Enzymes

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

I have been thinking about trying some enzymes used to clean up sewage. I ran across some info at another site that might useful. Another grower had been using enzymes used in ponds. He uses Care Free Pond Protector. I used it at the end of my last crop. I had a sludge build up in my pvc pipes and a little slime in my tanks and airlines. I used the product for 2 days while cleaning my harvest. My pipes were clean inside and the slime was gone. The outside of the pipes which were in the nute solution had a build up on them. I just had to hose off the buildup, nothing stuck. I did not have a chance to use it during the run, so I truly have no idea how it will clean up the root zone. This I doubt this will cause any problems as this was one of the things this product has been reported it does really well in ponds. I believe 1 pt will treat 16,000 gal. The price for the pt will blow you away. Suerte JK

J

jdubz206

right on bro...i have been looking for this type of cheaper enzymes..i had read a thread on using septic \ pond cleaning enzymes in your grow but never knew a brand name and was too nervous to try something without it being reviewed first...thanks for this bro, this will save lots of people money who are used to spending 2-3x as much on hygrozyme and other rootzone cleaners...let us know how it goes, i'm going to order a bottle

O

Oaksterman

I was experimenting once cleaning out my hydro system. Had 8 3' x 3' trays, one res and a lot of feed and drain lines. Used a bottle of Hygrozyme I had laying around with a minimal amount of water in the res and the stuff worked great. I know it was expensive but wasn't gonna use it anyway.

Enzymes are enzymes...I also looked at the pond/septic type stuff. While Hygrozyme is a bit different than the straight enzyme products like you're talking about see no reason why they can't be used in the application you're talking about.

EDIT - went back to check on the septic type enzyme stuff cause it's been awhile and initial hit was they are actually concentrated bacterial products and not enzymes per se.

J

jdubz206

thanks for pointing that out oaksterman...i honestly had no idea what the difference between enzymes and bacteria was...i found this article that does an awesome job of explaining the differences without getting too scientific..if anyone's interested, check it out...pretty good read -

J

Jalisco Kid

I bought a qt for 32 bucks, the bottle says it will treat 67,000 gal. I use it at the rate of 10 ml/gal. My water and tanks cleaned up just fine. My roots were always nice and white so I can not see much difference there. JK

T

The Pollinator

BUMP.... what's the word on using septic tank stuff...I know more of you are doing this.

O

Original Grower

ive heard most grow zymes are just septic tank cleaner, og

dextr0

dextr0

i think what JK is saying is that hes using these enzymes to clean, not for the plant exactly.

This is a quote from the page jdub posted up:
Enzymes from different sources have a specific temperature and pH range at which they are optimally effective, which is an important consideration when choosing an enzyme product. Enzymes are classified by the substrate they work on. For example, proteases work on proteins, breaking them down into amino acids and peptides. Cellulases break down cellulose, the major undigestible component of plant cell walls, into simpler sugars.

Wouldnt this mean that not all enzymes do the same thing...so essentially all enzymes are not created equal. Right??

M

m3mikec

I bought a qt for 32 bucks, the bottle says it will treat 67,000 gal. I use it at the rate of 10 ml/gal. My water and tanks cleaned up just fine. My roots were always nice and white so I can not see much difference there. JK
JK, do you use an enzyme product during your grow(my roots were always nice and white)?
After using and enzyme product for the first time during my present grow I find my rez solution to be very clean.
I think I understand your question of weather or not that 32 buck bottle(67,000 gallons?) can be used during the grow, is that correct?
Interesting, good thread.:rollj:

M

mrdizzle

i just bought some pondmaster waste remover, its just like carefree pond cleaner, safe for plants I will let you know how it works

S

smokestack23

True...all enzymes are not created equal. Different zymes perform different tasks. PERSONALLY, I don't mix hydro and organic. Typically, enzymes help break down organic matter and make it more "useable"..or "digestible" for your plants.

Since I run dead..or..sterile reses, there is nothing that needs breaking down for the plants to use. Everything is already available.

I guess that most people use hygrozyme to break down dead root matter and make it available as food for the plants...but again...I'm not a fan of anything living in my dead reses.

All that being said...a lot of people (even in hydro) use enzymes with great results. You really should post this product info in the thread in General indoor growing that lists products that cost way less than those with the "Cutesy Labels".

We're saving big bucks in that thread and this product should be listed there too.

Thanks for the heads-up man.

dextr0

dextr0

Enzmyes_in_Industry_Produciton_and_applications

Soil Enzymology
By Girish Shukla
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wv...tivities in the Rhizosphere of Plants&f=false
"Soil enzymes are involved in the catalysis of a large number of reactions necessary for life processes of microorganisms in soil, decomposition of organic residues, cycling of nutrients, and formation of organic matter and soil structure. These enzmes include amylase, arylsulphatases, β-Glucosidase, cellulase, chitinase, dehydrogenase, phosphatase, protease, urease, and others, derived from plant, animal or microbial origans. These enzymes can be accumulated, stabalized, and or decomposed in the soil."

S

smokestack23

Sorry JK..I just now noticed who the OP was. I for some reason thought it was a relative newb.

You are WELL aware of everything I added in my post. Didn't mean to sound condescending to you. No offense was intended.

dextr0

dextr0

That second link looks like what is needed but that link kinda sux, if I find another Ill post.

thanx confu.

Heres what I would try to mimic:

You see, if you were growing outdoors in the healthiest, most fertile soil, your plants' roots would be surrounded by billions of beneficial microbes that manufacture enzymes.

These enzymes are constantly breaking down dead roots, other organic matter, and unused nutrients. They transform them into materials that your plants use for fuel to make more vigorous growth and maximize yields.

Rich enzymes in the root zone are one main reason outdoor plants get so huge and productive.

But you can't just throw in any enzymes. You have to give your root zone the most powerfully appropriate enzymes for the job.

Turns out those exceptionally useful enzymes are chitinases, proteases, hydrolases, glucanases and cellulases.

When you insert live, thriving, concentrated amounts of these enzymes into your root zone, you create the vigorous enzymatic environment your roots need.

At the same time, the enzymes are turning debris into pre-digested food for your plants!

YOU GET WHAT YOU REALLY NEED IN AN ENZYME FORMULA

Now let's take a moment to examine how you get the perfect enzymes into a formula that works in your hydroponics garden.

Because what a lot of hydroponics companies do is take shortcuts that short circuit the value of enzymes. Instead of using the precise types and ratios of enzymes that have been shown to work the hardest and fastest in your root zone, some companies outsource their manufacturing so they don't know what's in their enzyme products.

Because when you want to deliver a guaranteed effective enzyme formula to gardeners, you have to get enzymes that have been specially extracted in professional bioengineering laboratories.

Scientists in these labs grow huge amounts of beneficial soil microbes (the kind that manufacture the enzymes your plants need), and then they ferment those microbes to get concentrated doses of enzymes.

After that, the enzymes are tested individually and together to ensure that they have maximum shelf life, viability and effectiveness in the root zone.

Sometimes our scientists found that an individual enzyme might not work so well with other enzymes, or that a particular enzyme just cannot be kept active in solution. They also discover the optimum pH and liquid viscosity that works to preserve the bioactivity of enzymes for long periods of time.

Of course, there are other considerations. Our scientists are aware of the pH and temperature of nutrient water in your hydroponics garden. They make sure that Sensizym's enzymes function at full strength in your range of pH and temperature.

By the way, it's interesting to note that there's a circular cycle of benefits involving Sensizym enzymes and beneficial microbes in your root zone.

For example, when Sensizym's enzymes break down dead organic material into sugars, beneficial microbes eat the sugars, creating more enzymes.

SensiZym_GA_bg.gif

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
i remember hearing ppl say that for example vodoo juice is no more that just septic tank cleaner to a tee..havent used it since and have seen no difference at all..

Top Bottom