Experiences With Foxtails

• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Will this effect bud quality? (If you have any prior experience with it)

• Sadly, your buds will be fluffy and bland.

• They will be fine with a good trim, dank as ever.

• Pull them out now, it will only get worse.

Results are only viewable after voting.
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Hi people,

I am having this tiny foxtailing problem. This is the second time i grow these plants. They are clones from mothers that didn’t show foxtailing first run.

I thought it may be because it was getting too much light cause its mostly at the top colas but i noticed some of the lower ones show minimal foxtailing too.

I pulled up my lights to about 16” and i am out of vertical space now. It was at like 12” or so because i didn’t had any headspace, i thought they would be ok, guess not.

What i want to ask is. What do you think is causing this foxtailing?

They are different strains, 2 Dinachem and 2 Northern Lights and they all exhibit this symptom, so the lights seem like the most plausible culprit right?

I suspected the lights so turned of an 80w cob and moved it to 16”. Was getting 80+K lux with cheap lightmeter, now i am getting 40K lux.

Ps: they are about 15 days away from harvest.

Experiences with foxtails
Experiences with foxtails 2
Experiences with foxtails 3
Experiences with foxtails 4
Experiences with foxtails 5
Experiences with foxtails 6

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
To me, they look like they are about done. When I start to see that, it is typically when the plant is spent and is going too long. Surprisingly, corn will do the same thing if left too long in the field. I often find a small nub at the end of a huge cola when trying to let it get huge-er. Too much heat can also cause it, so look for hot spots if it's just in one area.

Monster762

Monster762

Hi people,

I am having this tiny foxtailing problem. This is the second time i grow these plants. They are clones from mothers that didn’t show foxtailing first run.

I thought it may be because it was getting too much light cause its mostly at the top colas but i noticed some of the lower ones show minimal foxtailing too.

I pulled up my lights to about 16” and i am out of vertical space now. It was at like 12” or so because i didn’t had any headspace, i thought they would be ok, guess not.

What i want to ask is. What do you think is causing this foxtailing?

They are different strains, 2 Dinachem and 2 Northern Lights and they all exhibit this symptom, so the lights seem like the most plausible culprit right?

I suspected the lights so turned of an 80w cob and moved it to 16”. Was getting 80+K lux with cheap lightmeter, now i am getting 40K lux.

Ps: they are about 15 days away from harvest.

View attachment 837104 View attachment 837105 View attachment 837106 View attachment 837107 View attachment 837108 View attachment 837109
Your good. That’s not even really foxtailing. A sometimes it’s heat but a lot of times it’s genetic. I got strains foxtail in regular rock hard trich coated dank.
0802F706 94CE 4209 9BBF A4136F2A91E7
Ugly pic. I deleted most my pics recently. But you can see how the top is. And it’s fire produces a lot of kief too. Dense too.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Your good. That’s not even really foxtailing. A sometimes it’s heat but a lot of times it’s genetic. I got strains foxtail in regular rock hard trich coated dank. View attachment 837131Ugly pic. I deleted most my pics recently. But you can see how the top is. And it’s fire produces a lot of kief too. Dense too.
Sorry bro's I disagree. I think its much harsher of a smoke.
The trichromes are usually pretty much the only thing this plant does have an adundance of.
The smell/resin production is something that seems affected when this happens to me. I had the same issue . the plant never tightened up. Just produced white hairs on top of the orange ones

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

should I start lowering ppm?
These were in with my autos and turned out to be photos. I treated am like autos so the fought back a little. Cal mag issue .Blah blah blah... Should I lower ppm to say 500 ppm for pic #2
She smells lovely and is from the same batch of Foxtail bitch ass CK white widows. Next is cheese/haze sativa dominant photos. @greencraft ??

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
To me, they look like they are about done. When I start to see that, it is typically when the plant is spent and is going too long. Surprisingly, corn will do the same thing if left too long in the field. I often find a small nub at the end of a huge cola when trying to let it get huge-er. Too much heat can also cause it, so look for hot spots if it's just in one area.
They went about 60 days last run and the high is good so i was thinking of pulling them at 60. There is a miscalculation there they have 10 days left maximum. It is the 50th day of flowering now. I dont think they have been going for too long.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
They look great. Don't worry, the foxtailing won't cause any loss in weight or quality. I actually like the explosion look, as long as the trimmers are careful with them :)
I hope not cause these are some tasty good weed and it is not a bad case of foxtailing either so we’ll see :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I dont see any real foxtailing.lower the temps a little
I have been getting readings with a laser thermometer and at the top of the buds i was getting 29C max. This is the reading i get from the plant tissue ambient is probably never over 25. I was actually worried it was getting a bit cold. I grew these plants without any foxtailing in summer and it was hotter then. Total mindfuck.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Sorry bro's I disagree. I think its much harsher of a smoke.
The trichromes are usually pretty much the only thing this plant does have an adundance of.
The smell/resin production is something that seems affected when this happens to me. I had the same issue . the plant never tightened up. Just produced white hairs on top of the orange ones
Hope it will be better for me. I know my buds have tightened up cause when i shake the branches to fell the weight of the nugs, i fell they are packing on some weight, and the smell seems is good too. Never squezed the buds but when i brush up against them by mistake my whole arm smell :) i hope it wont be a harsh smoke tho.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Your good. That’s not even really foxtailing. A sometimes it’s heat but a lot of times it’s genetic. I got strains foxtail in regular rock hard trich coated dank. View attachment 837131Ugly pic. I deleted most my pics recently. But you can see how the top is. And it’s fire produces a lot of kief too. Dense too.
These have grown very well in the first run and it was in summer so it was hotter. I am really lost right now. If i havent fed them alfalfa fpe by mistake there arent any reasons for them to foxtail. I hope i havent fed them alfalfa when i was high :D
Hope they will be good as their sisters i am smoking right now :) there are lots of trichs on the foxtails too..

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Maybe cut back on feeding i've noticed high ppms (overfeeding) can cause foxtailing as well .
They have been getting water from the start, no feeding. One of them is almpst completely faded and even that has foxtails. Dont know man, i know its not nutes but dont know what it is..

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
View attachment 837136 should I start lowering ppm?
These were in with my autos and turned out to be photos. I treated am like autos so the fought back a little. Cal mag issue .Blah blah blah... Should I lower ppm to say 500 ppm for pic #2
She smells lovely and is from the same batch of Foxtail bitch ass CK white widows. Next is cheese/haze sativa dominant photos. @greencraft ??
Yeah mine are not that bad.. yet! :D
Kidding it looks good :) you can always trim those anyway..
You saying the smell is good fills me with optimism :)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
fox tailing is based on 2 factors, genetics and environment/temps

The genetic based foxtails will be as potent as a regular bud, they just suck for bag appeal. But potency is still there. :D Heat related foxtailing is a potency killer.

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
fox tailing is based on 2 factors, genetics and environment/temps

The genetic based foxtails will be as potent as a regular bud, they just suck for bag appeal. But potency is still there. :D Heat related foxtailing is a potency killer.
Hope not :) i mean it is not a very bad case so i dont know maybe i caught it in time.
Temps are not that high. I stay in my tent from time to time and it is very comfortable in there. I havent get this even in summer and it was getting hotter in there for sure.
As for genetics, they are both showing this minimal foxtailing so i think it is probably environmental.
I hope it was because of the lights being too close and the issue will be solved now.
Will the foxtails fatten up in the next 10 days if the issue has been solved?
Will it continue to foxtail even if the issue has been solved? Should i harvest now?

Latest posts

Top Bottom