Ebb and Flo bucket size for big yields

• Thread starter PuregenetiKs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PuregenetiKs

Hello all.

Currently I am growing everything mostly in organic soil but recently I picked up an active aqua ebb and flo system. I am basically testing the waters with ebb and flo buckets to see how I like them. I have years of successful RDWC experience prior to my current medium choice so hydro in no way is new to me. So far so good my ladies are as green as ever, if I can pull 4oz off a 2 gallon I will be quite happy.

I was imagining though of possibly changing everything over from soil to ebb and flo, less mess, less work, and a lot more control. I started my current venture in soil since it is so dependable for me and very low risk of having setbacks. Now I am at a turning point and thinking about coming back to hydro. My dream would be to run undercurrents but I am not willing to take a huge risk with storms and power failures and what not, shit happens! With ebb and flo I feel it will be much easier to care for them in case of such an event.

So I seek you opinions, what size ebb and flo container would you go with for an average yield of 10-12oz per plant, and having the ability to go higher of course. I average 10-12 now in soil, 20 gallon smartpots, 6-8 week veg, in a sealed and well controlled environment. Redoing everything will be expensive so I need to make sure whatever I use can match or beat my current runs.

The largest system I have found so far has 6.6 gallon containers.

P

PuregenetiKs

Each plant will fill 8.3 square feet, I run 2.4 plants per light.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Bump... and may I add I ran the CAP Ebb N Grow system, the original which drained like shit and offered 2.5 gallon grow pots. It was a mess! I placed 6" cubes into hydroton. Looking back now I could crush a system like that. The best I did was 1.5 per 1000, but it was the first growing I had done and was taking advice from an idiot.

If you're looking for trees I would buy the largest pot size you can find and just experiment with your veg times and your strain, to determine what works best. I have no doubt you can get a full elbow per plant in a 6.6 gallon pot.

Tank333

Tank333

I read about the capp ebb and grow before buying my system, and it made me decide to go with the Titan Flo-n-gro. It has 4 gallon pots with 3/4" tubing instead of the crappy 1/2" tubing on the ebb-n-flo. Now they have a new one with larger buckets. I think it may be the one you reference in your OP with the 6.6 gallon pots. If you're gonna do things this way istead of a UC style, this is the system to buy. Kinda pricey, but it was worth it. I think I spent a little under a grand for the system with two 6-site expansions (total of 24 sites), and hydroton to fill all the buckets. The best I've gotten from a plant in it is a hair over 5.5 ounces, but I am still a novice. I've had less than half a dozen runs in it so far...

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I read about the capp ebb and grow before buying my system, and it made me decide to go with the Titan Flo-n-gro. It has 4 gallon pots with 3/4" tubing instead of the crappy 1/2" tubing on the ebb-n-flo. Now they have a new one with larger buckets. I think it may be the one you reference in your OP with the 6.6 gallon pots. If you're gonna do things this way istead of a UC style, this is the system to buy. Kinda pricey, but it was worth it. I think I spent a little under a grand for the system with two 6-site expansions (total of 24 sites), and hydroton to fill all the buckets. The best I've gotten from a plant in it is a hair over 5.5 ounces, but I am still a novice. I've had less than half a dozen runs in it so far...

Thanks for sharing Tank... I was getting over 2 oscars in each 2.5 gallon pot but you're right the 1/2" line BLOWS! And each connection point needs a metal clamp. I flooded 1 room 2-3 times with weak water line. All-in-All the system did well and would do much better with a simple salt reg. (no clogging).

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've built all my RDWC systems with 1" bulkhead fittings and hose. Few clamps needed, flow is fine, only need to check for roots clogging once or twice per run in five gallon buckets. I've since reused the same hose and fittings in 27 gallon tubs, this time using a pair for intake and another pair for outlets in each tub. Works great! It's so flexible to reconfigure I'm not even cutting hose for new applications as the old pieces fit fine. Use irrigation fittings in 1" sizes like tees, elbows and connectors, very inexpensive and easy to work with as Lego.

I used net pot bucket lids and they cover four gallon buckets, they fit perfectly over the five gallon buckets they're made for- and I use the top of a five gallon bucket as a spacer ring and to accept the net pot into the 27 gallon tub site.
20130806 003647
20130811 162449

ttystikk

ttystikk

Jack's or J.R. Peters

When I ran these buckets I ran the ENTIRE Gh line, 3-part, floralicious, some teas...it made a mess.

Jacks Professional Hydroponic Nutrient, 5-12-26 and micros. It's designed for use with calcium nitrate, 15% N and 19% Ca. I add some cal-mag, some extra micros, a bit of epsom salts, and an occasional dash of P at certain points... and aerated compost tea with Cap's root and foliar paks and a fistful of earthworm castings. Allow to marinate and change at least every other week or more often. Stand back... your plants will blow up!

Fred Flintstoned

Fred Flintstoned

Tty, How much lighting do you run over that? I've seen you reference this setup in other threads and wondered if you have a thread somewhere on the construction of this?
Thanks, Fred

ttystikk

ttystikk

Tty, How much lighting do you run over that? I've seen you reference this setup in other threads and wondered if you have a thread somewhere on the construction of this?
Thanks, Fred

I run 4kW over four sites in an 8x8 area. Hoods are sealed and vented, room sealed, CO², yadda yadda. Next run dropping vertical bulbs and losing the overhead hoods.

Tank333

Tank333

How do you plan on spacing the bulbs when you switch? Will you continue to use four, or will you add a fifth in the center?

ttystikk

ttystikk

How do you plan on spacing the bulbs when you switch? Will you continue to use four, or will you add a fifth in the center?

It's on a 30A breaker so I should have capacity for a fifth bulb in the center.

Tank333

Tank333

Right on, man! That should be pretty sweet! What kind of yield can you pull from this setup?

P

PuregenetiKs

Thanks for the replies. I think the 27 gallon containers might be a little to big lol. I am running 24 plants under 10 K, just need to hit 10-12 per. The biggest packaged system I can find is the Titan Flo and gro giant, with 6.6 gallon plant sites. I also like the cap ebb monster systems, 5g per site. I think next round I will just try one of the systems with three pots and see if they can pull it off. I have 6 2 gallon plants going now under 1k and if I can hit the 4 per mark with those I will be pretty confident with the 6 gallon.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Thanks for the replies. I think the 27 gallon containers might be a little to big lol. I am running 24 plants under 10 K, just need to hit 10-12 per. The biggest packaged system I can find is the Titan Flo and gro giant, with 6.6 gallon plant sites. I also like the cap ebb monster systems, 5g per site. I think next round I will just try one of the systems with three pots and see if they can pull it off. I have 6 2 gallon plants going now under 1k and if I can hit the 4 per mark with those I will be pretty confident with the 6 gallon.

Keep us posted!
The 5 gallon came out just after I scraped the 2.5gal system, so I never considered it, but now...

ttystikk

ttystikk

I went up in tub size while also going down in stem count- so I need bigger plants in order to make it work.

Tank333

Tank333

Don't do it man. Stay away from the Capp. They didn't upgrade the lines for the buckets, so they're still gonna get clogged up with roots really easily. Besides the small lines though, I have been told they use sub-par electronics for their controllers. Can't vouch for that personally though...

I would go with the Titan monster setup. It looks like a great upgrade from the smaller sites I have...

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Don't do it man. Stay away from the Capp. They didn't upgrade the lines for the buckets, so they're still gonna get clogged up with roots really easily. Besides the small lines though, I have been told they use sub-par electronics for their controllers. Can't vouch for that personally though...

I would go with the Titan monster setup. It looks like a great upgrade from the smaller sites I have...

If that's the case then F*&k CAP. I want to see someone rock the Titan setup, going to go find it online now..

Top Bottom