Drying in the fridge

• Thread starter Hdinkleman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
detroitjoe

detroitjoe

its 2 weeks in the fridge to get to approx 69% rh.
i post on a different forum, everyone does it there and they have been perfecting it since 2016

the thing that clicked with me is this....
i use to get pot on the black market.
im on the east coast, it was grown on the west coast by a buncha chjnese people.
the weed in the summer would always suck. either it had some shitty smell, was premature or was molded to shit was the main three things. the guy i got it from talkked to the growers in chinese. he would tell me they said the summer is hot season and cannot grow better. or some dumb excuse as to why the lbs were garbage. anyways during the fall and winter the stuff would be bomb, and my friend would always say its from the same chinese growers.
now that i have been growing im starting to understand more. my friend always said its too hot and they have no ac. and knowing what i know now none of this shit was “cured” so to speak. it would be almost moist when i got it in turkey bags.
they were just hang drying and “curing” in the turkey bags as it was shipped over.

so what that tells me is. when they hang dryed the plants in the summer, the weed sucked. higher temps were what was causing the mold, the loss of taste or shitty taste.
but the same growers would pump out bomb shit in the fall and winter. probably because they were hang drying the weed in a cold ass room in the winter time in california. it dryed slower under cooler temps and when it got shipped all the terps were preserved better which made it smell dank when i got it back home.

now this is all speculation, but i assume what i am thinking is not far from the truth. its a fact that terpenes fresh off the plant are volatile and evaporate very quickly when the plant is first harvested. the cold temps 40-50F preserve those terpenes. this post is not meccasarily just about the refridgerator, its more about INITIAL DRYING IN COLD TEMPERATURES 40-50F.
ed rosenthal was describing this in his book when he talks about freeze drying. problem is most of us cannot afford a climate controlled humidor thats able to maintain 34F so the next best thing is the fridgerator.

i work in a kitchen, i have seen unwrapped cheese in the walk in cooler that someone forgot about for a month. its dried to shit.
any frost free fridge dries things out. so what we are doing is our initial dry BEFORE CURE in the fridge which brings us as close to34F as possible until the buds get to 69% RH.

the fridge is easier because there IS A BIG WINDOW of time to catch the 65-70% rh which we want before we jar
IT IS APPROX 10-14 DAYS.
at that point we jar, and furthermore the cold INHIBITS MOLD so we dont need to worry as much about that either.

WHAT WE DO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT
make sure to move the buds every day pr two, because the bud WILL SQUISH UP AND ROT if excess moisture on one side for extended period of time.
just like asparagus at work that has been piled together, the heads mush up if wet and then stored on top of other asparagus.

so basically the fridge is idiot proof because who wouldnt want to check their buds at least once a day? as long as you do that you will be guaranteed the buds arent rotting from laying on a single side.

MYCYRENE is a terpene that makes a chemical reaction in the brain that allows thc to enter your bloodstream. it is also THE FIRST TERPENE EVAPORATED AFTER HARVEST. it has a black cherryish grape smell. IF YOU HAVE SMELLED THAT AND DIDNT TASTE IT YOUR POT WAS DRIED AT TOO HIGH A TEMP and/or TOO QUICKLY. i dont know about you but i specifically know the smell from growing blueberry strains. and it also allows thc to get you HIGHER. i will keep that in my pot thank you very much lol.

oh yeah on my other forum we have memeber that have purchased a cheap fridge or a college dorm fridge for this exact purpose.

i am blessing you guys with this info, its called a lotus dry/cure.
google ed rosenthals sublimation drying method and it will have more of an explanation than i can give.

i know it works, i know it that i put my ENTIRE HARVEST, except for a few buds to smoke that i need dryed quicker, which is at least a half a pound, into my fridge.

and also i do a microgrow in my tent, this saves me at least a week if time that i normally would have spent hang drying in the tent.
whether you dry it in the fridge or not, you WANT temps under 50F during the initial drying. 99% of people are not going to get that temperature at room temperature in their house without a/c.
and all of those people HAVE A FRIDGE.

BOOM case closed, your welcome
Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it...i really do...and if it works for you, BRAVO to you.
make sure its not a smart fridge

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

In the eighties and nineties nothing was cured, everything either was smoked or went out the door after being dried;

In the last 4 years I've been back growing I've started curing in jars but I've recently (2yrs ago) made a big change after listening to some more experienced growers

Since the change I've not had a single jar of hay.

I carefully control my sealed drying chambers humidity bringing it to 60.5 RH for 4 days and then to 59.5 RH for an indeterminate number of days after that..

