Drying in refrigerator to preserve terpenes

• Thread starter DBweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DBweed

DBweed

I’ve seen lots and lots of posts about this online about this but none with any conclusive answers. Has anyone tried drying and curing bud in a fridge? (to preserve terpenes)

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

No.

Given that curing is the biological activity of friendly bacteria, trying to cure in the refrigerator seems ill-advised. Most biological activity, and that likely includes curing, stops below 50F. I believe people who think they are curing in the refrigerator are kidding themselves.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

No.

Given that curing is the biological activity of friendly bacteria, trying to cure in the refrigerator seems ill-advised. Most biological activity, and that likely includes curing, stops below 50F. I believe people who think they are curing in the refrigerator are kidding themselves.
This sounds like someone who couldn't or refuses to do what works best, and instead has to come up with some new bro-tech like drying and curing in a refrigerator.
My little opinion thinks NO. Like Mysticepipedon said, below 50F and things get ugly. Also the risk of condensation is too high as well.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Thanks for your replies both. I’m looking for someone who has actually tried it. Not just speculation.
It will work. It takes a bit more time for buds to dry. Sterilize the hell out of your refrigerator and you should be good. Just plan on extra time for it to dry.
If you're having issues doing the normal drying methods, this could help you out. Maybe start with a small amount just to test.

DBweed

DBweed

Thank you. Yes. Drying under 18C at this time of year is hard. I’m going to try it. Will post results when done.

Pajeppy

Pajeppy

Thinking about buying a mini fridge and giving this a go with part of my crop.

Don't really have an ideal way to do this and last year it went way to quickly. AC unit isn't really feasible for me.

socks4free

socks4free

Thinking about buying a mini fridge and giving this a go with part of my crop.

Don't really have an ideal way to do this and last year it went way to quickly. AC unit isn't really feasible for me.
If it's going too quickly use the paper bag technique. I don't have a great area to dry in but last year I would let them dry a day or two open air then throw them in paperbags when they got to a certain point and that slowed the process down alot and gave me a better finish than if I had just left them out in the open.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
google it on here, there is a pretty recent thread on it.

the fridge uses a compressor, so it sucks humidity out (much like an AC). but the lower temp will compensate for the lower humidity. the time more than doubles, i believe they said. the thread had a few who were doing or had done it, if i get back home i will search for it and post it.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I’ve seen lots and lots of posts about this online about this but none with any conclusive answers. Has anyone tried drying and curing bud in a fridge? (to preserve terpenes)

Mrb53

Mrb53

I dry in my fridge all the time....I have a mini too and raised the temps to get a 50°f internal temp. I add 5v PC fans (wires are thin enough for the door to close properly). In my garage fridge (the families 2nd), I place them on a plate with the fan set up on the plate and use negative (pulls the air, not pushes on them) airflow
My DRY time is roughly 14-17 days depending on density of the buds...when I take them out, they are not 100% dry
After the fridge, they go to cure jars (1 qt mason jars) in a dark closet...bovida 62% packs, open daily for a week...then open once every few days...after about 3 weeks, they have cured...I like to cure 30-90 days....if I can resist using it. Most of the time, we are grinding a week after removing from the fridge...
The mini fridge is a different setup...that small fan puts out a lot of air circulation in that small space. With that higher temp, I am MOLD concerned so I spray with "Franksters" Dr. Frankenstein’s “It’s Alive” category - bio-animation spray. Bio-stimulant/Fungicide/Insecticide/Surfacant. They are nanosized colloidal dispersion's prepared from amphiphilic molecules, with a hydrophobic tail and a hydrophilic head. The hydrophobic core acts as a reservoir for hydrophobic drugs (or nutrients, enzymes) and the hydrophilic shell stabilizes the hydrophobic core. When It comes in contact with THC, it basically "scrubs" it, but leaves no residue, in fact, it removes residue. It also kills spider mites, and prevents any type of mildew

TRev

TRev

I dry in my fridge all the time....I have a mini too and raised the temps to get a 50°f internal temp. I add 5v PC fans (wires are thin enough for the door to close properly). In my garage fridge (the families 2nd), I place them on a plate with the fan set up on the plate and use negative (pulls the air, not pushes on them) airflow
My DRY time is roughly 14-17 days depending on density of the buds...when I take them out, they are not 100% dry
After the fridge, they go to cure jars (1 qt mason jars) in a dark closet...bovida 62% packs, open daily for a week...then open once every few days...after about 3 weeks, they have cured...I like to cure 30-90 days....if I can resist using it. Most of the time, we are grinding a week after removing from the fridge...
The mini fridge is a different setup...that small fan puts out a lot of air circulation in that small space. With that higher temp, I am MOLD concerned so I spray with "Franksters" Dr. Frankenstein’s “It’s Alive” category - bio-animation spray. Bio-stimulant/Fungicide/Insecticide/Surfacant. They are nanosized colloidal dispersion's prepared from amphiphilic molecules, with a hydrophobic tail and a hydrophilic head. The hydrophobic core acts as a reservoir for hydrophobic drugs (or nutrients, enzymes) and the hydrophilic shell stabilizes the hydrophobic core. When It comes in contact with THC, it basically "scrubs" it, but leaves no residue, in fact, it removes residue. It also kills spider mites, and prevents any type of mildew
Why can I not find anything on this "Franksters" Dr. Frankenstein’s “It’s Alive” category - bio-animation spray? Got any links you can provide?

Mrb53

Mrb53

Why can I not find anything on this "Franksters" Dr. Frankenstein’s “It’s Alive” category - bio-animation spray? Got any links you can provide?

https://castle-frankenstein.com/its-alive
web not ready for prime time but just email [email protected] for pricing / delivery / particualrs

Kalibudz808

Kalibudz808

No.

Drying in the fridge not cure

Mrb53

Mrb53

Drying in the fridge not cure
for sure...curing always takes place in a controllable environment. Quart mason jars, either darkened or in a dark location, with bovida 62% # 8 pack, burped daily, weekly until done then let the breakdown and transformation begin..Minimum 1 month when you just can't hold out. I cure 2-6 months. Sometimes have to beat the wifey off with a stick as she has no patience or is jonesing for a particular strain

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Have any of you ever freeze dried your bud? When you do, it dries and cures in 24 hours.

skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy

What happened to the OP? Must have locked himself in the fridge

Top Bottom