EC in coco coir please HELP

• Thread starter ezekapo23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

ezekapo23

Hi everyone.
I just started growing in coco coir, I have experience growing in soil, but not in coco. I'm currently revegging 9 cuttings and i have a few dilemas, I was giving em 1.7-1.6 EC and 5.8-6 ph.
The plant arent that vigorous and are yellowing the lower leaves, and some are burning the new ones, the cuttings are small and not that advanced in the flowering stage.
I asked a close friend that has tons of exp. in the topic and he suggested me that i should give them just water or water with very little nutes until they turn to veg. stage completelty. I followed his advice and started watering them with a 0.5 0.6 EC for a few days.
But then all the older leaves started whitening and falling off, and then, I upped the EC to the current 1.4, showing that the in-betweens weren't giving the plant the foodit needed (i upped the ec 100points at a time)

Now I don't know how much nutes shoul I give them, the temp is alright, the humidity also +%60, and I'm watering once a day. Is 1400 mS too much? they have a fully developed root system and the ventilation is correct. (the powder on top is diatomeas earth)

What should I do? any advive would be very much appreciated.

Ec in coco coir please help
Ec in coco coir please help 2
Ec in coco coir please help 3
Ec in coco coir please help 4
Ec in coco coir please help 5
Ec in coco coir please help 6
Ec in coco coir please help 7
Ec in coco coir please help 8
Ec in coco coir please help 9
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

"...I'm watering once a day..."

and there's your problem. Coco is a different animal. You're not watering them as you are fertigating and needs to be done 3-5 x's a day with runoff about 10-20%

Go back to the lower amount of nutes but water (fertigate) it every 3-4 hours every day. Once growth is back you can slowly up the nutes but keep 3 x's a day minimum.

E

ezekapo23

and there's your problem. Coco is a different animal. You're not watering them as you are fertigating and needs to be done 3-5 x's a day with runoff about 10-20%

Go back to the lower amount of nutes but water (fertigate) it every 3-4 hours every day. Once growth is back you can slowly up the nutes but keep 3 x's a day minimum.
first of all, thank you very much for taking your time in answering me. what EC should i have? in this stage.

E

ezekapo23

i should also note that i never let the coco get dry, the plants aren't drinking that much

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

wow im using about 2/3 coco, 1/4 perlite & rest reg ferterlizer, those plants look fucked up, i only water every 3 to 5 days in 3gal fabric pots, did u rinse your coco & then treat it with calmag to eliminate any salts from said coco, in my opinion your watering way too much, & over nuting them, i would flush the shit out of them, then lettem dry out for a few days then add nutes at half strenth, with water every 3 days & make sure to have run off to test it for ph & the other shit, these are mine & i water when the leaves start to droop a little, been working great...

Thumbnail   2024 04 29T170653613
E

ezekapo23

how i differentiate a deficency from a overfeeding problem? the leaves whitening, getting yellow, and the newer sprouts getting yellow confuses me
wow im using about 2/3 coco, 1/4 perlite & rest reg ferterlizer, those plants look fucked up, i only water every 3 to 5 days in 3gal fabric pots, did u rinse your coco & then treat it with calmag to eliminate any salts from said coco, in my opinion your watering way too much, & over nuting them, i would flush the shit out of them, then lettem dry out for a few days then add nutes at half strenth, with water every 3 days & make sure to have run off to test it for ph & the other shit, these are mine & i water when the leaves start to droop a little, been working great...

E

ezekapo23

also do you notice that you say the complete opposite of what the other guy said? it has to be so confusing?

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

i should also note that i never let the coco get dry, the plants aren't drinking that much
It's not about letting it get dry it needs the new to flush out the old and you never want to allow it to sit in run off. 3+ x's a day.

1 gallon fiber pots
20200709 190119

Coconut coir 3+ x's a day fertigation. If someone is telling you different I don't think they have experience with coco grows.

E

ezekapo23

It's not about letting it get dry it needs the new to flush out the old and you never want to allow it to sit in run off. 3+ x's a day.

1 gallon fiber pots
View attachment 2167450
Coconut coir 3+ x's a day fertigation. If someone is telling you different I don't think they have experience with coco grows.
i just flushed. can you recommend me a EC range? everyone is saying something different, anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5. I'm very confused

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

also do you notice that you say the complete opposite of what the other guy said? it has to be so confusing?
im no expert, they look over fed over watered to me but thats just my opinion, there are many more way better growers here then me, im just an old senile guy who used to grow about 45yrs ago & just started again....

Stokes

Stokes

1 gallon fiber pots
View attachment 2167450

LoL thats just fucking vulgar

Well done

Once a day is fine when hand watering. But yea if you have time or equipment multiple fertigations can really push the plants

Last edited:
B

benjones

they don't need to be watered more than once a day at that size .

every 2-3 days would be good enough. pick the pots up after watering and then water again once the top starts to look like it is drying ( not totally bone dry ) and the weight of the pot is about two thirds of the original soaked weight .

1.0 EC would be ok

if you can buy new rooted clones then throw these away and start again . the time spent to recover these will take far longer than starting again with new healthy cuttings

you didn't mention the light you use , distance from canopy and what power setting it is on

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Stephengosling

Stephengosling

Ok let me chime in. So I see one person tells you water 5 times a day the other guy says water once every 5 days šŸ˜‚ so let me tell you from experience. They are both right. However for you I would definitely not recommend 3-5 times a day. That only makes sense if you have some sort of auto watering system in place like drip irrigation. Nobody got time to hand water 5 times a day. Plus clearly you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing at this point. The beauty of coco is you can treat it as soil or you can treat it as hydro. Trust me Iā€™ve done it both ways. treat it like soil for now and if you become interested in the frequent watering like as suggested then go visit coco for cannabis website he teaches you all about it, but as I said thatā€™s not the only way. And you can get great results without doing it. Now first let me ask you what nutrients are you using? Please be specific with brand and feed amount? Also are you sure your PH meter is calibrated correctly? If not then go ahead and recalibrate it again to be sure this isnā€™t just a PH issue.then check the PH and EC of your run off water. Give me those numbers as well. Just off first glance it looks like you are 100% coco and although you can water coco a lot it is best to give roots time to grow through the pot before you just saturate. It is possible to overwater in straight coco. Especially for little plants like you have. When they are bigger you donā€™t have to worry about that. But this is also why many people add perlite in with coco usually like a 70/30 mix. But yes check that ph meter and get back to me. Iā€™m gonna help you bring those babies back.

jetbtkng

jetbtkng

Ok let me chime in. So I see one person tells you water 5 times a day the other guy says water once every 5 days šŸ˜‚ so let me tell you from experience. They are both right. However for you I would definitely not recommend 3-5 times a day. That only makes sense if you have some sort of auto watering system in place like drip irrigation. Nobody got time to hand water 5 times a day. Plus clearly you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing at this point. The beauty of coco is you can treat it as soil or you can treat it as hydro. Trust me Iā€™ve done it both ways. treat it like soil for now and if you become interested in the frequent watering like as suggested then go visit coco for cannabis website he teaches you all about it, but as I said thatā€™s not the only way. And you can get great results without doing it. Now first let me ask you what nutrients are you using? Please be specific with brand and feed amount? Also are you sure your PH meter is calibrated correctly? If not then go ahead and recalibrate it again to be sure this isnā€™t just a PH issue.then check the PH and EC of your run off water. Give me those numbers as well. Just off first glance it looks like you are 100% coco and although you can water coco a lot it is best to give roots time to grow through the pot before you just saturate. It is possible to overwater in straight coco. Especially for little plants like you have. When they are bigger you donā€™t have to worry about that. But this is also why many people add perlite in with coco usually like a 70/30 mix. But yes check that ph meter and get back to me. Iā€™m gonna help you bring those babies back.
if your talking about my reply, i said every 3 to 5 days & im using fabric 3 gal planters, & when its hot its about every 3 days, when its cool about 5 days, also gave info about first time use of coco & treating it, i like growing in coco, its my 1st time & its been working great for me, just my 2 cents....

Stephengosling

Stephengosling

if your talking about my reply, i said every 3 to 5 days & im using fabric 3 gal planters, & when its hot its about every 3 days, when its cool about 5 days, also gave info about first time use of coco & treating it, i like growing in coco, its my 1st time & its been working great for me, just my 2 cents....
Yea for sure nothing wrong itā€™s doing it this way. But me personally I start out on solo cups and by the time k transplant up to 3 gallon fabric my plant is already big enough for leaves to reach edges of the pot. when doing it like this you donā€™t have to worry about over watering. And when you first put the plants in you might wait longer than 3 days as usually I give a full water and I give the plant time to dry out enough to make the roots stretch but not bone dry. Never let coco get bone dry. As o said Iā€™ve done it both ways. And I was merely saying the way you speak of is easier in his situation since he already started and doesnā€™t know anything about frequent irrigation. I will say this if you do frequent irrigation the growth is more like fast hydro growth and when you treat it soil itā€™s more like soil growth in terms of speed. But both ways work just fine. And youā€™re right on as far as treating then coco. There are exceptions. Depends what brand coco he used or if he just bought a brick and rehydrated it. If he bought a brand like Mother Earth that also pre buffered then you can get away with out doing it but still wanna give a little extra cal mag when feeding to make sure. But if he just bought a brick then this could all be because he didnā€™t wash the coco and buffer it. As that would explain this too. Kinda hard to know for sure without full details this is why I asked him which nutrients and feed he is giving.

_B_

_B_

Yea for sure nothing wrong itā€™s doing it this way. But me personally I start out on solo cups and by the time k transplant up to 3 gallon fabric my plant is already big enough for leaves to reach edges of the pot. when doing it like this you donā€™t have to worry about over watering. And when you first put the plants in you might wait longer than 3 days as usually I give a full water and I give the plant time to dry out enough to make the roots stretch but not bone dry. Never let coco get bone dry. As o said Iā€™ve done it both ways. And I was merely saying the way you speak of is easier in his situation since he already started and doesnā€™t know anything about frequent irrigation. I will say this if you do frequent irrigation the growth is more like fast hydro growth and when you treat it soil itā€™s more like soil growth in terms of speed. But both ways work just fine. And youā€™re right on as far as treating then coco. There are exceptions. Depends what brand coco he used or if he just bought a brick and rehydrated it. If he bought a brand like Mother Earth that also pre buffered then you can get away with out doing it but still wanna give a little extra cal mag when feeding to make sure. But if he just bought a brick then this could all be because he didnā€™t wash the coco and buffer it. As that would explain this too. Kinda hard to know for sure without full details this is why I asked him which nutrients and feed he is giving.
Last go round I did the dry cycles. This time im going the high frequency route. Iā€™m watering twice a day in 1qt nursery pots with the plants being 8ā€ tall and the roots are shooting out the sides already. Hopefully youā€™re right about the fast hydro growth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom