Drying Buds Troubleshooting. Help

• Thread starter vangs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vangs

vangs

so i cut a few branches about 4 days ago to dry and it seems like the buds dryed up too fast.. when i check the buds on the branches they feel dry and crispy when your touching the bud and the branch snaps but thats only the case for the branch, when i went to break up the bud of the branch it was peeling off because the stem was still wet. Even the bud was still wet inside but the outside of the buds are dry. does anyone know how to fix it? humidity was around 10-15% during all 4 days and temp was around 70-75F i feel like the bud is drying too fast on the outside and not enough on the inside, again it was only 4 days so im assuming that by 7 days the whole bud would be dry but the outside is drying too fast, is this a humidity issue?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

so i cut a few branches about 4 days ago to dry and it seems like the buds dryed up too fast.. when i check the buds on the branches they feel dry and crispy when your touching the bud and the branch snaps but thats only the case for the branch, when i went to break up the bud of the branch it was peeling off because the stem was still wet. Even the bud was still wet inside but the outside of the buds are dry. does anyone know how to fix it? humidity was around 10-15% during all 4 days and temp was around 70-75F i feel like the bud is drying too fast on the outside and not enough on the inside, again it was only 4 days so im assuming that by 7 days the whole bud would be dry but the outside is drying too fast, is this a humidity issue?
if your bud was 6inches around when you harvest,buy the time its dry it will only be 1 1/2 to 2in,drying from were its getting air the best ,first,outside in ,let it dry slow gives it better flavor i think ,but sounds to me like you got the humidity in the room just right for drying and curing

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would say yes. Can you raise RH a wee bit, say into the 30s? Also, 4 days to dry is way too fast, you'll end up with hay. If you can get it to that 7 days, that's better, I like getting it in 10 days even better (and then a long, cool cure after that).

vangs

vangs

I would say yes. Can you raise RH a wee bit, say into the 30s? Also, 4 days to dry is way too fast, you'll end up with hay. If you can get it to that 7 days, that's better, I like getting it in 10 days even better (and then a long, cool cure after that).
well thats what im shooting for. i would like it if i could dry my buds slower, that way the buds are dry all the way threw. my issue is that the bud seems to dry up too fast on the outside, after 4 days the outside of the buds are all dry and crispy but the inside is still wet, same with the stem. do you think its because of low humidity? someone told me to keep my humidity around 40% THAT Will reduce the speed in which the buds dry up but i wanted some opinons before i do that.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

In all seriousness it's not all cut and dry. No pun.
It takes some feel. The basics is pulling moisture from inside of bud to outside of bud. Hang dry, jar, out of jar, back in jar, out of jar. Then to burping the jar. The slower and longer you take the better obviously. But keep a close eye for mold.
If you have larger quantities use turkey bags. Hope some of that helps.

Last edited:
Bannacis

Bannacis

I like a rh around 50%, so it dries slowly. 7-10 days or longer if BIG buds. have them hanging in dark, or as close as you can.
Temps 60-70 degrees F. 45-55 rh. and a circulating fan. air not directed at plants.
To low of rh you get what you got, to high of rh and it will slow dry, and could possibly mold. opposite with temp, too high temp too dry, to low, take to long to dry.
You want your drying area to be a little warmer than the rest of the place around your drying area.
If its cooler it will pull heat from outside your drying room, which could add moisture. You want the heat to be pulled out to a cooler environment, so that heat will take moisture with it. Something like that.....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
well thats what im shooting for. i would like it if i could dry my buds slower, that way the buds are dry all the way threw. my issue is that the bud seems to dry up too fast on the outside, after 4 days the outside of the buds are all dry and crispy but the inside is still wet, same with the stem. do you think its because of low humidity? someone told me to keep my humidity around 40% THAT Will reduce the speed in which the buds dry up but i wanted some opinons before i do that.
Yes, and I prefer in the 50s if at all possible, but sometimes it isn't. The only other way I can think of to slow down drying, if you can't raise the RH easily, is to let the buds start to dry, then into paper bags. Out again if they get too moist, and in again when the exterior is dry.