..until I can put it in a jar with a hygrometer for 12 hours and have the RH in the jar 60% or below, nothing is ever jarred above 60% RH

Then it's burped 1× day for a relatively short time, maybe 2 weeks and then vacuum sealed and properly stored

Not trying to tell anybody this is the right way to do it only that this is how I do it and since I started doing it this way I've not had one single bad jar and a year later when I open them they are still like the day I vacuum sealed them for storage. Hope this helps

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I'll post back in probably like 4 months I'm only 3 weeks in from seed at this point
TY..Saves me the trouble of emptying the mini fridge for a trial.

I am too lazy, but could really try next chop (in a few days)..Maybe if I smoke some malawi x panama I could get motivated..LOL

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

In the eighties and nineties nothing was cured, everything either was smoked or went out the door after being dried;

In the last 4 years I've been back growing I've started curing in jars but I've recently (2yrs ago) made a big change after listening to some more experienced growers

I carefully control my sealed drying chambers humidity bringing it to 60.5 RH for 4 days and then to 59.5 RH for an indeterminate number of days after that..

..until I can put it in a jar with a hygrometer for 12 hours and have the RH in the jar 60% or below, nothing is ever jarred above 60% RH

Then it's burped 1× day for a relatively short time, maybe 2 weeks and then vacuum sealed and properly stored

Not trying to tell anybody this is the right way to do it only that this is how I do it and since I started doing it this way I've not had one single bad jar and a year later when I open them they are still like the day I vacuum sealed them for storage. Hope this helps
Was just thinking of the old smoke back then..we smoked it anyway. I just chuck the buds into jars when dried w/ a 62% Boveda. If they get too wet..I open the jars and spread out the buds..yada, yada. Just smoked some 1.5 yr old GG#4 x Cookie Wreck..all brown, but no loss of potency or flavor that I can notice. I would need a walkin fridge to dry an entire harvest..LOL

Winter323

Winter323

A few years ago, there was an organic dispensary before they went over to salts, that use to have some of the best 300-400/oz true organic in the state, Headquaters MMC in Lyons. The owner who I would trade cuts with said the best way to cure was to use a walk in refrigerator, which I somewhat agree, but I didnt really care for the complex organic taste is was better tasting than most flower around, just tasted very earthy with a laundry list of 20 organic ingredients on the label. I still liked my flower at the time better, in terms of taste because it was cleaner.

In any event, this is not practical the bigger you get, so for a small amount you feel like testing sure this could work, but if you do a 20x20 room and need to harvest you are going to need to get a walk in lol j/s.

Then second question is do you really save terepenes? I wouldn't do your whole crop like that, might do a side by side test. Whenever I have tried to do side by side curring tests it just becomes too daunting which is why is nice to experiment with a small amount. If you feel the best about the fridge method maybe do 80% of it in the fridge, 10% of it just hanging in a room, and 10% fast dry method in a dehydrator @ 100 or whatever. Does a 2 day dry @ 110 F save more terepenes and produce a better taste than 30 days in the fridge? You are as good as judge as any, better in the fact that you are trying it before bad mouthing which is more than you can say for most of the responders here, but that is the nature of this forum, and has been for some time. Its become more of a hostile seed selling market than what it was pre 2012/ DoubleD days.

In terms of thought, I would say before the cure starts it doesnt really matter what you do, and I like to get it dry quickly so the leaves will just fall right off making trimming 10x faster by using a bag trimming method, then once its trimmed redrydrate and cure in jars or even vaccum bags, then once you hit the right humidity seal it up.

I would just use that fridge to grow some azures if you want to make good use of it 😇👨‍✈️

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Winter323

Winter323

One thing I saw that is similar to your method but a little less extreme is how the jungle boys harvest/cure (owned by Ivan/ JackMayOffer who use to post on here).

First they let the bud go dry on the stock, then into a harvest in a room kept at 60 degrees/ 60% humidity for 2 weeks before they go into jars to sell. They say its similar to letting it cure right away. Pretty nice method for how big they are.

H

Hdinkleman

if you are jarring at 60% rh you are missing most of the curing window.
curing window is 69-60% rh

H

Hdinkleman

i am trying to harvest a poind every 8 weeks.
i understand in a practical sense anymore than that and you need a bigger fridge.

this method is more for people like me that are trying to grow strictly connoseur tasting bud for myself.

believe me if i was harvesting anymore than 1 lb at a time it probably would not be practical lol.

i am just trying to dry/cure maximum anount of flavor and terpene retention because i want to smoke the best bud that my plants can offer

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

ive been trying to keep my fingers away from the keyboard because i do not want to get to emotional. yes i said it, EMOTIONAL.

im sorry i failed.

this bullshit of drying/curing in a fridge is just that; BULLSHIT.

" i just want to smoke the best buds" ... COMPLETE hog wash.

