Dwc woes - constant failure

• Thread starter hm7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hm7

Even if you need to ask us twice a day whether or not they need water.
lol.... I'm sure no one wants to be holding my hand that much. "What a noob, he can't even tell the most basic of things!"

I'm sure I've managed to annoy most everyone here as it is with my problems/questions.

beluga

beluga

Do you flower your plants that densely packed? Haven't seen hydro systems so densely packed with plants that large.
I did that time. My earlier post in this thread has a shot of the full canopy before chopping.
I don't intentionally run them like that.
lol.... I'm sure no one wants to be holding my hand that much. "What a noob, he can't even tell the most basic of things!"

I'm sure I've managed to annoy most everyone here as it is with my problems/questions.
We hang out here cause we like it. We wouldn't keep posting if we thought it was hopeless.
You've done your research and that's what counts for me... I only consider it annoying hand-holding when someone wants full explanations from zero foundational knowledge.

H

hm7

^^^

And figure out where your fungus infestation is coming from and eliminate it. It's coming from somewhere, could be your hands.

I suspect it's embedded in the system somehow. Probably got into the solution, and now is in the tubes, plumbing, chiller, etc.

It's probably in my glass droppers I use to top feed too - but can't figure out how to properly clean/sanitize them due to the insanely tiny holes/tube.

I've got some time now while the new beans start popping to try to fully clean/sterilize this system. Any tips? I boiled the hydroton lastnight. Should I soak it in some kind of bleach/water mixture too? What about the res/system/chiller/pumps/etc - drain it completely, refill with clean water, and then maybe run some kind of heavy bleach/water mixture through it? Something else?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I suspect it's embedded in the system somehow. Probably got into the solution, and now is in the tubes, plumbing, chiller, etc.

It's probably in my glass droppers I use to top feed too - but can't figure out how to properly clean/sanitize them due to the insanely tiny holes/tube.
I just went thru this process a few weeks ago and I think I posted up most of the pics. I was restarting up a RDWC that had been sitting drained a while, and I failed to drain the chiller or some of the other lines. When I added RO and started pumps by basement smelled like a sewer. I can't imagine what all was growing in there, but it was pretty bad.

Step 1 - clean. With the system topped off with clean water, add H2O2. Run all pumps and air stones. Get into there on your knees with a toilet brush and get every nook and cranny.
Step 2 - flush. As much as needed for your grow style. If you are keeping the H2O2, you just need to get it down low enough for your grow. If running biologics, zero. I use test strips to know.
Step 3 - adjust PH, nutes, add silica or whatever, and then beneficials. If running bennies, give it a week before you
Step 4 - add rooted plants.

As far as level of H2O2, I use a lot. I also use it to clean all surfaces. Floors, walls, pipes, fan blades, etc. As far as where to run your grow, 5-10 PPM seems about right for most people.

I think you can replace the above H2O2 with Chlorine, but I have never done this.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I would say that your best friend for cleaning would be H2O2. I don't think I would use bleach in my system but I could be wrong. I am going to be ordering a couple of gallons of 12% Hydrogen Peroxide to have on hand for just such purposes. I am also brand new to RDWC and I am sure the experts will either confirm or deny what I have said here.

H

hm7

I just went thru this process a few weeks ago and I think I posted up most of the pics. I was restarting up a RDWC that had been sitting drained a while, and I failed to drain the chiller or some of the other lines. When I added RO and started pumps by basement smelled like a sewer. I can't imagine what all was growing in there, but it was pretty bad.

Step 1 - clean. With the system topped off with clean water, add H2O2. Run all pumps and air stones. Get into there on your knees with a toilet brush and get every nook and cranny.
Step 2 - flush. As much as needed for your grow style. If you are keeping the H2O2, you just need to get it down low enough for your grow. If running biologics, zero. I use test strips to know.
Step 3 - adjust PH, nutes, add silica or whatever, and then beneficials. If running bennies, give it a week before you
Step 4 - add rooted plants.

As far as level of H2O2, I use a lot. I also use it to clean all surfaces. Floors, walls, pipes, fan blades, etc. As far as where to run your grow, 5-10 PPM seems about right for most people.

I think you can replace the above H2O2 with Chlorine, but I have never done this.

Thanks for this. I am going to try one more time running a sterile system with my shock once I have the tester and can confirm my total and free chlorine amounts/levels are stable and maintained sufficiently. If this fails again - my next attempt will be going back to trying to run a live system with bennefitials.

Interesting - I wasn't aware there were H2O2 test strips. What levels are you targeting to initially hit and maintain for your grows while using it?

I would say that your best friend for cleaning would be H2O2. I don't think I would use bleach in my system but I could be wrong. I am going to be ordering a couple of gallons of 12% Hydrogen Peroxide to have on hand for just such purposes. I am also brand new to RDWC and I am sure the experts will either confirm or deny what I have said here.
Yeah, I might have to get some more 12% here too and go this route. Bleach is essentually just liquid chlorine, vs pool shock being a solid, more concentrated form (albeit slight chemical differences between sodium / calcium). I don't foresee any issue cleaning my res with it if I'm going to be intentionally adding chlorine back into the system when it's running for HOCL.

