Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

I respect Aqua Man, as he was just about the only person to speak out last crop about the yields...... but, I'm convinced the Sweet Zombie is a bit different than what I grew last time. Over time, as breeders run out of seed stock and go to remake a strain- things often change. I'm wondering if IT'S NOT THE YIELDER it once was, like 3 1/2 years ago. I was a tester for Sweet Seeds and worked closely with their Green Poison for over 2 years. The strain after a couple of seed runs was far different than where it began.

My point being, even though this turned into a really nice grow, and it smells great and is very sticky- maybe it's yield is not hitting high numbers any more. A growers experience can only coax out what the genetics allows, and not much more than that.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I respect Aqua Man, as he was just about the only person to speak out last crop about the yields...... but, I'm convinced the Sweet Zombie is a bit different than what I grew last time. Over time, as breeders run out of seed stock and go to remake a strain- things often change. I'm wondering if IT'S NOT THE YIELDER it once was, like 3 1/2 years ago. I was a tester for Sweet Seeds and worked closely with their Green Poison for over 2 years. The strain after a couple of seed runs was far different than where it began.

My point being, even though this turned into a really nice grow, and it smells great and is very sticky- maybe it's yield is not hitting high number any more. A growers experience can only coax out what the genetics allows, and not much more than that.
Still feel ya gonna get around 100 mark. I'm a bit high maybe but I also said that last time lol. Looking pretty dense to me but will it make up the difference? Guess I have to wait and see... but I still think its gonna come in well above the 80s and prob high 90s if not 100

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

By pinching I mean topping...... sorry for the confusion.

No apology necessary! I'm sorry to belabor the point but I was wondering if you'd share how you usually do that? I feel like my timing with training in veg has been pretty off and I end up getting to them late.

I know it's fully subjective but I like the way your grows look so I'm curious what your method is. Do you wait till a certain number of nodes, then top? On the second round do you top both the new mains and end up with 4 mains or is it more of a by-feel kinda deal?

sshz

sshz

So everyone knows, I take no credit for the even canopy's of the last two grows- it's the LED's and nothing I'm particularly doing that's allowing it. The sativa (orange gasm) I topped once, the Sweet Zombie (indica) I did not touch. I may be wrong, but I think the terrific light spread that the Gavita offers, enhances the even canopy. This next grow will be an interesting test, as I plan to keep the lights a lot higher in veg to allow for more upward stretch. When I get them where I want them, I'll lower the LED's to 18-20 inches to stop the verticle reach and start flowering. That's the plan..........

I don't know if I can add much more to the subject, this is all new to me too.

beluga

beluga

So everyone knows, I take no credit for the even canopy's of the last two grows- it's the LED's and nothing I'm particularly doing that's allowing it. The sativa (orange gasm) I topped once, the Sweet Zombie (indica) I did not touch. I may be wrong, but I think the terrific light spread that the Gavita offers, enhances the even canopy. This next grow will be an interesting test, as I plan to keep the lights a lot higher in veg to allow for more upward stretch. When I get them where I want them, I'll lower the LED's to 18-20 inches to stop the verticle reach and start flowering. That's the plan..........

I don't know if I can add much more to the subject, this is all new to me too.
I think there are probably things like timing and placement at play, too.
I do agree about more evenly spread lighting creating a more even canopy.
But there's, for sure, grower skill/knowledge at play there, as well.
Reading plants is like seeing artwork. You can learn the methods and techniques, but you don't really know how to use them until your eye knows how to see what's right.
I like the minimal-intervention approach, but it does definitely require that feel and experience above methods like LST/Mainlining/SCROG that can make up for mishaps or oversights.
Also consistency. If you don't have all of your mediums dialed in all the same way and fed/watered equally, you're probably not gonna see them so even, either.

I dunno where I'm going with this, but don't sell yourself and your skills short.

I'll be interested to see what your next strategy yields.
I feel like you found the sweet spot pretty damn well as far as plant height/bud ratio.

sshz

sshz

"I dunno where I'm going with this, but don't sell yourself and your skills short."

Believe me, I don't. I'm cocky, I just don't like to show it on here. If I was young guy, it would probably be different. At 64, I have nothing more to prove. I let my work speak for itself.

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

Your work:
screaming-woman-mouth-wide-open-260nw-9698500.jpg

Madmax

Madmax

My point being, even though this turned into a really nice grow, and it smells great and is very sticky- maybe it's yield is not hitting high numbers any more. A growers experience can only coax out what the genetics allows, and not much more than that.
I think your spot on there sshz.ive always thought that when they run out of stock.its like they get lazy and just start chucking willy nilly over any old plant..how i was told all those yrs ago you dont ever cross the seeds from the same plant as they get smaller in size.its allways finding the biggest healthiest from a different strain..one of my friends describes it as stating you start off with 2 750 ml bottles the nxt year the 750 turns into 1,25 you cross that with a 1.25 and there offspring are 2.50 etc and so on.....he has been growing 4lb plant back in the late 80s no starting under lights etc.just digs big holes and fills with his compost pops his ballbearings and way they go.he had this gang try and find him from australia to kidnap him to grow plants for them here but they never got him.he got caught here growing and they put the value at 4 million and was in jail for a few years ..great bloke.

sshz

sshz

Well, a lot of breeders just lose the original mothers with busts, robberies, disease and poor choices- it's hard to maintain good breeding stock. Time and again I've seen it- strains like Sannies "Sugar Punch", Sweet Seeds "Green Poison", Dr. GreenThumb's "Endless Sky" and on and on and on- later seed runs were disappointing. Reeferman is another who lost mostly everything in a bust I think and then was dependant on customers to send him clones and seeds to start his breeding programs again. Then you have people either going to jail, dying or serious drug addictions, like GreenHouses main breeder Franco Loja (who died). Nothing is forever.

Many of you don't know Dr. GreenThumb tried to sell his entire business and stock a couple years ago and I guess was asking too much for it so it never happened. I think there were family issues (poor health and marital issues I believe) that forced the sale and he's probably even more disagreeable now that it didn't happen.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Then you have people either going to jail, dying or serious drug addictions, like GreenHouses main breeder Franco Loja (who died). Nothing is forever.
I didn't see that. Was it recent? He was the guy who replaced Shantibaba, right?

Edit: saw it was 2017. Wonder what they have been doing since.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Could be right, but Franco was with Arjan for many years and became a partner and basically ran the business day to day. Arjan was more the promotional front guy, which he enjoyed more than getting down and dirty with the plants. Franco caught malaria in the Congo, while searching for strains worldwide and couldn’t survive it.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Could be right, but Franco was with Arjan for many years and became a partner and basically ran the business day to day. Arjan was more the promotional front guy, which he enjoyed more than getting down and dirty with the plants. Franco caught malaria in the Congo, while searching for strains worldwide and couldn’t survive it.
This is where I get that. From the breeder board here.

Screenshot 20201228 210347

sshz

sshz

I'm assuming one of the top guys who worked closely with Franco took over as the head grower....... but who knows. I haven't grown anything from GreenHouse since 1991 or 1992 so I don't follow them at all anymore.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'm assuming one of the top guys who worked closely with Franco took over as the head grower....... but who knows. I haven't grown anything from GreenHouse since 1991 or 1992 so I don't follow them at all anymore.
Ever grow MNS gear?

sshz

sshz

Over the years, I've done some of theirs.......... One of the best was Medicine Man which is White Rhino. At the time it was the highest yielding strain I ever did and a great strain overall. Also have done Ortega, SSHZ (now you know where my name comes from), Black Widow and maybe 1-2 more that don't come to mind. If you are looking for original genetics from the late 80's and early 90's, I'd go to Shanti first before anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom