Drying Racks vs Hanging

• Drying Racks

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • Hanging

Votes: 72 69.2%

• Total voters
S

sfzoo

i've just recently bought drying racks, and love them!!

most even dry yet. haven't noticed any flat spots. and fits a ton. its also easy to jar up and/or re dry if necessary.

opt1c

opt1c

flat spots only happen if you lay buds on top of buds... the drying racks work great for skipping the hanging part and i can fit probably 3x the bud in the drying rack than i could hanging it in the same space... so if you're low on space they're great for that aspect

P

paulycali

Lots of great info farmers. Appreciate it :)

I just really wanted to figure out the main purpose of the drying racks and i now fully understand

I will just continue hang drying and then placing them directly into jars for the curing process. I rarely use the paper bags. Seems like only when i grow multiple strains and there drying times are oh so slightly different i feel i need to throw them in a paper bag for a day or possible two. Just to be safe

So for these drying racks i think i am going to pass. Not my style at all. Maybe one day they will come in use but for now i am sticking to the norm

Looks like this thread will go on for a while

Thanks again for all the info farmers and good luck on your future grows :)

W

whitetrain sav

Do you guys that are experienced have any suggestions I have a trinmpro rotor and wanna make use of it with my popcorn but I just did a batch of bubba and normally is some killl buy came out smellin like hay and lost tons of crystals which was expected but doesanyone have a suggestion to get some smell on them o\r else its worhtless unless you want some Canadian Beasters

N

noone88

Personally, the best results have been hang dry the main colas and other large flowers on the stem in a dark room, temp and humidity controlled. It usually takes 7-9 days to dry, but it also seems to cure it at the same time. When it is dry, you can buck the flowers off the stem, do some trimming, and it's ready for market.

When you harvest by pulling the flowers from the stem and running it through a trimmer (I have a trimpro rotor), the flowers do dry faster (4-5 days), but the aromatics aren't there. It takes about at least 2 weeks in a bottle for the aromatics to come out when you harvest this way.

We do a combination of both. We hang dry all the main/large flowers. We then run the smaller flowers through the trim pro and drying rack/cure in bottles.

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Hanging's preferable, unless you like your buds to be smashed looking and commercial.

Other than that, the methods aren't too different...

M

mrdizzle

Ive found the same problem as noone, what I do is let let get bone ass dry on the nets, then I bag them and add a couple of small pieces of moist spong, then seal it for a day, and repeat until the herb has the correct moisture

the sponges about 1inx3in, ran under water then squeezed usually hold about 10g worth of water, and usually take 1.5days to be sucked up by the nugs.

I have found the smell goes thru the roof.

W

whitetrain sav

The water absorbs though and it prolly smells like boo

Ive found the same problem as noone, what I do is let let get bone ass dry on the nets, then I bag them and add a couple of small pieces of moist spong, then seal it for a day, and repeat until the herb has the correct moisture

the sponges about 1inx3in, ran under water then squeezed usually hold about 10g worth of water, and usually take 1.5days to be sucked up by the nugs.

I have found the smell goes thru the roof.

W

whitetrain sav

Sounds like a good idea noone do you then mix the 2 back together the hanging stuff and the rotor stuff?

B

Badwolf

so for a first time grower would this be
step 1, trim wet and hang dry till branchs snap? what humididity range and for how long?
step 2 final trim, brown bag.. for how long or till what changes? humidity range?
step 3 put in jars burp several times daily and keep at what humidity level and for how long?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
so for a first time grower would this be
step 1, trim wet and hang dry till branchs snap? what humididity range and for how long?
step 2 final trim, brown bag.. for how long or till what changes? humidity range?
step 3 put in jars burp several times daily and keep at what humidity level and for how long?
Thread necromancer

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Need some input here farmers:

If you have done a side by side experiment with the drying racks and the hanging process please share your info

From your experience what were the end results when using a drying rack compared to the normal hanging process?

Do these drying racks work?

Thanks farmers :)
Drying racks work fine for trim. Butbthe buds i would hang them for better airflow.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Hang em high, drying racks suck in general. Keep it natural for trimming. Trimming wet and those nasty trim machines just fuck up your babies. Trimming wet releases chlorophyll on your babies resulting in bitter smoke, ackhh. Absolutely horrible flavor. Dry trimming by peeps that respect the finished flower is what I want to see after the effort that has been put into my grow. Trimming machines are made for the establishment that wants to create a tobbaco style product for the masses. Hence the large flood of garbage weed in dispensarys in the legal states. Walk into a legal state dispensary look at the products, it all sucks. Just my opinion.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"Trimming wet releases chlorophyll on your babies resulting in bittersmoke, "
or,
trimming dry, your buds will contain more leaf matter because the sugar leaves will dry and shrink back into the buds. aka, your smoking shake.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
"Trimming wet releases chlorophyll on your babies resulting in bittersmoke, "
or,
trimming dry, your buds will contain more leaf matter because the sugar leaves will dry and shrink back into the buds. aka, your smoking shake.
I don't know what your trimming? Sounds like your not very good at trimming.lol all my shake ends up as hash.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
50 f at 55 Rh nugs tight and heavy. With a dry trim on the branch. Machine trim, drying rack= flat buds on one side artificial
Trim all around. Buds have no character or texture with a machine it's just blaaa. Absolutely horrible.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Everytime your buds touch something they lose a small amount of trichomes. Whether it be fingers, scissors, or drying racks.

So the key to maintaining potency is to handle them as little as possible and hang drying them.

After hang drying hold the stem while trimming. And as you cut of each bud let them drop directly into their final resting place for curing (jars usually)

This minimizes handling and gets them to stop moving once in their jars. Which also reduces lost trichomes.

Top Bottom