Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

Orgasm thread......... I kind of felt the last grow that it made the most sense to me, if you weren't concerned about electricity usage. I'm kind of dreading the work to hang the HPS, but the room would need some additional work in there- which means all the plants would have to be taken out for a few hours.

And something else just occurred to me- do I hang the HPS above or below the LED's.......LOL

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If you want more red there are red booster led strips. Cant think right now where i saw them. What is the color temp of the gavita?

Cracken

Cracken

Some late night ramblings........listening to some music. I find it interesting that I'm struggling with how short these friggin plants are. With so many years growing, I thought I pretty much had seen it all and generally am able to counter-act issues and make things well again. I think what most people find interesting with my threads is, most everyone of my grows manages turns out well- high quality, nice yield, etc.- time and again. Many people have said something to that effect if you read thru my older threads over at RIU. I just don't have poor grows. (knock on wood).

So I find myself in an unusual place. I can't say I ever remember plants so short at this point. Some Bubba Kushes can be really short and I did a Sensi Seeds Hindu Kush that were all like "minature" plants, but I'm stumped on how to proceed. I might be a day or two away from pulling the LED's out and putting the HPS's in until flowering. The plants are very healthy, I watered tonight and did some inspection- I think they are actually healthier than the Orange Gasm plants were at this point.

So, here's a comparison of the growth with pic's:

Day 14 post #84

Day 16 post #129

Day 21 post #171

My decision in the next day depends where I think the plants will be in 2 more weeks of veg. They seem to be picking up speed, but that's like snail speed then to turtle speed now. I guess I can also add more red light to the room too, that will have to be thought out more. The only thing that's actually changed in the room is the addition of the reflective plastic on the walls (and possibly adding MORE white light to the plants than last grow).

So, what do you think and what's my next step.
I watched a video explaining about different colours of light and how it effects a plants growth and i think you are right on point with the height issue. Red and especially far red is suppose to cause a plant to stretch more like in nature when a taller tree branch is shading lower branches. I know I am not an expert by any stretch but I have noticed the same issue with my plants under LED. So I turned my lights down to 50% and raised the lights to 48" and it seemed to help as the plants are then made to stretch out reaching for the light. I did that for a week and it seemed to get a little more height. As MIMED suggested adding some red led strips could help also to get the stretch and then. ok I will sit down and get back to my seat at the back of the bus.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I watched a video explaining about different colours of light and how it effects a plants growth and i think you are right on point with the height issue. Red and especially far red is suppose to cause a plant to stretch more like in nature when a taller tree branch is shading lower branches. I know I am not an expert by any stretch but I have noticed the same issue with my plants under LED. So I turned my lights down to 50% and raised the lights to 48" and it seemed to help as the plants are then made to stretch out reaching for the light. I did that for a week and it seemed to get a little more height. As MIMED suggested adding some red led strips could help also to get the stretch and then. ok I will sit down and get back to my seat at the back of the bus.

You are right. The university of michigan and nasa both agree blue light for compact leafy plants and red light for branching and flowering and overall height.

I had the same problem with 315 cmh. Really preferred having the 600 hps or 2 around it. Thats the killer spectrum. Full with a strong red spike.

The new led diodes are awesome but they are still blue phosphors regardless of color temp. Thats why like you said they now have far red to supplement.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I think you are over-worrying tbh. But you knew that. I could be wrong of course. Just my gut reaction. I would stick to the plan. God knows you don't want to bring in the hps every darn grow.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
You are right. The university of michigan and nasa both agree blue light for compact leafy plants and red light for branching and flowering and overall height.

I had the same problem with 315 cmh. Really preferred having the 600 hps or 2 around it. Thats the killer spectrum. Full with a strong red spike.

The new led diodes are awesome but they are still blue phosphors regardless of color temp. Thats why like you said they now have far red to supplement.
I don't think it's that simple re: far red. I don't think anyone on earth knows exactly everything that frequency does, but it's present in sunlight in pretty high quantities and definitely is used by the plant to determine shade level. In other words, phenotypic variation can result explicitly from this frequency.

It's also used to determine the day night cycle.

I mean emerson effect and all that too but that seems kind of incidental compared to shade level.

And it affects terps.

But it's been studied very little. Weird. Just weird.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don't think it's that simple re: far red. I don't think anyone on earth knows exactly everything that frequency does, but it's present in sunlight in pretty high quantities and definitely is used by the plant to determine shade level. In other words, phenotypic variation can result explicitly from this frequency.

It's also used to determine the day night cycle.

I mean emerson effect and all that too but that seems kind of incidental compared to shade level.

And it affects terps.

But it's been studied very little. Weird. Just weird.

I was simplifying on purpose. The best info is from Bruce Bugby from the university of utah imo.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yes that was the video, i watched. 30 years of research is worth a listen.
Bugbee (utah state btw) has a couple. He also lists some papers worth following up on in one of the videos. Fascinating topic being studied actively right now. I bought six far red led strips (roughly 5 watts each) to split between my plants and my wife's tropical plants because I wanted to see what he was talking about re: growth and shade response for myself.

You'll never believe this, but I think the good doctor is right.....😆

Madmax

Madmax

Orgasm thread......... I kind of felt the last grow that it made the most sense to me, if you weren't concerned about electricity usage. I'm kind of dreading the work to hang the HPS, but the room would need some additional work in there- which means all the plants would have to be taken out for a few hours.

And something else just occurred to me- do I hang the HPS above or below the LED's.......LOL
Give your daughter a couple gummies to help ya 😉..i bet you will start looking at strains with more % sativa in them..how much % were in the orgasms sshz..

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

I’d probably also try just dimming the lights to bring out vertical growth in your situation. Seems like the simple solution to me. I would worry that adding HPS to the room, although it adds some red, will further increase light saturation and convince the plants they have absolutely no incentive to become taller

EDIT: although, if you really wanted to maximize these factors, if you can bring in an HPS while also dimming your LEDs until the final light intensity is lower than it is right now, that would maybe bring the biggest change. Only brainstorming here

sshz

sshz

Give your daughter a couple gummies to help ya 😉..i bet you will start looking at strains with more % sativa in them..how much % were in the orgasms sshz..

The Orgasm's were 85% sativa............. you may be right there.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You know, it doesn't mention it. All it states is a "balanced, full spectrum light output"................. but for sure, it leans heavily to white.

Weird. Just says samsung and osram led’s but here is a pic of the spectrum and it is quite heavy in blue (strangely like spider farmer amd mars spectrums).

EBFF288E CD1B 44DC B8B5 F61D9C50623D

And here is an hlg r spec flower spectrum.

426D384D EB05 4329 B37F 9418C98AEA23

Like a hortilux hps with twice the blue but still strong dominant red peak.

On the other hand you just out yielded well, everyone. ;-)

Anthem

Anthem

Sshz have you considered raising the lights? Leave them at high power but raise them up so the plants want to stretch to the lights.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

I think I’ll do that today......raise them to 48 inches and we’ll see what happens........

That was the plan, I was just looking for confirmation!
If you have the ability to dim them (I don’t recall exactly what your controllers allow) then you can achieve the same effect and save on electric while you’re at it. Although that would probably bring your room temp down slightly, which may be more important to you.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
If you have the ability to dim them (I don’t recall exactly what your controllers allow) then you can achieve the same effect and save on electric while you’re at it. Although that would probably bring your room temp down slightly, which may be more important to you.
You also lose on some penetration that way.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

You also lose on some penetration that way.
Fair, the gradient from full intensity to 0 occurs on a shorter scale in that case. I wonder if that would be good or bad for encouraging vertical growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom