Drying buds smell like hay? When they were dank before? Help

• Thread starter C.dutchpuxx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C.dutchpuxx

C.dutchpuxx

So i harvested and hung my colas on Saturday, the first few days they smelled amazing, but then i noticed last night and this morning that theyre now smelling like hay, they still smell dank if I put my nose right up to the buds but in general they smell like hay. Ive heard that this can be from chlorophyll and other nutrients breaking down, or it can be from not having enough airflow or to much humidity. So can anybody help me figure out why this is happening or if this is normal? Theres no straight forward answers on the internet. im drying them in my closet in pure darkness, 70 degrees F, 64% humidity and i have a fan inside to blow stale air out and then im using my ceiling fan to blow fresh air in.

Anthem

Anthem

So i harvested and hung my colas on Saturday, the first few days they smelled amazing, but then i noticed last night and this morning that theyre now smelling like hay, they still smell dank if I put my nose right up to the buds but in general they smell like hay. Ive heard that this can be from chlorophyll and other nutrients breaking down, or it can be from not having enough airflow or to much humidity. So can anybody help me figure out why this is happening or if this is normal? Theres no straight forward answers on the internet. im drying them in my closet in pure darkness, 70 degrees F, 64% humidity and i have a fan inside to blow stale air out and then im using my ceiling fan to blow fresh air in.
It happens sometimes. The smell will comeback, the only thing I would consider would be to lower the RH to like 50.

Dadnardo

Dadnardo

Did you wet trim, cut live sugar leaves?
Do you mean cutting the large fan leaves while flowering or vegging ? I did and also cut off the yellowish turning fan leaves as well . It sounds like that was a no no?

Madbud

Madbud

Do you mean cutting the large fan leaves while flowering or vegging ? I did and also cut off the yellowish turning fan leaves as well . It sounds like that was a no no?
While shes growing you can trim all the leaves you want, indoor growers more than outdoor. But to dry them i clip any leaf with a stem first, then after drying i trim sugar leaves to shape the buds for curing. If its dried properly there is no hay smell.

C.dutchpuxx

C.dutchpuxx

While shes growing you can trim all the leaves you want, indoor growers more than outdoor. But to dry them i clip any leaf with a stem first, then after drying i trim sugar leaves to shape the buds for curing. If its dried properly there is no hay smell.
What all would you have to do to dry it properly? It seems ive done everything properly except for me trimming most of the trim off

Madbud

Madbud

What all would you have to do to dry it properly? It seems ive done everything properly except for me trimming most of the trim off
After stem trimming the fan leaves i use a peroxide/water soak for a couple minutes and freshwater rinse then hang dry at 65°, 55% humidity with a cheap hepa filter for air circulation. The stems between buds tell you when to cure in jars but it takes practice getting the feel of that stem breaking and just recognizing when the buds are ready for final trim, at least five days, usually longer depending on the flowers size and density.Then the ends of the sugar leaves can be trimmed without any chlorophyll smell in the jars.

C.dutchpuxx

C.dutchpuxx

After stem trimming the fan leaves i use a peroxide/water soak for a couple minutes and freshwater rinse then hang dry at 65°, 55% humidity with a cheap hepa filter for air circulation. The stems between buds tell you when to cure in jars but it takes practice getting the feel of that stem breaking and just recognizing when the buds are ready for final trim, at least five days, usually longer depending on the flowers size and density.Then the ends of the sugar leaves can be trimmed without any chlorophyll smell in the jars.
Okay cool

do you think the chlorophyll smell will go away overtime through curing, or is this just how my product is going to be? Just asking for your opinion here I don’t really expect a yes or no answer

and is there anyway to tell if your buds are getting enough airflow? Because like i said earlier, im growing in my bedroom closet, so i have to keep the doors almost completely shut in order to keep light out. My fans are blowing in and out through the big cracks in the doors, and i can feel the air going in and out through the cracks. But I'm still worried my closet might not have enough airflow.

and thanks for the help here this is my first time properly drying and curing bud, even though this is my second year growing lol this stuff is new to me

Madbud

Madbud

Okay cool

do you think the chlorophyll smell will go away overtime through curing, or is this just how my product is going to be? Just asking for your opinion here I don’t really expect a yes or no answer

and is there anyway to tell if your buds are getting enough airflow? Because like i said earlier, im growing in my bedroom closet, so i have to keep the doors almost completely shut in order to keep light out. My fans are blowing in and out through the big cracks in the doors, and i can feel the air going in and out through the cracks. But I'm still worried my closet might not have enough airflow.

and thanks for the help here this is my first time properly drying and curing bud, even though this is my second year growing lol this stuff is new to me
Yeah, if you still get a hay smell in the jars you can lay the buds out for half an hour each day til it goes away. Like said above, humidity is a little high and drying plants increase that, airflow sounds ok but scope for any white cotton mold or a wet wood smell. This is the most precise part of growing, good luck.

