Easy growing guide

• Thread starter no1birdman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

no1birdman

This might sound daft to most of you, but after reading most of the information on here still not a clue what most of you are talking about, I am 60 never grown before only tomatoes, is the anyone who can tell me in simple English how to start from scratch either growing indoors or outside, preferably both using seeds. Most of the information and descriptions of technics on here are lost on the average person, so can someone make a simple guide. I am in the UK. Thank You

Y

YesiCannabis

This is something i would love to see here on the farm, i spend hours & hours here most days but theres still alot of things here that i cant make head or tail of.
Maybe someone here has the time & wisdom to put this together?

S

StonedOwl

Buy some books on the subject. That's how I figured out the basics. Once you got that down, then come to a place like the farm to get your genetics and start learning the more advanced stuff.

O

Old Yeller

Birdman - maybe we should start an over 60's newbie thread! I was in the same boat last year when i threw in some bagseed with my tomatoes & peppers. Unless you already have some good genetics, i recommend using whatever mj seeds you can get from friends, bagseed etc. to start with.
1) You'll need a grow area that you can make light tight if you grow indoors - unless you have a closet, basement room, attic, garage etc, a grow tent is the easiest way to start.
2) Ventillation, ventillation, ventillation!!! The next most important thing. You must be able to bring in fresh air & exhaust heat to keep your plants healthy. For me, my basement works great cause it's cool, dry & i can exhaust outside in the summer & inside in the winter (to save heating costs).
3) Lights - Fluorescent's are fine to start with - i used T-12 shop lights with compact fluro bulbs to get mine started, then graduated to an old 400W HPS that was given to me. If you need 1 light to get you from seed to bud then a T-5 fluoro with mixed bulbs is what i recommend.
4) Water - You must know the condition of the water you use. Understanding the pH of water is crucial, so get an inexpensive pH test kit & check it out. Most tap water runs alkaline (pH 7 & above) so you'll need some pH down to correct this to pH 6.5 - 6.0.
5) Medium - Start in dirt - period. Put your seeds in any light seed starting mixture in 18oz. beer cups (with holes in the bottom) to get them going. After they become root-bound i re-pot to 3/4 gal sized containers with a better soil mix (Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Happy Frog, Black Gold etc). The final transplant should be to a 2 or 3 gal sized pot. I use 1 3/4 gal rose buckets & still some of my plants grow to 5'.
6) Fertilizer - Nutes are a huge headache & expense to a lot of people. Keep it simple and start with General Hydroponics 3 part unless you have a good formula already for your tomatoes. Lotsa choices here but don't get too complicated - there's plenty of ferts you can use right off the shelf that will work fine while you dial in your water & dirt.
7) Equipment - Besides the supplies you'll need to make your grow area light proof & the lighting source you have, a good inline fan should be near the top of your list. Many choises here - it depends on the size of your grow area. You should also have some small circulating fans moving the air around your plants full time.

I'm sure i forgot something important here, but you must address these 7 things before you can grow inside. Outside? Don't know the weather in the UK but if it's close to NE USA, it might be too late to put something in the ground this year. The 5 girls i planted in my urban tomato patch this spring are already 3' tall. My rule of thumb for outdoor growing is for every 4 plants only one will survive to harvest due to spider mites, squirrels, possems, ground hogs, rats, heavy wind, poor soil, hail, thieves, bud rot - you see - this is a long list.
I hope this helps a little & keep the questions comming - there's lotsa people here who can help you way better than me...
Pease,
OY

N

no1birdman

Thank you, just bought a tent and seeds, someone suggested to me hydrophonis or something like that and rock wool I think.I am in my prime at 60 lol and a young wife.

O

Old Yeller

OK, well we need to know about the tent (kind, size) & where you're gonna put it. What seeds did you get?
I'd forget doing anything with hydro (or rockwool) unless you have an experienced growing buddy that can help you or your good with DIY science projects. You should plan on giving yourself at least a year (2 or 3 grows) to get your feet wet before moving up the ladder to the more sophisticated kinds of growing.
The more you can tell us about your enviroment & the tools you have, the easier it is to get the right kind of help here.

N

no1birdman

HI, TENT IS 1.2 BY 1.2 BY 2 meters, buying a 600 lamp and 5in fan and carbon filter. It is in a south facing brick outhouse attached to my house. Seeds are Big Bang.

B

Beeronymous

lol. what happened to just soaking the seeds and then throwing them in dirt and watering that shit til they grew?

R

ReelBusy1

Thank you, just bought a tent and seeds, someone suggested to me hydrophonis or something like that and rock wool I think.I am in my prime at 60 lol and a young wife.

forget the seeds...enjoy the wife!
:damnhippie:

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

If I may add my 2 cents. Go with an air cooled 1000w lamp, with a 6 in. Vortex fan. It'll be better for yield. I'd also suggest pro-mix and 3 gallon grow bags or pots before hydro, if your new to the grow scene.
Good luck!

N

no1birdman

Hi, the only thing I know about them, they are female and cost 12 pounds for 5.

O

Old Yeller

I looked up the strain & they seem perfect for you - good thing you didn't get a heavy sativa variety!
Got any pics?

N

no1birdman

Hi, thanks for all advice. Does a carbon filter go inside my grow tent to have air sucked out or on the outside to have air blown through, or does it not matter as long as no smells.Thanks

N

no1birdman

Grown 4 plants now, 2 in hdro 2 in soil, all doing well uptp5 wksflower. Out of the soil plants 1 in john innes mix 1 in netto mix. The one in netto mix much bigger, the 2 in hdro very big. Question put in canna 13/14 as I have being useing canna veg and canna flo on all plants. Do I leave in for just 1 week and then drain out or leave in. I know I can not drain the soil so should I just leave it in the hydro setup for the normal 2 weeks and then change back to canna flower. Thanks

D

DrGreenLean

Wow looks like you've been doing some serious reading birdman! Form reading your posts previous to this latest one it seems you have come along way. Although I don't have any input I can share with you on this I just wanted to say congrats on what seems to be a very good first attempt.

I only wish that my first grow had the love and attention of hydro and all the other nice expensive bits and pieces lol.

My first grow is about to be cut down and harvested. I only did it in soil and used basic Bio-Bizz all-in-one nutes alongside a nice growing space, 250Watt HPS lamp and a couple of standard fans. To be honest though... It's not looking bad at all for the very basic set-up I used. The flowers are looking nice and big, although I doubt I will have a large yield. THC is mounting up too so I can't complain. I'm growing 2x Greenhouse Trainwreck seeds. :)

Once again, congrats... Sounds like you're on to somthing.

N

no1birdman

Hi,thanks I have all the time in the world now retired to read and learn, but would love to be younger LoL. Still do not know about this13/14 stuff though.

Top Bottom