H

hm7

I'm pretty sure Moe runs live so his H2O2 levels would be zero and he confirms that with his test strips.

Ahh yeah, you're right. I remember now seeing his - what I think are aquairum sponges - in his res for propagation.

That's another thing I was confused about on my first grow in my solo bucket. I was (probably mistakenly) under the assumption hydroguard/orca/whatever had to only be added once a week, when a res-change was done. I was under the assumption it would grow/live on the roots and levels would be maintained sufficiently going forward, but maybe that's not true.

I don't know if they have to be continuously added every few days, throughout the entire grow or not (if you're not using aquarium sponges, etc).

H

hm7

You can get them at Amazon in this country

As well as this:

Fantastic! Thank you!

I run mine at about 5 ppm. I don't add it daily just every res change.

Wow, interesting. I was under the assumption H2O2 broke down very quickly - basically in a matter of 2-3 days max. How often are you doing res changes, and how much are you adding? This was my concern going H2O2 - how long is 1gal really going to last me?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Wow, interesting. I was under the assumption H2O2 broke down very quickly - basically in a matter of 2-3 days max. How often are you doing res changes?

It breaks down faster or slower depending on the biologic load it has. The only way to know how fast other than a rule of thumb kinda situation is to measure it.

Think of it this way, if peroxide popped off spontaneously based on time or being in water, that 3% solution would not be shelf stable in that bottle.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

This was my concern going H2O2 - how long is 1gal really going to last me?
A year. We are talking about adding like 20mL at a time during a grow. The big use is cleaning. Use chlorine for that if you prefer.

H

hm7

It breaks down faster or slower depending on the biologic load it has. The only way to know how fast other than a rule of thumb kinda situation is to measure it.

Think of it this way, if peroxide popped off spontaneously based on time or being in water, that 3% solution would not be shelf stable in that bottle.

My understanding was once a bottle of H2O2 is actually opened/unsealed, it begins to lose potency?

A year. We are talking about adding like 20mL at a time during a grow. The big use is cleaning. Use chlorine for that if you prefer.

Well... if you truly think 1gal of 12% can get me through at least 1-grow in this 12gal system ..... f chlorine! I was sitting here thinking I'd be going through a gal every 1-2 weeks.

I ordered up a gal of the 12% and those test strips. So, add enough to get to 5ppm? At what level should more be added?

Stupid question, I know, but I'm assuming this can be mixed in after the nutes are added, phed?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My understanding was once a bottle of H2O2 is actually opened/unsealed, it begins to lose potency?

Yes that is true. I feel like I am confusing the point here, but if you pour it on something that it can react with, it "burns up" faster than if you just pour it in a clean glass.

If you have 12 gallons, that is 45L.
1ml/l = 1000 PPM
1000 ppm / 12% = 83PPM up when you add 1ml/L

x/.12 = 5, solve for x = .6ml/L to raise to 5PPM

so 45L (your system) needs 27 mL of H2O2 to raise 5PPM. Less if there is already H2O2 to start with in the system.

There are 3785 mL/Gal, so you have 140 doses. Only 52 weeks to dose. The rest you use for cleaning.

And to your point, as the peroxide ages, you might have to add more per dose as time goes on.

PH after adding peroxide and well stirred, last step in any nute regimen is PH check.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Holding system .

I've got some time now while the new beans start popping to try to fully clean/sterilize this system. Any tips? I boiled the hydroton lastnight. Should I soak it in some kind of bleach/water mixture too? What about the res/system/chiller/pumps/etc - drain it completely, refill with clean water, and then maybe run some kind of heavy bleach/water mixture through it? Something else?
I use shampoo and extremely hot water to clean mine. . not even lying.

The hott water expands all the plastics making most Algea break loose. Simple method is filling bathub with hott water. . pumping it through house into your empty res. . given u have a holding system for the plants. I then have another pump pumping it out the window. Once its full. . i pump it out and repeat. .use a shop vac to suck out the rest.

Im going to say this. . once u figure out how to prevent it. The rest is gravy. My shit can go unattended for a week if needed. Im sloppy. . i dont use any corrosives ever, just put the parts in the tub and scrub them with the lufa, hott water and whatever bottle of shampoo or body wash is close. . rinse good so the smell is gone. Basically. . im sloppy, messy, im lazy, and I enter my grow room about once a week. I get some issues up top from running them outta nutrients. . or adding to much. . but as for root rot. . even as care free as I am. . i still havnt seen it in over a year. I use microbes. . aka hydro guard and only add it at the start. Somehow my colonies stay active the entire grow. . plus i do 0 res changes. . only top offs. . anyways ive learned alot on what not to do. . still dont know how to do it perfect. . but i will soon enough. Good luck bud, your in good hands at the farm

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They add stabilizers and other things. Also the bottles should not be exposed to light. Thats partly why you want the high % stuff

Reactions: hm7
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Peroxide breaks down fast… its used to knock back the populations as often as needed. It wont last more than 24hrs. You can super charge it with UV light. Temps play a big role but typically you use it every 2-3 days. Even chlorine breaks down and off gasses fast, usually within 24 hrs. Chloramine can last weeks.

Reactions: hm7

Latest posts

Top Bottom