vangs

vangs

I like a rh around 50%, so it dries slowly. 7-10 days or longer if BIG buds. have them hanging in dark, or as close as you can.
Temps 60-70 degrees F. 45-55 rh. and a circulating fan. air not directed at plants.
To low of rh you get what you got, to high of rh and it will slow dry, and could possibly mold. opposite with temp, too high temp too dry, to low, take to long to dry.
You want your drying area to be a little warmer than the rest of the place around your drying area.
If its cooler it will pull heat from outside your drying room, which could add moisture. You want the heat to be pulled out to a cooler environment, so that heat will take moisture with it. Something like that.....
so does that mean that i should have some kind of exhaust in my dry room? to pull the air out of the dry room? i was going to make it completely sealed to keep control of the temps

vangs

vangs

In all seriousness it's not all cut and dry. No pun.
It takes some feel. The basics is pulling moisture from inside of bud to outside of bud. Hang dry, jar, out of jar, back in jar, out of jar. Then to burping the jar. The slower and longer you take the better obviously. But keep a close eye for mold.
If you have larger quantities use turkey bags. Hope some of that helps.
USE TURKEY BAGS TO CURE or dry?

vangs

vangs

Yes, and I prefer in the 50s if at all possible, but sometimes it isn't. The only other way I can think of to slow down drying, if you can't raise the RH easily, is to let the buds start to dry, then into paper bags. Out again if they get too moist, and in again when the exterior is dry.
is there a big diffrence in the buds when you dry with 40% opposed to 50% my dry room is set to 50, i have a dehumidifer cuz it got up to 75%RH BUT i thought 50 would bring in mold so i set the dehu to 40% should i move it to 50% or 45% ?

Bannacis

Bannacis

50% is a good start,40% is ok. If they are dense or fat you want to dry slow, enough to allow the chlorophyll to leach out.
If the outer bud gets dry too quick it will not leach out all moisture.

ken dog

ken dog

Get a hygrometer... After 2 days of drying on the net, put it in a plastic bag for 12 hours... Pull it out and put it back on the net for a day... Put it back in the bag for 12 hours.. Check it and when it gets to 62 you're all set

ken dog

ken dog

I trim wet.

I might try it the way some of the other experienced farmers are suggesting... But I doubt it, unless I get pounds and pounds and pounds.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I wet trim. Hang on racks till dry as a bone. Remove from stems and put into a 5 gallon Gama lid bucket. Then toss in a couple Boveda packs.
Seal it back up and in 3 days its ready.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
is there a big diffrence in the buds when you dry with 40% opposed to 50% my dry room is set to 50, i have a dehumidifer cuz it got up to 75%RH BUT i thought 50 would bring in mold so i set the dehu to 40% should i move it to 50% or 45% ?
If you can be specific like that, I'd start at 50% and see how they react. I've never gotten RH down to 40% in my drying area, so I can't really say much other than when I had to move plants into the house and dry at about 30% RH, it was WAY TOO fast and led to a hay odor. Carefully rehydrating eliminated the hay odor, but it took some time.

vangs

vangs

Get a hygrometer... After 2 days of drying on the net, put it in a plastic bag for 12 hours... Pull it out and put it back on the net for a day... Put it back in the bag for 12 hours.. Check it and when it gets to 62 you're all set
thats alot of work man. im looking to pull around 40units. i dont think i can do the whole pull out and in, thanks for the advise thou..

vangs

vangs

I wet trim. Hang on racks till dry as a bone. Remove from stems and put into a 5 gallon Gama lid bucket. Then toss in a couple Boveda packs.
Seal it back up and in 3 days its ready.
i think this is what im gunna do.. i got abunch of plastic totes.. whats the purpose of the bovada? why throw in packs to make the bud more humid?

Top Bottom