Drying in the fridge

• Thread starter Hdinkleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hdinkleman

Anyone here do this or have any reccomendations about it?
i have my whole harvest in there right now

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
How are you going to dry in an enclosed space and fridges are high humidity environments to begin with. Mine exceed the 62% rh constantly which is considered ideal for cannabis. Tho for vaping a little dry is better. Near the 55-58.

H

Hdinkleman

its called a lotus dry/cure

44F0B3DA 733F 4259 B732 9D56D4041A44
337BF7E9 B817 46C6 B733 9F3B85CD33BF

those are plates of leaf i set under the condensers so the direct air wasnt blowing on the hanging colas

those big colas are broke down as of earlier tonight and into dominoes pizza boxes and some other brown bags.

basically i am slowing the drying process by putting it in the fridge.
also a terpene called mycyrene is not broken down ( whereas the majority is when hung at room temp for initial dry)

i will keep the buds in paper bags for around two weeks in the fridge.during this time i will move the buds around in the bags every two days or maybe three depending if im lazy or forget. the first day i make sure when i fold the bags shut theres an opening. after the third day i shut them all the way
around then i will start taking sample buds to check for RH

when rh is at 69% ( which i have a longer window to catch because of the slowing down of drying in the fridge rather than hang drying) i will remove from fridge and jar up to start the curing process
once rh has gotten to approx 65% i will use a boveda 62% and then a 58% to assist in the final approach to 60% and then 58% for long term storage.

i will keep for myself the 58%, as soon as it gets to 62% thats what i will donate to friends.

this method preserves terpenes for an exceptional taste. and its pretty much idiot proof. only way to mess it up is to put the buds in when they are too wet after washing, and even if that happens as long as you follow a bi-daily bud rotation in the bags, you will be fine.

try it with just a couple small buds, youll see what i mean. i used to dry leaf trim in the fridge. when i trim bud i would just put bags of trim in the fridge and forget about them. they would be bone dry when i grabbed them and used them for butter.

i never thought to try to do it with bud, i was leaving the bags of leaf in for month, maybe two before i checked them.
same thing happens with buds. just gotta start checking them around day ten to check for RH% to catch them as soon as the rh is proper to jar.

once the buds are in the jar, the terpenes will not have the oppurtunity to evaporate now that the initial dry has taken place.
there you have it, youll get the real taste of your bud.

i hardly eat at home so i have next to nothing in my fridge, was an easy choice for me. you DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS if you have a bunch of odory food and/or baking soda in the fridge. you dont want anything in there except for maybe closed container liquids and maybe juice.
an extra fridge would be ideal if you have the space. or the little mini ones.
youll never dry the same if you do it.
i dont have to waste space drying in my tent anymore and can go straight to the next flowering plant.

H

Hdinkleman

How are you going to dry in an enclosed space and fridges are high humidity environments to begin with. Mine exceed the 62% rh constantly which is considered ideal for cannabis. Tho for vaping a little dry is better. Near the 55-58.

you just need a frost free refridgerator. if yours is built later than 1980 you should be good.

you have to adjust the coolness and put a thermometer in there, you want the temp to be approx 40-45 F
honestly the humidity doesnt matter, yoy just put it in the paper bags with the hole open half closed the first day then seal yhem for the rest of the time until you jar them

i live in a shitty apartment. my fridge is a piece of shit. if my fridge can do it then so can yours. my flowers have all the black cherry sugary grapey goodness of the myrcene terp still in them. adds a whole other taste to the pot that i bet you been missing the whole time. its one of the smells i have always smelled on fresh bud but never been able to taste in my smoke.... until now that is

Last edited:
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

its called a lotus dry/cure

View attachment 870820View attachment 870821

those are plates of leaf i set under the condensers so the direct air wasnt blowing on the hanging colas

those big colas are broke down as of earlier tonight and into dominoes pizza boxes and some other brown bags.

basically i am slowing the drying process by putting it in the fridge.
also a terpene called mycyrene is not broken down ( whereas the majority is when hung at room temp for initial dry)

i will keep the buds in paper bags for around two weeks in the fridge.during this time i will move the buds around in the bags every two days or maybe three depending if im lazy or forget. the first day i make sure when i fold the bags shut theres an opening. after the third day i shut them all the way
around then i will start taking sample buds to check for RH

when rh is at 69% ( which i have a longer window to catch because of the slowing down of drying in the fridge rather than hang drying) i will remove from fridge and jar up to start the curing process
once rh has gotten to approx 65% i will use a boveda 62% and then a 58% to assist in the final approach to 60% and then 58% for long term storage.

