Easy way to rinse coco

• Thread starter Neoangelo147
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've used cold water to try to rehydrate and rinse coir and it was a huge pain in the ass. I'm talking water from a deep, COLD well. Then someone told me, "Woman! Warm that water up!" and it was like magic.

What if you tossed it into a few pillow cases and into a washing machine on hottest setting? That's what I'm going to do with my brick. Chop her up and wash her out!

lemons

lemons

Let me know how it works out. Maybe do a dry run in between the coir and more clothes? I'm worried about staining all my white clothes red lol.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I honestly never thought to use pillow cases, that is a really good idea. I have no old spare ones laying around though.

Would definitely be a good idea to run a rinse cycle before running clothes.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think whether or not you need to run a cycle between rinsing coir and clothes has more to do with your washer type and efficiency than anything else. I don't think it'll stain. I do think there's a small chance, if the case isn't closed completely, that some coir will end up stuck inside the washer tub (think: pet hair), and you won't want that on your clothes but then again, it's not the worst thing in the world.

If you don't have extra or old pillow cases around, how about hitting a thrift shop?

My father has a real gift with the whites, and he REFUSES to tell me his secret! It's not bleach, I know that, and I've been using OxyClean for years. My whites cannot compare to my father's.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Well
I have never rinsed my coco before
But warm water and a pillow case is a game/rinse changer for me
Thanks!!!

Af052290

Af052290

Ok so i been growing in coco for about 8 months now..I recently found out a way to fully flush out your coco..This method works for me every time. I get it flushed out so good my ph comes out the same as what went it..So if your having problems with salty coco try this...
Get a 5 gallon smart pot or any other fabric aeropot will do...fill the 5 gallon with half ways of coco.Put in sink or tub start rinsing coco like you normally would than after coco is fully saturated squeeze smart pot to release excess water in the coco..Rinse with more water and squeeze again............. keep doing this about 4-5 times..once you squeeze out the excess water and no longer see the dirty water coming out you know your coco is ready for use..
Note i also like using hot water to sterile the cooc at the same time, it will also help break down salts in the cooc a lot faster than using cold water..
If using hot water make sure to run some cold water through it before transplanting anything into it to cool down the coco...

Let me know if this helps anyone :banana1sv6:

Hey Neo!
So I have started rinsing my coco (2 5 gallon grow pots)
It was really hard to squeeze so I did it day by day without the coco getting dried out. I can’t transplant yet because I’m still waiting on a few more to sprout.(bad timing) I was wondering if it’s okay to keep using this method (rinsing day by day) until I can transplant. I also added one cup of perlite a half cup of bone meal a 3/4 cup of bat guano and a cup of earth worm castings. I felt like I need more of those ingredients but I didn’t wanna risk it (better to add)
Thanks! Happy growing

Top Bottom