taking the temp at? Have you checked temps about 2’ off the ground? Possibly you may be a few degrees cooler if you keep the buds low when drying them
try setting up a dry box right next to the AC unit (like a decent sized box for like a microwave etc and try directing some of the AC output directly into the box. And see if you get a lower temp in the box that way

Not the absolute best option but may alleviate some stress if you can get down to 73ish I found I can get a good 10 day dry with rh at 60% and 72-75f (best I could do as well)

E

Eclipted

Where are you taking the temp at? Have you checked temps about 2’ off the ground? Possibly you may be a few degrees cooler if you keep the buds low when drying them
try setting up a dry box right next to the AC unit (like a decent sized box for like a microwave etc and try directing some of the AC output directly into the box. And see if you get a lower temp in the box that way

Not the absolute best option but may alleviate some stress if you can get down to 73ish I found I can get a good 10 day dry with rh at 60% and 72-75f (best I could do as well)
So the dry box, essentially maybe tape a cardboard box to the front of the ac unit or set the box on a chair in front of the unit and then place buds inside ac blowing into the box? Will the constant air on it be a problem?

E

Eclipted

The temp is getting read from the inside of the tent, at top flower level light is on but really only raises the tent temp by maybe 2 degrees, I can drop my sensor to my pot level and see what it’s reading that’ll be 8 inches of the ground roughly, my sensor is sitting at about 2.5 feet off the ground

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
So the dry box, essentially maybe tape a cardboard box to the front of the ac unit or set the box on a chair in front of the unit and then place buds inside ac blowing into the box? Will the constant air on it be a problem?
Yes as large of a box as you can get, I would just run a 4” duct taped to the front of the AC unit and run the duct to the box, try to have the cool air blow in the bottom of the box and let the heat exhaust out the top . I’d test the box out and get an idea of what temps you can acheive,

I say a 4” duct that’ll allow most of the air to flow into the lung room but some airflow to go to the box so you don’t have an excess of air flow over frying the buds

E

Eclipted

Yes as large of a box as you can get, I would just run a 4” duct taped to the front of the AC unit and run the duct to the box, try to have the cool air blow in the bottom of the box and let the heat exhaust out the top . I’d test the box out and get an idea of what temps you can acheive,

I say a 4” duct that’ll allow most of the air to flow into the lung room but some airflow to go to the box so you don’t have an excess of air flow over frying the buds
I have an idea I’m going to try tomorrow to see if it’ll work, I’m going to make a drawing of it real quick then I’ll post it and let me know if you think it could work

E

Eclipted

I’d use a plastic tub that way the cardboard doesn’t soak up any moisture, and the plastic could conduct the cold air a little better I feel like. The ac would blow on the front of the box relatively close to it, buds on the opposite side of the slats as the air wraps around the box some will creep inside as it warms it rises out the top. I’ll make a prototype tomorrow and stick one of my thermostats in there with it, let it run for 5 hours and see how cold it’s reading in there. Sorry for the crude drawing I never took art lol. Maybe lll take a class when I start college lol hopefully it’s good enough that you can envision the idea

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’d use a plastic tub that way the cardboard doesn’t soak up any moisture, and the plastic could conduct the cold air a little better I feel like. The ac would blow on the front of the box relatively close to it, buds on the opposite side of the slats as the air wraps around the box some will creep inside as it warms it rises out the top. I’ll make a prototype tomorrow and stick one of my thermostats in there with it, let it run for 5 hours and see how cold it’s reading in there. Sorry for the crude drawing I never took art lol. Maybe lll take a class when I start college lol hopefully it’s good enough that you can envision the idea
Looks like a good idea. Build it up and test temps and RH inside. And post results up! If it works well it may be something that could help some others with the same issue 😁 when you duct into the box try to put an extra 5-6” of duct in and have it face straight down so the air isint directed straight at the buds

E

Eclipted

Looks like a good idea. Build it up and test temps and RH inside. And post results up! If it works well it may be something that could help some others with the same issue 😁 when you duct into the box try to put an extra 5-6” of duct in and have it face straight down so the air isint directed straight at the buds
Okay sweet does this box need to be tall enough to hang the buds? I assume so right

E

Eclipted

Okay sweet does this box need to be tall enough to hang the buds? I assume so right
Actually nvm dumb question lol, I’m gonna get string and run it thru the box and hang them branch by branch box will probably be 3 feet long and 2 feet deep that way I have enough room. Praying this can get me to 72 degrees I can work with 72 lol 81 is a no go.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Actually nvm dumb question lol, I’m gonna get string and run it thru the box and hang them branch by branch box will probably be 3 feet long and 2 feet deep that way I have enough room. Praying this can get me to 72 degrees I can work with 72 lol 81 is a no go.
I’m glad you answered that one yourself 😁 yeah I’d imagine the larger the box the better. Do your best for indirect airflow you just want the temp low and a light breeze through the box, hoping it works well for you

E

Eclipted

I’m glad you answered that one yourself 😁 yeah I’d imagine the larger the box the better. Do your best for indirect airflow you just want the temp low and a light breeze through the box, hoping it works well for you
We gonna see testing tomorrow I think it’ll work man you saved my grow I’m pretty sure💯

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Why not just just the air conditioner in the tent? That would help with temp a humidity. Just run the duct out one of the bottem vents, then out the window

E

Eclipted

Tent is only a 3x2x5 and the air conditioner is about 3 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide it just won’t fit in the tent with all three plants. I mean unless I hang them directly above the air conditioner but I don’t think it would get cold enoigh. The dry box would be easier to maintain a temp inside I believe

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Just ride it out as consistent as possible and chop it down when you can. Next run make sure you upgrade your AC. It is to small. How many btu?

E

Eclipted

i
Just ride it out as consistent as possible and chop it down when you can. Next run make sure you upgrade your AC. It is too small. How many btu?
I don’t know the btu when I get home I’ll look up the model number and stuff and see what I’m working with. What I do know is it should be able to cool a 6x8 room it might be even smaller maybe 5x4? I think the problem is the room itself doesn’t have central ac going into it, and it’s facing the sun most of the day I had to move it here because of some legal stuff I don’t have a choice on where to finish the grow next grow will be much better equipped and planned

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Naaa you gotta have 12k btu minimum. But probably cause of your situation you need 14k or 16k btu.

E

Eclipted

Naaa you gotta have 12k btu minimum. But probably cause of your situation you need 14k or 16k btu.
It was used previously to cool a much bigger room it just had central ac and trees in front of the room itself to help with the sun but yeah maybe it’s too small I gotta check when I get off

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I have a 5000 btu window unit in my lung room that is 10 x 10, my grow room is 4 1/2 x 10. I’m in south texas. It works fine.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I have a 5000 btu window unit in my lung room that is 10 x 10, my grow room is 4 1/2 x 10. I’m in south texas. It works fine.
12k btu is huge. My entire central ac is 16k.

Top Bottom