C.dutchpuxx

C.dutchpuxx

Yeah, if you still get a hay smell in the jars you can lay the buds out for half an hour each day til it goes away. Like said above, humidity is a little high and drying plants increase that, airflow sounds ok but scope for any white cotton mold or a wet wood smell. This is the most precise part of growing, good luck.
Well i just found this not even 10 mins ago in a small colla that was seperate from all the others, its not mold, nothing smells like wet wood, but its webbing, and there was a little worm in there so im not sure if its spider mites or these worm looking things.
this was an outdoor grow so I expected some bugs but not this.
It was only in this little colla that was hanging over a foot lower than all the other ones so i really hope i dont have to trash my whole harvest

SinCity

SinCity

You’re still doing fine. And the hay smell will go away. This stage is beyond important. Like @Madbud said, it requires precision. The most beautifully grown flower can be completely ruined if it’s not done properly.

As I’m sure you know, this is a two-step process. First you dry; then you cure. You’ve started the drying pretty well. Some people ‘wet trim’ like you did—removing not just the big outer fan leaves but the sugar leaves around the bud. I don’t. Like @Madbud, I ‘dry trim’, which is only removing the fan leaves, drying the branches on the line, then trimming, then curing. I also agree with @Madbud that the humidity be reduced to 50. In my experience, lots of airflow and the right humidity are more important than degree of darkness.

Once your drying room climate is right, the KEY to this first stage—drying—is to leave the buds on the line until the stem audibly snaps. You want to hear the stem break. It’s just not dry until you hear it crack.

Next is curing. This can be a deceptive stage. Some people go straight to mason jars. I don't--too much moisture can come out too quickly. I don't go to mason jars until the very end. right now, i'm doing big crops so i use turkey bags. but back when i was doing smaller indoor crops, i used gallon ziplocs. for me, those are ideal. i cut or snap the buds off the branch they were hanging on during drying. then i fill the bags about 1/3 of the way. keep the proper climate in your drying room, and put the bags in there--OPEN--for at least 24 hours. only then do i suggest PARTIALLY closing the bags (don't seal the ziploc all the way), and then re-opening them every 12 hours. do this for at least 5 days. then start sealing the ziplocs all the way--BUT OPEN THEM EVERY FEW HOURS. do this for at least a week before sealing the ziplocs overnight. then open them every morning for half the day or so and then reseal for a few hours, then re-open. keep doing this for as long as possible. curing can go on for a long time. but you know you're pretty much there when you can leave the ziploc sealed for 24 hours and the buds are no more moist than when you sealed it.

lots of people here can be consulted and the Grow FAQ have great info.

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Anybody have experience with curing in the fridge was thinking of trying to make my own autocure machine out of a mini fridge and drying in theyre gives the buds all the same conditions that 3000 machine does for the most part other than auto burping the fridge for you lol any opinions ?

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

Anybody have experience with curing in the fridge was thinking of trying to make my own autocure machine out of a mini fridge and drying in theyre gives the buds all the same conditions that 3000 machine does for the most part other than auto burping the fridge for you lol any opinions ?
Meant to say dry not cure as in instead of hanging the buds to dry in a closet putting them in paper bags in the fridge to dry ive heard pretty promising things about this method as far as preserving the final taste the best

Elxfeezy

Elxfeezy

Just give them time bro. I grow beautiful plants with a HPS in a 3x3, fanciest tech I have is a analog thermometer with a hygrometer on it. No ph balancing in my soil. I’m new but I’m gonna start posting. But I’m sure you know like me, growing is a waiting and preparing game. Like getting ready to have a baby and then not touching because it’s light sensitive.

Top Bottom