i will keep for myself the 58%, as soon as it gets to 62% thats what i will donate to friends.

this method preserves terpenes for an exceptional taste. and its pretty much idiot proof. only way to mess it up is to put the buds in when they are too wet after washing, and even if that happens as long as you follow a bi-daily bud rotation in the bags, you will be fine.

try it with just a couple small buds, youll see what i mean. i used to dry leaf trim in the fridge. when i trim bud i would just put bags of trim in the fridge and forget about them. they would be bone dry when i grabbed them and used them for butter.

i never thought to try to do it with bud, i was leaving the bags of leaf in for month, maybe two before i checked them.
same thing happens with buds. just gotta start checking them around day ten to check for RH% to catch them as soon as the rh is proper to jar.

once the buds are in the jar, the terpenes will not have the oppurtunity to evaporate now that the initial dry has taken place.
there you have it, youll get the real taste of your bud.

i hardly eat at home so i have next to nothing in my fridge, was an easy choice for me. you DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS if you have a bunch of odory food and/or baking soda in the fridge. you dont want anything in there except for maybe closed container liquids and maybe juice.
an extra fridge would be ideal if you have the space. or the little mini ones.
youll never dry the same if you do it.
i dont have to waste space drying in my tent anymore and can go straight to the next flowering plant.
And that’s what I mean this is something ima try now thanks

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
you just need a frost free refridgerator. if yours is built later than 1980 you should be good.

you have to adjust the coolness and put a thermometer in there, you want the temp to be approx 40-45 F
honestly the humidity doesnt matter, yoy just put it in the paper bags with the hole open half closed the first day then seal yhem for the rest of the time until you jar them

i live in a shitty apartment. my fridge is a piece of shit. if my fridge can do it then so can yours. my flowers have all the black cherry sugary grapey goodness of the myrcene terp still in them. adds a whole other taste to the pot that i bet you been missing the whole time. its one of the smells i have always smelled on fresh bud but never been able to taste in my smoke.... until now that is

I already dry and cure in a sufficiently cool place and store in a dark cold place so i have no problems with smell or taste. I live in a humid place and the fridge i can utilise for this is a not a frost free fridge. So it frequently goes over 62%. But if it works for you thats good.

H

Hdinkleman

I already dry and cure in a sufficiently cool place and store in a dark cold place so i have no problems with smell or taste. I live in a humid place and the fridge i can utilise for this is a not a frost free fridge. So it frequently goes over 62%. But if it works for you thats good.

just do it
just do it and see
just donit

FTCG

FTCG

There is such thing as a freeze dry. So I don't doubt it will dry in the freezer.

Careful not to leave it in there too long. You may want to check it regularly to avoid making it crispy and brittle.

H

Hdinkleman

There is such thing as a freeze dry. So I don't doubt it will dry in the freezer.

Careful not to leave it in there too long. You may want to check it regularly to avoid making it crispy and brittle.

in the fridge not the freezer

H

Hdinkleman

Woops, the fridge should be more forgiving. I've lost structure and quality throwing packs in the freezer.

i experimented with the freezer before and it didnt work. the temp cant be freezing.

even ed rosenthals freezer method he says the temp has to be 35f for it to work.
the water in the bud cannot be frozen or it will not evaporate out of the bud

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have heard of this and considering doing it with some at the end of this grow. Just started another round so will be a while. I think the drying time is somewhere around a month if i'm remembering correctly. Not sure I would go balls deep and dry my whole crop like that until i have tried it and I won't be using those boveda packs just dry then jar and cure using a hygrometer

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

some people must be really bored... and have an extra fridge
really? throw the crop in a fridge for a month?
Very fair statement. I'll probably give a try on some and see if the extra time is worth the difference if any in quality. I'm not expecting miracles, more of a curiousity factor. If I can get a bit better smoke I don't mind waiting

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Very fair statement. I'll probably give a try on some and see if the extra time is worth the difference if any in quality. I'm not expecting miracles, more of a curiousity factor. If I can get a bit better smoke I don't mind waiting

id say you will keep some of the weight but as far as a better smoke..?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll post back in probably like 4 months I'm only 3 weeks in from seed at this point

H

Hdinkleman

I have heard of this and considering doing it with some at the end of this grow. Just started another round so will be a while. I think the drying time is somewhere around a month if i'm remembering correctly. Not sure I would go balls deep and dry my whole crop like that until i have tried it and I won't be using those boveda packs just dry then jar and cure using a hygrometer

its 2 weeks in the fridge to get to approx 69% rh.
i post on a different forum, everyone does it there and they have been perfecting it since 2016

the thing that clicked with me is this....
i use to get pot on the black market.
im on the east coast, it was grown on the west coast by a buncha chjnese people.
the weed in the summer would always suck. either it had some shitty smell, was premature or was molded to shit was the main three things. the guy i got it from talkked to the growers in chinese. he would tell me they said the summer is hot season and cannot grow better. or some dumb excuse as to why the lbs were garbage. anyways during the fall and winter the stuff would be bomb, and my friend would always say its from the same chinese growers.
now that i have been growing im starting to understand more. my friend always said its too hot and they have no ac. and knowing what i know now none of this shit was “cured” so to speak. it would be almost moist when i got it in turkey bags.
they were just hang drying and “curing” in the turkey bags as it was shipped over.

so what that tells me is. when they hang dryed the plants in the summer, the weed sucked. higher temps were what was causing the mold, the loss of taste or shitty taste.
but the same growers would pump out bomb shit in the fall and winter. probably because they were hang drying the weed in a cold ass room in the winter time in california. it dryed slower under cooler temps and when it got shipped all the terps were preserved better which made it smell dank when i got it back home.

now this is all speculation, but i assume what i am thinking is not far from the truth. its a fact that terpenes fresh off the plant are volatile and evaporate very quickly when the plant is first harvested. the cold temps 40-50F preserve those terpenes. this post is not meccasarily just about the refridgerator, its more about INITIAL DRYING IN COLD TEMPERATURES 40-50F.
ed rosenthal was describing this in his book when he talks about freeze drying. problem is most of us cannot afford a climate controlled humidor thats able to maintain 34F so the next best thing is the fridgerator.

i work in a kitchen, i have seen unwrapped cheese in the walk in cooler that someone forgot about for a month. its dried to shit.
any frost free fridge dries things out. so what we are doing is our initial dry BEFORE CURE in the fridge which brings us as close to34F as possible until the buds get to 69% RH.

the fridge is easier because there IS A BIG WINDOW of time to catch the 65-70% rh which we want before we jar
IT IS APPROX 10-14 DAYS.
at that point we jar, and furthermore the cold INHIBITS MOLD so we dont need to worry as much about that either.

WHAT WE DO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT
make sure to move the buds every day pr two, because the bud WILL SQUISH UP AND ROT if excess moisture on one side for extended period of time.
just like asparagus at work that has been piled together, the heads mush up if wet and then stored on top of other asparagus.

so basically the fridge is idiot proof because who wouldnt want to check their buds at least once a day? as long as you do that you will be guaranteed the buds arent rotting from laying on a single side.

MYCYRENE is a terpene that makes a chemical reaction in the brain that allows thc to enter your bloodstream. it is also THE FIRST TERPENE EVAPORATED AFTER HARVEST. it has a black cherryish grape smell. IF YOU HAVE SMELLED THAT AND DIDNT TASTE IT YOUR POT WAS DRIED AT TOO HIGH A TEMP and/or TOO QUICKLY. i dont know about you but i specifically know the smell from growing blueberry strains. and it also allows thc to get you HIGHER. i will keep that in my pot thank you very much lol.

oh yeah on my other forum we have memeber that have purchased a cheap fridge or a college dorm fridge for this exact purpose.

i am blessing you guys with this info, its called a lotus dry/cure.
google ed rosenthals sublimation drying method and it will have more of an explanation than i can give.

i know it works, i know it that i put my ENTIRE HARVEST, except for a few buds to smoke that i need dryed quicker, which is at least a half a pound, into my fridge.

and also i do a microgrow in my tent, this saves me at least a week if time that i normally would have spent hang drying in the tent.
whether you dry it in the fridge or not, you WANT temps under 50F during the initial drying. 99% of people are not going to get that temperature at room temperature in their house without a/c.
and all of those people HAVE A FRIDGE.

BOOM case closed, your welcome

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom