Drying buds smell like hay? When they were dank before? Help

• Thread starter C.dutchpuxx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MoodusMonkeyBear

After stem trimming the fan leaves i use a peroxide/water soak for a couple minutes and freshwater rinse then hang dry at 65°, 55% humidity with a cheap hepa filter for air circulation. The stems between buds tell you when to cure in jars but it takes practice getting the feel of that stem breaking and just recognizing when the buds are ready for final trim, at least five days, usually longer depending on the flowers size and density.Then the ends of the sugar leaves can be trimmed without any chlorophyll smell in the jars.
What do you soak in water and peroxide ?

Gmix

Gmix

I don’t know we’re your at I haven’t read all 3 pages.

I just read why do my buds taste like hay or however you put it.

That smell is Chlorophyll it should fade a bit after a good cure

All the best bud

Ponky

Ponky

Before you wash that bud. Try steam a few nugs. Put them in a bag. Like a half ounce. And squeeze them until they're a bit squished. Then pull out a nug, pretend you're looking to buy and squeeze and smell it. If the nose comes back just open the bag for like 12 hours. Then seal. And you might be able to steam the buds to life before you smoke them. Just steam a days or 2 worth at a time. I use a suit steamer right into the bag. Doesn't take much. A few small blasts of steam.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Next is curing. This can be a deceptive stage. Some people go straight to mason jars. I don't--too much moisture can come out too quickly. I don't go to mason jars until the very end. right now, i'm doing big crops so i use turkey bags. but back when i was doing smaller indoor crops, i used gallon ziplocs. for me, those are ideal. i cut or snap the buds off the branch they were hanging on during drying. then i fill the bags about 1/3 of the way. keep the proper climate in your drying room, and put the bags in there--OPEN--for at least 24 hours. only then do i suggest PARTIALLY closing the bags (don't seal the ziploc all the way), and then re-opening them every 12 hours. do this for at least 5 days. then start sealing the ziplocs all the way--BUT OPEN THEM EVERY FEW HOURS. do this for at least a week before sealing the ziplocs overnight. then open them every morning for half the day or so and then reseal for a few hours, then re-open. keep doing this for as long as possible. curing can go on for a long time. but you know you're pretty much there when you can leave the ziploc sealed for 24 hours and the buds are no more moist than when you sealed it.

lots of people here can be consulted and the Grow FAQ have great info.
There are bags that will take a lot of that work out of the equation, Grove TerpLoc bags. they come in 1lb size for your big grows.

ninjadip

ninjadip

After stem trimming the fan leaves i use a peroxide/water soak for a couple minutes and freshwater rinse then hang dry at 65°, 55% humidity with a cheap hepa filter for air circulation. The stems between buds tell you when to cure in jars but it takes practice getting the feel of that stem breaking and just recognizing when the buds are ready for final trim, at least five days, usually longer depending on the flowers size and density.Then the ends of the sugar leaves can be trimmed without any chlorophyll smell in the jars.
i just looked up bud washing, maybe i don't get it...
says to clean mold, dust, pesticides off of buds.

if i don't have any of these, is it still beneficial?

Ponky

Ponky

Everyone I know who has tried to wash PM off their bud. Has failed. But water curing. Might be a thing to do. But I have not tried that method.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

The chlorophyl taste comes from the leaves. Don't dry too fast, like, don't have a fan blowing directly on the hanging plant or even if its aimed at a wall and bouncing off onto the plant. It'll dry too fast and it'll smell like a bale of hay...the slower the better Cool temps and low humidity for 7 to 14 days, then dry trim as much leaf as possible including sugar leaves, and cure in a mason jar or in terploc bags. I usedmason jars, but got sick of having to burp the jars twice a day for two weeks...terploc bags you don't have to burp anything, in the bag, zip it up and in two weeks it'll be cured enough to smoke. The longer in the terp-loc bag will likely make for a nicer smoother smoke.

Top Bottom