Its persons like you who screw the industry up by taking something that isnt broken and trying to fix it for your own selfish gains.
its idiots like you who aid and allow big industry to come in and wipe out the mom n pop guy and phuck it up for everyone.

i personally grow more than 1500 plants in various stages at a time....and i look after 1000's of plants.
how the fuck am i going to dry 100 kilos of meds?

Its not rocket science nor is med production reserved for the elite. ANYone can produce great quality meds with nothing more than just basics.
a plant, water,soil, sun and air. thats all it takes.

Experience keeps the cost of production down to the point where the cultivator can keep the operation going, and the patients get the meds.

but then we have people like you..who just want to " smoke the best".... the best looking" the best this the best that, quoting this guy and quoting that guy.

now ask yourself this ....what did it cost you in terms of time and money from start to finish to achieve your "best" ?
my worst batch is 1000 times better that what you will ever produce.

get the fuck out of here with this bullshit.
i would feed you to my dog.

Last edited:
H

Hdinkleman

ive been trying to keep my fingers away from the keyboard because i do not want to get to emotional. yes i said it, EMOTIONAL.

im sorry i failed.

Its persons like you who screw the industry up by taking something that isnt broken and trying to fix it for your own selfish gains.
its idiots like you who aid and allow big industry to come in and wipe out the mom n pop guy and phuck it up for everyone.

i personally grow more than 1500 plants in various stages at a time....and i look after 1000's of plants.

Its not rocket science nor is med production reserved for the elite. ANYone can produce great quality meds with nothing more than just basics.

Experience keeps the cost of production down to the point where the cultivator can keep the operation going, and the patients get the meds.

but then we have people like you..who just want to " smoke the best".... the best looking" the best this the best that, quoting this guy and quoting that guy.

now ask yourself this ....what did it cost you in terms of time and money from start to finish to achieve your "best" ?

youre a
fucking bitchass punk.
go play with your thousands of plants then.
i can dry my own shit without your help dont worry about that.
dont you have 100s of pounds to go take care of then.
the fuck outta here with your bullshit

go float your own ego on your own thread bro
i have stated MULTIPLE TIMES this thread is for people with small grows TRYING TO GET THE BEST FLAVOR FROM THEIR PERSONAL WEED
not some big time 100000s of plants grower who wants to talk shit

oh and if you really grew 100000s of plants wouldnt you have enough money to have a more sophisticated system of drying than just hanging a bjncha plants in your bedroom.

yeah because thats what the commercial pot industry does. sticks in their old ways and never evolves.

take your dinosaur JR fossilized ass the fuck off my thread then

sure you failed at alot more than youre willing to admit lmao

H

Hdinkleman

seen 1000s of dumb people like you in my life, reason you dont see anythjng better than your shit is because you DONT WANT TO

too old and stupid to change anything

i mean if i grew 1000000s of lbs of pot i would think i had enough money for a goddamn walk in fridge in a mansion lmao.

but we wont get into that now will we,
fuck outta here bitch

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

im sorry i failed.

I'm sorry but how exactly is this guy drying weed in his fridge screwing the industry up? Get the fuck outta here with that shit. I'm bout to throw my shit in the fridge just cuz u said that, and I want the best tasting buds off my plants😂😂

H

Hdinkleman

I'm sorry but how exactly is this guy drying weed in his fridge screwing the industry up? Get the fuck outta here with that shit. I'm bout to throw my shit in the fridge just cuz u said that, and I want the best tasting buds off my plants😂😂

exactly, this dude acts like im straling his customers or something....
oh wait maybe people wont buy his bud if they know how to dry their own in proper conditions that allow for better taste than the millions of pounds he has grown

😿🤮😎

H

Hdinkleman

i mean shit if i grew a million pounds in my lifetime and sold them for a 1000$ a piece....?

well you do the math he must be a rich muhfkka
so whys he on thcfarmer hating on us microgrowers trying to dry our product properly?

makes no sense, he must be having social problems dealing with his millions in the bank lol

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

exactly, this dude acts like im straling his customers or something....
oh wait maybe people wont buy his bud if they know how to dry their own in proper conditions that allow for better taste than the millions of pounds he has grown

😿🤮😎
Yea, I've seen this dude on here before. Seems like he's always talking some shit... people can dry however the fuck they want. If I had an extra fridge I actually would try it. If anything, trying to improve the quality of your bud HELPS the industry.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

im sorry i failed.

Not everyone grows for money or the reasons you do... If you think that then i'm not sure what else to say. I grow purely to get the best buds with the best flavor I can not for profit. Not in it for money and this method is definitely not for everyone. I'm willing to give it a go and by that i'm not defending its legitimacy until i verify it to myself. Whats the harm in throwing a few buds into a bag and waiting? Nothing if you grow so much... your choice... your weed... why so concerned about others? I think your BSing a bit but hey I'm skeptical by nature so maybe your not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom