Electrical Issues. $$ Savings?

• Thread starter StrikeitRich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

StrikeitRich

Just curious what everyone is up to to save some money on the electrical side of indoor growing.

Now i use a 1000 watt magnetic balast and was wondering if at all possible someone could give me some insight into how it is that anyone can afford to run these things. The electric compony here is charging me 3X anything over 600 Kwh. Is that unheard of? could i pay a fee to the electric compony to up that to a little higher so i stop getting hit with these 300$ electric bill increases for using over the allowed 600 Kwh?

I guess im just looking for some insight into what i could do to run 2 lights without getting hit with this damn limit on the Kwh thing? Could i just set up a second electric panal and breaker for my room and then get a seperat bill for that room? therefor allowing the house to run on a bill and the business side of things run on a seperate 600kwh limit?

I just am seriously doubting my ability to keep up with the electric bill! I dont want to start charging my patients, but shit, whatelse is there to do?

Peace,
S i R

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

U got 2 pay 2 play.. That's juss the price of growing top notch meds indoors.. It's a must the ur patients donate 2 the cause.. If they want Fire that is

S

StrikeitRich

Yeah, I know i know i know... Blahh, I just wish this was free. lol.

Ha, I just have a problem asking for money i guess, I should grow a pair!

I see now why it really is 100 a quarter ounce. (For the DANK)

I need to look into a greenhouse or a generator, but till then I'll continue to pay it to play it. I guess. I am definatly not loosing out by anymeans, but i just was a little worried now that i have had a 4 months of 300-400$ electric bills, and since this is my first grow, completly on my own, it's hard to get a donation without any medication.. lol.

But now that is changing since my first harvest is done and my meds are curin up.

Money is the root of all evil. It causes so much anxiety and problems. But it is all worth it in the end when a patient who is truely in need of this medication finds some releif from whatever symptoms they are suffering from through my medication. So yeah, Ill continue to pay the man for now.

Ty

Peace,
S i R

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Tell me about it.. These big ass electric bills r killin' me 2 it sucks.. My ship is about 2 sink cuz of the mega high bills plus nutes & everything els that goes in2 growing.. I fuckin HATE this part.. Sometimes I think it's not even worth it.. I'm super broke & hungry but I got 2 spend 100's on shit 4 my plants 2 keep them happy & well feed.. But it's takin a toll on me I don't got shit but happy plants.. My stomach is rumbling cuz I'm hungry.. But the plants r happy.. Sometimes I don't even care & I want 2 close shop & hide under a rock.. Cuz with all the money I'm spending on these plants I could eat super good & have a gang of good shit.. I could of went 2 the clubs & bought my dank.. Well I'll stop my Bitching on ur thread I'm juss sad & super mad cuz I'm super broke.. Oh well this is life I guess.. All I no is this Dog can't ever catch a break I'm always Fucked some way or another.. It's got 2 get better some day I hope sorry bout the long post on ur thread..

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Tell me about it.. These big ass electric bills r killin' me 2 it sucks.. My ship is about 2 sink cuz of the mega high bills plus nutes & everything els that goes in2 growing.. I fuckin HATE this part.. Sometimes I think it's not even worth it.. I'm super broke & hungry but I got 2 spend 100's on shit 4 my plants 2 keep them happy & well feed.. But it's takin a toll on me I don't got shit but happy plants.. My stomach is rumbling cuz I'm hungry.. But the plants r happy.. Sometimes I don't even care & I want 2 close shop & hide under a rock.. Cuz with all the money I'm spending on these plants I could eat super good & have a gang of good shit.. I could of went 2 the clubs & bought my dank.. Well I'll stop my Bitching on ur thread I'm juss sad & super mad cuz I'm super broke.. Oh well this is life I guess.. All I no is this Dog can't ever catch a break I'm always Fucked some way or another.. It's got 2 get better some day I hope sorry bout the long post on ur thread..

Hang in there man.. the righteous path is always a rough one. Thats some great dedication ..kuddos my man.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Thanks man.. This path is super rough & it always seems 2 get even worse.. I no I'm not the only 1 having it rough.. I see all these people wanting 2 grow but they don't no how it goes.. It's hard work & it costs ur arm & leg.. This shit ain't no joke..

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Thanks man.. This path is super rough & it always seems 2 get even worse.. I no I'm not the only 1 having it rough.. I see all these people wanting 2 grow but they don't no how it goes.. It's hard work & it costs ur arm & leg.. This shit ain't no joke..

your right on that one for sure. its very costly and time consuming.
i cant even imagine doing it for a living. I dont think i could keep up.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I'm only small time I juss run one 1000 watt light plus AC & I'm broke.. I couldn't think how the big time growers do it.. Big props 2 all the big time growers on the Farm.. I couldn't do it.. I can barly keep my head above water with my 1 light..

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I'm only small time I juss run one 1000 watt light plus AC & I'm broke.. I couldn't think how the big time growers do it.. Big props 2 all the big time growers on the Farm.. I couldn't do it.. I can barly keep my head above water with my 1 light..

same boat but with a 400 and AC man.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Expensive Hobby

By the time you get done paying for everything you sure could have gone to the disp. and bought your herb. But that would be someones disposable weed and who wants that. Growing your own weed has many good points from choosing the strain or plants you want to feeding it what you/it wants. And it is much more satisfying smoking your own home grown in your own home. Sorry about your food situation, hope things improve

mal

S

StrikeitRich

Now worries on thread hyjacking bro, This is an open thread, Open convo welcome. Hopein things get better, its the hard times that define us as a person, and how well we handle and deal with all these hardships and trials put in our paths.

Luckily I got the food stamps still! Cause i hear u about this. I either am paying the electric or the rent this month... LOL! J\k, but seriously some months it feels that way.

Luckily i still got my 9 to 5er to suppliment this hobby of mine, but hopefully this hobby will pay for itself, I just gotta plan out the this next grow to be supplimented with the donations from the first. Or atleast i think that is how it works.

And another thing is a "Donation considered 100% Legal, I mean i know its legal to grow and to posses, but to get money for it is that still illegal?

Just worried about money, like i said its where u can get in trouble if not handled correctly.

Peace,
S i R

S

swisscheese

Being a caregiver doesn't mean you should be broke you're definitely expected to recoup the cost of growing people's meds and the time you put into taking care of the plants.

C

CereaLED

Now worries on thread hyjacking bro, This is an open thread, Open convo welcome. Hopein things get better, its the hard times that define us as a person, and how well we handle and deal with all these hardships and trials put in our paths.

Luckily I got the food stamps still! Cause i hear u about this. I either am paying the electric or the rent this month... LOL! J\k, but seriously some months it feels that way.

Luckily i still got my 9 to 5er to suppliment this hobby of mine, but hopefully this hobby will pay for itself, I just gotta plan out the this next grow to be supplimented with the donations from the first. Or atleast i think that is how it works.

And another thing is a "Donation considered 100% Legal, I mean i know its legal to grow and to posses, but to get money for it is that still illegal?

Just worried about money, like i said its where u can get in trouble if not handled correctly.

Peace,
S i R

Im in MI too, who is your elctricity provider- that sounds ridiculous what you pay. You must be in a rural part of the state?

I pay .085 per Kw up to like 500Kw a month then its .115 a Kw and i thought that was high

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Look... this may just be a middle-aged woman speaking here, but I'm going to speak honestly with you, as if you were my own son. I have two and they can both break my heart because they, like you, DON'T have their priorities straight.

PLEASE, please tell me you're not doing this to make a living. Please. This is like trying to make a living slinging aquarium fish. I speak from experience here. You can not make a living selling aquarium fish. Unless you can move pounds of weed at a decent price per month, you're not going to be able to meet basic needs, let alone make what could be considered 'a living.'

You can grow dank plants and not be hungry. You can at least save money on nutrients, at the very least. I have a strong opinion about indoor growing and its impact on the environment, but I'll keep that to myself. But the other side of that opinion has to do with the bills, and those bills are why my husband and I have chosen to go solar. But see, he's got a full time job that pays well, we can afford it. We can afford to develop our property so we can grow our own food, to feed ourselves.

If you were my son I would ask you to scale it back, find other ways to feed the plants (it can be done, I swear!) that won't mean that YOU go hungry. I feel you have your priorities switched around here. The plant grows for us, not the other way around.

Save your mother, family and friends some grief and heartache worrying about you, ok? Use lower wattage lights, supplement those with CFLs or fluoros. Reduce that energy bill. Using lower wattage lighting also means that energy won't be spent on reducing the heat energy that's a significant portion of the energy lighting is consuming. Environmental control is a bitch, isn't it?

Just, please, feed yourself first. This makes my heart so sad to think people are going hungry just to grow pot. That's too convoluted, it's wrong.

*********************** Edit *************************************
To answer the original question, I've shut down my indoor for now. I cannot morally reconcile the issues inherent, not as long as I'm fully on-grid and reliant upon what I currently view as a truly evil company (that being PG&Evil), nor could we afford to pay for an extremely energy-consumptive endeavor. When we've got sun shining, for free, every day, during summer at least?

I had these same issues with keeping miniature coral reefs, and I no longer do so. Almost *all* animals are collected from the wild, with little compensation for the fisherpeople, and those orgs experience exceedingly poor handling conditions, and therefore concurrent death rates, for the organisms in question. Freshwater fishes that are easily bred, especially within the states, are another thing entirely. But, I digress.

Because we could, because we qualified, my husband and I decided to go entirely solar for energy, but are remaining on-grid (logistical and cost factors). We could not come up with the cash to do this on our own, we qualified for a government program that was an offshoot of the federal stimulus program. Once it's up and running I plan on re-examining growing indoors. However, it won't be dedicated to cannabis, we'll be overwintering food plants as well.

Indoor cannabis growing has got to be one of the most wasteful endeavors I have ever witnessed. We cannot just blow this off, not if we are to be conscientious human beings. We are obliged to address this problem head on, take responsibility, and correct it.

hiboy

hiboy

It sure is nice being an electrician................................

B

basement botany

I to am around 400 a month but that is whole household with 5 people. Only about 150 to 200 of that represents growing expense. There are ways to save electricty. Turn the AC up a few degree's, Most big new flat screens use alot of juice better yet don't watch it at all or watch the smaller tv in your room. Turn the backlight down to 50%, if you have an electric water heater adjust it down a bit. Game systems also use alot of juice ps3 and xbox a few hundred watts to operate. If you aren't using something unplug it all together vampires add up. Hell in the winter my lights help heat the home. Take the summer off since it cost the most to run in the summer. Maybe go organic I believe it's cheaper and has no negative enviromental impacts. Hydro nutes are crazy expensive. Just my opinion as per usual good luck.

T

TheIronLung317

The way I see it is that I get all my money back at the end of each run. For me its not really a loss. I have 4,400 watts of of just lights running and that shit almost hits a G when everything is running a the same time. At the end of the day i get it all back and profit so its kinda like me putting my money into a saving account and withdrawing it later. The only thing is that you have to be on top of things to make sure you get your investment back.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Thanks 4 posting Sea M.. No I'm not trying 2 make a living from this grow I'm juss trying 2 grow some meds 4 me & 2 other people & all 3 of us r broke rite now.. I juss got over my head on this Round.. Do 2 a security issue I had 2 relocate my grow.. & dialing in the new spot is killing me.. I thougt it was a good time 2 up grade 2 a 1000 watt digital cuz I had some extra cash at the time.. I also needed 2 buy another tent cuz now I'm squished inside 1 room now I used 2 grow in 2 rooms.. Plus I needed a AC 2 cool the new room.. My dumb ass took a road trip 2 score some Beans.. I ripped threw my cash instantly.. & it's school time & my kids that don't live with me need school cloths.. I got a 18yr old girl that still wants school cloths she goes 2 collage so I don't argue with her..There went all my cash.. Plus now I pay my rent & light bill plus the light bill at the new spot. I juss got way over my head this round I don't no what I was thinking i usually grow outdoors this time of year but this time it wasn't an option.. I juss super Fucked myself this round & I'm now paying the price.. I was doing great 1 day & how super fast that could end.. Everything hit me all at the same time...it was juss bad money handling on my part.. I should of never upgraded my grow the extra cash should of been saved 4 times like this.. I should of known.. It's juss I love 2 grow my plants they bring happiness 2 me but at a high cost.. As 4 nutes I really want 2 try SNS17 but I'm so deep in the hole I can't risk trying sumthin new rite now.. Cuz if it don't work then I'm super,super,mega fucked this would all b4 nuthin'.. Oh well u live & u learn that's life I guess.. It's juss 4 me it seems nuthin can go rite.. I'll get threw this with my head held high all I can do is keep pushing forward.. Nobody said life was gunna b eazy.. I'm sure some people got it way worse then me.. So I'll stop my complaining... I'm hopeing my new harvest is twice as big so r meds can last us till next grow.. With my 600 watt we would smoke all the buds b4 the next harvest...I'm gunna stop stressing over this now cuz that's the worst part.. It's gunna b Beans & rice this month.. This ain't the 1st time I've been broke.. I'm a pro at being broke so I no how 2 get threw this.. I juss thought I was the king of the mountain yesterday till I came tumbleing down 2day.. FUCK IT!! I'm still smileing I wont let this ruain me only the strong survive..:banana1sv6:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The sun is free!I beleive our government purposely drives growers indoors as 97% of people cannot afford all the equipment and energy costs associated with growing cannabis.Its just another way the man holds us back and fucks us hard with no lube and its NOT an environmentally sound way to grow either.The power company fuckin robs us and the nutrient and equipment manufacturers cornhole us good too,they probably all have lobbyists working to keep it this way too but listen up you fuckin thieves because your day is coming and when its legalized(i hope)you will all be fucked so make your blood money now because we will all grow in the sun someday.30+ years ago i threw away those pesky seeds from thai sticks,acapulco gold and the rest as trash,now those seeds are sold in 10 packs for 150 bucks,crazy shit...

B

basement botany

Thanks 4 posting Sea M.. No I'm not trying 2 make a living from this grow I'm juss trying 2 grow some meds 4 me & 2 other people & all 3 of us r broke rite now.. I juss got over my head on this Round.. Do 2 a security issue I had 2 relocate my grow.. & dialing in the new spot is killing me.. I thougt it was a good time 2 up grade 2 a 1000 watt digital cuz I had some extra cash at the time.. I also needed 2 buy another tent cuz now I'm squished inside 1 room now I used 2 grow in 2 rooms.. Plus I needed a AC 2 cool the new room.. My dumb ass took a road trip 2 score some Beans.. I ripped threw my cash instantly.. & it's school time & my kids that don't live with me need school cloths.. I got a 18yr old girl that still wants school cloths she goes 2 collage so I don't argue with her..There went all my cash.. Plus now I pay my rent & light bill plus the light bill at the new spot. I juss got way over my head this round I don't no what I was thinking i usually grow outdoors this time of year but this time it wasn't an option.. I juss super Fucked myself this round & I'm now paying the price.. I was doing great 1 day & how super fast that could end.. Everything hit me all at the same time...it was juss bad money handling on my part.. I should of never upgraded my grow the extra cash should of been saved 4 times like this.. I should of known.. It's juss I love 2 grow my plants they bring happiness 2 me but at a high cost.. As 4 nutes I really want 2 try SNS17 but I'm so deep in the hole I can't risk trying sumthin new rite now.. Cuz if it don't work then I'm super,super,mega fucked this would all b4 nuthin'.. Oh well u live & u learn that's life I guess.. It's juss 4 me it seems nuthin can go rite.. I'll get threw this with my head held high all I can do is keep pushing forward.. Nobody said life was gunna b eazy.. I'm sure some people got it way worse then me.. So I'll stop my complaining... I'm hopeing my new harvest is twice as big so r meds can last us till next grow.. With my 600 watt we would smoke all the buds b4 the next harvest...I'm gunna stop stressing over this now cuz that's the worst part.. It's gunna b Beans & rice this month.. This ain't the 1st time I've been broke.. I'm a pro at being broke so I no how 2 get threw this.. I juss thought I was the king of the mountain yesterday till I came tumbleing down 2day.. FUCK IT!! I'm still smileing I wont let this ruain me only the strong survive..:banana1sv6:

You will recover I have faith in you i have read alot of your posts and you know what you are doing. I have kids to younger ones and they all need stuff so I feel your pain. The digital was a good score that will probably save you a few bucks a month right there. Plus you will probably have a killer yield. Keep your head up. My mother used to tell me something as a kid all the time and I think that woman had some insight. She used to say no matter how bad it seems it will all work out in the end. So far to this day that has rang true. Bad things have happened and we are still here today getting along just fine. Roll with the punches my friend.

Top Bottom