Dudded, Stunted, and Runted plants...

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

"Vigorous-growing lateral shoots were observed emerging from certain pepper cultivars infected with cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) about 2 years after infection. They exhibited no CMV symptoms."

TMV infected! This looks like that weird wrinkling.
View attachment 409524

I have indeed just started to bump into this new experience of dudding plants. I have noticed that some of my plants have had this mosaic wrinkle in my plants. i foolishly cloned some of the mom that had this trait. and i am now spotting that they are indeed dudding out. My flower room had a plant that were budding so frosty and crystally, but the bud sizes are only about a quarter big. i thought to myself. maybe it was just that plant. now i am noticing that i have dudding plants and that the ones that were dudding has A LOT more nodes and are skinny and they are just way too close. it looks like a completely different strain all together. I have also noticed that i did A LOT OF CLONES and i even took some from the sick mother as well. now i have to weed out all those that were cloned from the mother of the sick ones, and cull them all. i have just gone thru my veg and culled the sick mothers. so i dont accidently take clones from them anymore. But i wish i've come across this thread a lot sooner. Has anyone treated their sick plants with aspirin before? could that be a cure? but i've read a virus cannot be cured. and that is why that it's called a virus instead of a bacterial infection. physan 20 i've read can kill viruses but is it a cure? how do i use this physan 20? is it a root drench?

Last edited:
F

Freakshow

just google physan 20 and a whole slew of things come up.

I've gotten some wrinkling and yellowing on my plants. The yellowing looks ike calcium def and goes away when i give them calmag. The wrinkling and mutation of leaves causes me some worry but i have a few plants growing out of it, meaning the new growth looks good/normal. keep an eye on the new growth.

For me, it seems the "dudded" plants take nute sensitivity to whole new level. not sure why but i can't seem to get them up over 4-500 ppm in feeding them without them completely yellowing.

Last edited:
F

Freakshow

i have taken clones of all of my old moms and put them into fresh ProMix HP-CC. They have been fed Mother Earth Tea Grow and cal mag and a few have grown out of their funk. The new genetics i popped are doing very well so far . So maybe I was off base in thinking this was the same thing many of you are fighting. I do know whatever happened to my moms caused the plants to dud in flower - no trichome development, no stretch, very sensitive to nutes, very little root development as well.

Myco

Myco

So has the dudding died down for some people or something? This thread just kinda petered out... and the thread over at that other forum ended up getting locked because it was a constant bickering match...

I ended up with a couple of duds on my most recent run... I've been talking to someone that runs multiple rooms that was getting duds left and right, usually on the popular clone only's. This individual is convinced stem nematodes are the issue, started treating with Chitosan, and hasn't had duds since...

By reading through the last few pages of this thread, it really sounds like some people are experiencing different issues than what most people refer to as "dudding"...

@d0rk2dafullest - although the super close and fucked up looking internode structure is indicative of a dud, the other problems you described aren't. A dud will produce no resin, little to no smell or a grassy smell, yield nothing, and will have stalks so brittle that you wouldn't even be able to weave yourself a goddamn hemp basket with the fucking things lol... But yeah, I just wanted to mention that the 'duds' that people are getting don't produce resin-encrusted colas with simply a lack of yield... it's more like an elite clone only transforms itself into a hemp strain. As far as aspirin, aspirin won't be the secret cure to dudding, but aspirin does contain salicylic acid, which does boost the immune system of a plant, which could improve your situation. Aloe vera juice is good for this... Anyway, I don't know if your issue is the same as the other 'duds' most people speak of... post some pics.

@Freakshow - That doesn't really sound like 'dudding' either. Either you're dealing with root aphids, broad/cyclamen or hemp russet mites... or an entirely different issue. Post some pics.

Although I'm personally subscribed to the stem nematode theory, and will be doing some experiments with Chitosan and some other, more harsh approaches to see if I can keep dudding at bay... I'm curious if other folks are still experiencing this, or what you've done to counteract.

I never want to see a fucking dud in my rooms again :mad:

Like I mentioned, duds will have brittle, super weak stems, no flex whatsoever. And as they grow, they will actually split, like so:

Dud2

And here's the duddy, hempy, no resin, no smell, airy, bullshit DUD. Which was a verified cut of Fire OG...

Dud1

I should've taken a picture of the foliage and structure of the plant, which is also a tell-tale sign...

*sigh*

Myco

Myco

For anybody who may be interested... Here is a great read from a university on chitosan. This is a copy/paste of the section that concerns agricultural uses, and I think it's pretty interesting. Whether you believe duds are caused by nematodes, fusarium sp, or other pathogen or virus, chitosan could be gold. And like I mentioned in my previous post, I do know somebody that was getting dudded, starting applying chitosan and hasn't seen a dud since.

It's a bit of a long read, but worth it. Discusses use as a fertilizer, soil conditioner, biopesticide, bioinsecticide, bionematicide, as well as boosting plant defense systems, and its' effectiveness against virus and pathogens.

Is Chitosan a New Panacea? Areas of Application
Susana P. Miranda Castro and Eva G. Lizárraga Paulín

38. Chitosan in agriculture
Due to the antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties of chitosan, it has been used
successfully in agriculture in recent years: in plant protection, like growth promoter, in soil
correction, enhancer of secondary metabolites production, and activator of defense
mechanisms to mention a few.

39. Seed coating
Chitosan application can be done by different ways: in the seed, in the soil or by foliar way.
In seeds, it has been used as a coating material for cereals, nuts, fruits and vegetables [206-
208]. It has been shown that this way of application alters permeability of the seed plasma
membrane, increasing the concentrations of sugars and proline, and enhancing peroxidase
(POD), catalase (CAT), phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL) and tyrosine ammonia-lyase
(TAL) activities [207,209]. By this way, germination rates increases significantly [ 210] and
seedlings germinate quicker, better, and vigorously [211-214]. Chitosan is used not only in
seed coatings, but also in fruits and vegetables, because it gives more firmness and it
promotes diminution of the normal microbiological charge [215] increasing the product life.

40. Leaf coating
Chitosan foliar application increases stomatal conductance and reduces transpiration,
without affecting plant height, root length, leaf area or plant biomass [216]. When chitosan is
sprayed in leaves, abscisic acid (ABA) content increases [217]. It promotes the activation of
defense mechanisms which allow plants to deal with stress and to defend against diseases
due to the antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial nature of chitosan [218,219].

41. Fertilizer
By applying chitosan in soil, it has been demonstrated that it stops plant wilting because it
acts as a potent fertilizer due to the high concentration of nitrogen content in its molecular
structure [220,221]. Also, it has been used as a soil amendment, controlling diseases caused
by fungal species like Fusarium acuminatum, Fusarium sp, Cylindrocladium floridanum and
Aspergillus flavus [208, 218, 222].

42. Plants growth promoter
Chitosan acts as plant growth promoter in some crops like Faba bean plant, radish,
passion fruit, potato, gerbera, cabbage, soybean and other crops when it is incorporated in
solution, increasing plant production and protecting plants against pathogens too.
Chitosan has a significant effect on growth rates of roots, shoots, flowering, and number
of flowers [219, 223].

43. Plant self defense
Plants react naturally against most of biological and environmental adverse conditions, but
sometimes defense has to be induced in order to fight against harder threats. It has been
reported that chitosan is a great biopolymer used for this purpose, because it induces
defense reactions in some plants, sensitizing them in order to increase their responses
against pathogens attack. Some substances that get favored due to the presence of chitin and
chitosan are phytoalexines, pathogenesis related proteins (PR), protein inhibitors, chitinases
and glucanases, as well as Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) and hydrogen peroxide
generation [224]. This is because chitosan interacts with cellular DNA generating multiple
biochemical reactions in the plant, generating a rapid response in the plant against
pathogens attack. For this reason, chitosan has been considered as an elicitor, namely a
defense mechanism activator in plants, generating a process at cellular level in which plant
cells get and transduce biological signals in order to activate defense responses [225]. There
are some specific elicitor-binding proteins which act like physiological receptors in signal
transduction cascades, varying their specificity depending on the studied system, which
allows researchers to find the molecular bases that origin the signal interchanges between
host plants and microbial pathogens [225-227].
Not only at biochemical level but also at microbiological level, chitosan is effective on
plant protection. It has been found that application of chitosan in plants by the ways
mentioned in sections above reduces visibly the damages caused in the plants by
pathogenic fungi because of the antibiotic nature of chitosan [215, 218]. Because of being
a polysaccharide, chitosan acts as a bioremediator molecule that stimulates the activity of
beneficial microorganisms in the soil such as Bacillus, fluorescent, Pseudomonas,
Actinomycetes, Mycorrhiza and Rhizobacteria [228-233], which alter the microbial
equilibrium in the rhizosphere disadvantaging plant pathogens, making them able to
compete through mechanisms such as parasitism, antibiosis, and induced resistance
[234,235].

44. Bioinsecticide
Chitosan research has been focused principally in controlling bacterial and fungal burden;
nevertheless there are some investigations about the use of chitosan as bioinseciticide. One
of the first findings was that chitosan is active against some insects like lepidopterous and
homopterous, with a mortality of 80%, and this percentage increases when increasing oligochitosan
concentration too [236].
Not only chitosan, but also its derivates (as N-acetyl (NAC) and N-benzyl (NBC)
chitosan derivatives) had shown significant insecticidal activities superior to those of
chitosan itself, particularly against species like Spodoptera littoralis, an important
destructive pest of subtropical and tropical agriculture in northern Europe, affecting
cotton, vegetable and ornamental crops [237]. Some other insects have been successfully
attacked by chitosan derivates, like Helicoverpa armigera (H¨ubn), Plutella xylostella (L),
Aphis gossypii (Glover), Metopolophium dirhodum (Walker), Hyalopterus pruni
(Geoffroy), Rhopalosiphum padi L, Sitobium avenae (Fabricius) and Myzus persicae
(Sulzer) [238].
Active chitinases from chitosan are relevant enzymes for biopesticide control mechanisms,
being the hydrolysis of chitin-containing media a common practice to evaluate the efficiency
of bioinsecticide organisms. It has been considered to add chitin derivatives to formulations
The Complex World of Polysaccharides
containing these microorganisms to increase biopesticide effectiveness, to provide a
favorable developmental environment and resistance against adverse conditions [239]. New
chitosan derivatives with insecticidal or fungicidal properties may thus serve as good
alternatives for broad-spectrum and highly persistent pesticides because they are non-toxic
to vertebrates and humans, and have a biodegradable matrix.

45. Biopesticide
Tricoderma sp. and Bacilus sp. are microorganisms which often increase chitin and chitosan
production, enhancing its efficiency to control pathogenic microorganisms and pests [238].
Native populations of biocontrol microorganisms became increased by adding chitin in soils
infected with pathogenic agents. Thereafter, these endogenous control strains can be
isolated, cultured and potentially used as biological controls. It has also been demonstrated
a significant increase in chitinolytic microorganisms even in very infertile soils like in dunes,
improving soil microbiota and its properties [239, 241].

46. Bionematicide
Nematodes proliferation can be controlled when chitosan is applied in soil, because
chitinolytic microorganisms proliferate destroying nematode eggs and degrading the chitincontaining
cuticle of young nematodes [240]. Because of the high content of nitrogen in
chitosan and chitin molecules, concentrations of ammonia emissions increase turning toxic
to nematodes which principally affect plant roots and shoots [239, 243].
Further research is still required to find more applications of chitosan in agriculture, but
nowadays this polymer means to be a cheap and easy material to deal with crop problems
pre-harvest, harvest and post-harvest level.

Last edited:
Bluzboy

Bluzboy

For anybody who may be interested... Here is a great read from a university on chitosan. This is a copy/paste of the section that concerns agricultural uses, and I think it's pretty interesting. Whether you believe duds are caused by nematodes, fusarium sp, or other pathogen or virus, chitosan could be gold. And like I mentioned in my previous post, I do know somebody that was getting dudded, starting applying chitosan and hasn't seen a dud since.

It's a bit of a long read, but worth it. Discusses use as a fertilizer, soil conditioner, biopesticide, bioinsecticide, bionematicide, as well as boosting plant defense systems, and its' effectiveness against virus and pathogens.

Is Chitosan a New Panacea? Areas of Application
Susana P. Miranda Castro and Eva G. Lizárraga Paulín

That was an interesting read and I appreciate you sharing that Myco...I copied and pasted that into my personal grow diary files and shared with some others.....

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
it suks that this thread died down without a deffinitive course of action to treat/ prevent this. A while back i got some clones frm a buddy that had been dealing with the dudding issue, now after a few rounds it seems like i have this scourge full blown and its threatening to take me down. I cant afford to lose my whole room.

anyways, after a week solid of doing research, ive decided to treat with avid as a spray and drench (supposed to help kill nemotodes)

asprine at 325mg per gal( helps boost plant vitality)

Azaguard Nematicide
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/a...p-10270.html?gclid=CPvi2ZvV7sMCFRJbfgodDx4Alg
trying to kill these lil fuckers
I bought this and should be here in a couple days.

Lastly ive been trying to obtain chitosan from a reputible source with no luck. i started a thread on it. if someone know a good source, im really having a hard time.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/chitosan-anybody-have-a-good-source.71213/

confu

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Shouldn't you make sure you have strm nematodes first?o_O

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Shouldn't you make sure you have strm nematodes first?o_O
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.etc.
I'd rather spend 300$ on treatment stuff ill b sure to use then a scope that might or might not b able to confirm these fuckers.
Confu

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.etc.
I'd rather spend 300$ on treatment stuff ill b sure to use then a scope that might or might not b able to confirm these fuckers.
Confu
For sure bro, bud I had huge dud problems before and it turned out there was salt build up in my coco with a run off of 3.5 ph. I was using old coco without checking how hot it was. This has not been everyone's problem solution but it's worth checking.

F

Freakshow

in my experience and reading over several forums, there's several different reason why plants are dudding:
1) Stem Nematodses
2) Fungal infections (fusarium, etc)
3) Improper care of the mother plants. This was my problem to begin with. I had all my moms in FFOF. I got all kinds of strange symptoms ranging from ph fluctuations, to nute deficiency to nute burn. I'm not saying it's all the fault of the soil, but the ocean forest contributed. They started to look hungry, so I gave them some seabird guano, top dressed, like i have been doing for years. Nothing too major as far as dosages just a bit. After that, the moms started to take a major crap, worse than before. I thought i had over fed with the guano, until i potted up some plants i received for a friend. When i potted them up, i got all kinds of burning and ph twisting. I flushed the plants and they straightened out. That's when i realized the Ocean Forest was not the soil it used to be. The mos that were in the OF soil also would not root clones very easily. I have a helluva time getting anything to root and once rooted, those plants would yellow at the slightest feeding. I also learned that supposedly, Fox Farms moved it's soil plant form California to the Carolina coast. I have since switched to ProMix HP CC and started new genetics. Some of the old moms have grown out of the funk and flower out fine now. The ones that did not were tossed.

I am very careful how i feed my mother plants now. I give them a nice organic tea and some Cal mag and they all seem to be very healthy. I also am very careful about overwatering.
my flower room hasn't looked as good as it does now in years.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
For sure bro, bud I had huge dud problems before and it turned out there was salt build up in my coco with a run off of 3.5 ph. I was using old coco without checking how hot it was. This has not been everyone's problem solution but it's worth checking.
Forsure dude and I understand where ur coming from. Actually my runoff is a bit high because plants are not taking up the food so I cut my EC way back. Runoff ph in coco is not a good way to test actual ph tho, jus an fyi.

Confu

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
it suks that this thread died down without a deffinitive course of action to treat/ prevent this. A while back i got some clones frm a buddy that had been dealing with the dudding issue, now after a few rounds it seems like i have this scourge full blown and its threatening to take me down. I cant afford to lose my whole room.

anyways, after a week solid of doing research, ive decided to treat with avid as a spray and drench (supposed to help kill nemotodes)

asprine at 325mg per gal( helps boost plant vitality)

Azaguard Nematicide
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/a...p-10270.html?gclid=CPvi2ZvV7sMCFRJbfgodDx4Alg
trying to kill these lil fuckers
I bought this and should be here in a couple days.

Lastly ive been trying to obtain chitosan from a reputible source with no luck. i started a thread on it. if someone know a good source, im really having a hard time.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/chitosan-anybody-have-a-good-source.71213/

confu
Oh no! After you've gone all in..???

Is the chitosan you need ok to come from insect frass? If so, get thee some mealworms, who'll make it for free for you.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Oh no! After you've gone all in..???

Is the chitosan you need ok to come from insect frass? If so, get thee some mealworms, who'll make it for free for you.

hey @Seamaiden , you gotta love how life throws curveballs at you. I hit them with some insect frass yesterday but the chitin in the frass takes a while to break bown into chitosan. So im waitn to hear back from bestchitosan.com in china( i think they are closed for the new year, and in the mean time i found:

its used in wine clearing and i can dive to orange county and pick it up. 15$ for 10 grams is pricy but untill i can order a kilo from China, itll do.

confu

Bubbamaniac

Bubbamaniac

Bump! All I know is there is no definitive answer and it would sure be nice for this problem seems to be spreading more and more peop,e are dealing with this time and time again. I wish I knew the answer but unfortunately I do not any new revelations.

johnnyblazed

johnnyblazed

has anyone that have had a dud sorted them out with chitosan or is it another waste of money?

T

toquer

I've got two XXX OG's that dudded out before flower. Went in there at night and the rest of them had drooping leaves except the two duds. Soil temp is colder during the day for those two and warmer at night for those two when compared to the rest. Just my most recent observation.

krameterhof

krameterhof

Planning on continuing to read and research. Ideally it would be nice to create a solid account with a legit lab for a group of anyone curious to have more data on all this. Maybe even get a group discount for many separate samples, all being tested for same pathogens. Gather enough data from many farmers to get some perspective.
We need a protocol to solve these mysteries. Scoping for nematodes upon stem dissection if better to detect while fresh and then dropping off samples to a common lab to be tested. Then chart our collective findings. From there everyone can choose their own line on IPM and then even retest if necessary to monitor .
Dunno I could be overthinking it all. Definitely wouldn't be the first time, however I can't help but wonder what happens when a project like this gets more quantified. Individual details alongside group test results and maybe we can get a better explanation with this type of approach. These pathogens that are responsible for crippling so many of us can be studied. Whose got the in with a Colorado lab who may be willing ??

Qbanbiz

Qbanbiz

you couldn't tell they were duds from the room shots i posted. 70% were classic duds, light green small leaves on tops + lack of ANY frost or smell. snapping branches the whole 9. i shoulda taken more up close photos.

i'm sure it was a combination of things. there was root rot in that room forsure which certainly contributed... i mean 3 trays wilted overnight.

my guess:
the nematodes probably caused the duds, then started wrecking havoc on the root systems + pythium (and maybe other pathogens) infiltrated the plants and caused the rapid wilting and dying off of plants.

@EveryOneSmokes if you get another obvious dud in veg hmu and i'll let ya borrow my microscope.
Hey 215,
Im very interested in your findings regarding duds. I use to come across these duds periodically but now they are taking over entire rooms. I cant seem to pinpoint the cause. We too have sent plant samples out for testing and the only thing they have confirmed is that IT IS NOT TMV or TMVc. I just ordered REGALIA and waiting for arrival. Can you please explain what you see in a dud. What is the plant structure. How early can you ID one. I can usually spot them about 10 days into veg. They have a weird strucure to them Their branches have a tendency to grow horizontally and are sometimes very brittle. Their growth is retarded. Almost as though the DNA has been altered. They are very susceptible to bugs and mites. i grow in COCO and ROCKWOOL as well. Seeing this in both mediums. The worst affected room to date is 10 days into veg. They are coco beds so i don't really have the opportunity to discard the affected plants and replace as I do in ROCKWOOL. Can you please tell me if this is somewhat the same thing you are experiencing since the term DUD is so vague. If so can you guide me through correcting this weird situation. The REGALIA will arrive tomorrow. Thanks for your help,

Top Bottom