Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I was talking about the extra plant.

sshz

sshz

did you steer sshz into these lights? I get the impression you've had your unit a bit longer than him.

I never mentioned I was buying these to anyone on the this site until I did. I did some general research, but have friends in Denver who recommended these to me. They manage large grow operations, I trust their opinion explicitly. As I've stated previously many times, I wanted to lower my room heat in the summer and thought these would accomplish this. Little did I expect to be running hotter than I did when I was using HPS.

sshz

sshz

I was talking about the extra plant.

I always start extra seeds, and try to have some extra plants available too. It's common to have some seeds that don't sprout, or plants that have issues or have something wrong. I look at each plant being worth over $1000 to me at harvest, and I don't like to take a hit in the end. So I buy extra seeds, and grow extra plants.

sshz

sshz

So I hooked up one of those fan speed adjusters to my exhaust fan. With the cooler days and nights, the room is running at 79.2 avg right now. Later in the grow I'll let the dehumidifier supply some extra heat but right now, I have to manipulate it with the exhaust system. When turned off, the room jumps to 86+ degrees, so I'm just adjusting the fan speed lower until I lock in the 82 degrees in the room. By the way, the door stays closed right now to try and increase the heat that way too.

41acgG oI6L AC UL320

Madmax

Madmax

You still not going to tip them sshz..how do you think the light will go with the lower buds seems main cola will b say a foot higher or two than the rest of the plant..or will it b a wait and see approach how the laterals grow...

Cheers max

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never mentioned I was buying these to anyone on the this site until I did. I did some general research, but have friends in Denver who recommended these to me. They manage large grow operations, I trust their opinion explicitly. As I've stated previously many times, I wanted to lower my room heat in the summer and thought these would accomplish this. Little did I expect to be running hotter than I did when I was using HPS.
I kinda see this as a bonus. You can run warmer twmps with LED'S because lower amounts of IR. you get a more even leaf temp through the plant when ambient temp is the biggest driver of leaf temp. Also the bonus of higher root temps. With 80f according to Bruce being about optimal. I have noticed a huge difference in growth just from root temps based on some testing I did in my hydro. While 72-74f seems to be the ideal spot there i belive that 78-80f would be the most optimal in media where the roots are not submerged, including the microbes. The only reason for the difference imo is because of the dissolved o2 content. At some point the lower saturation level outweighs the increase to metabolism and I kinda feel like that happens around 77+f in hydro. But could also be just the gas exchange rate of my system although I don't feel thats the case.

sshz

sshz

You still not going to tip them sshz..how do you think the light will go with the lower buds seems main cola will b say a foot higher or two than the rest of the plant..or will it b a wait and see approach how the laterals grow...

Cheers max

I've given this a lot of thought lately............ I feel at this point, topping them would just slow them down even more and would be counter-productive. Tues will be 3 weeks, the plan is to let them do their thing for 2 more and then flower. I definitely want more light available to the side shoots so I'll probably do a light defoliation on just the few biggest sun leaves on each plant- which should be enough to help the side branches along. Many reports I've read said plants grown under LED's will normally stay pretty even anyway, canopy wise, and I can always bend the main stem if necessary if it gets to tall (which it won't). It's just a wait and see approach right now- all I really care about is having healthy plants at this point and they all look great to me.

If you remember, or have read the old thread over at RIU- you'd see me talking about how much lower stuff I ended up throwing out with that crop at harvest. The Sweet Zombie put off plenty of side branching, although things will be different under the LED's no doubt. But the side branching should be plentiful in the end. I didn't top them last time either.

I've been fertilizing at a minimum so far, and I think it's time to kick it into gear moving forward. Additional N should help things along growth wise too. They like their Cal/Mag too, and although I've been running at 5ml per gallon, I'll start creeping that up slowly too.

Growingfather

Growingfather

Hey sshz do u LST ur plants. Using a couple pipe cleaners to spread out ur ladies does wonders

sshz

sshz

I've done a mild form of that at times, it just depends on how the plants develop. These plants are way to small for that right now anyway. In a week or two I'll decide how to proceed but like the Orange Gasm, I don't expect to have to do much other than defoliate. I did top the Orange Gasm once, but they were 85% sativa and I was worried about height. I'm not worried about the height of these one iota. They just need some more time to develop, thus the extra week of flowering.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
(fwiw, sweet zombie is currently the tallest of the five strains I'm running....she's not exactly bubba kush or anything).

But I'm not running any sativa dominant plants structure wise.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
What are your lights again???
Lol not as nice as yours. Viparspectra p1500. 300w total. The spectrum is close-ish....then I'm running the supplemental far red. Idk how that contributes at all.

She has really stretched the last 72 hours. Looks almost just like the chemdog structure wise....it's nuts. Different leaves though.

Yours are ahead but she looked just like it before she just got really vigorous from the last pic I saw. Like I can't believe she overtook chemdog size wise.

Hence I'm really, really curious how yours react to the defoliation. And just how they grow the next two weeks. Because I was surprised.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Red stretches the plants, white keeps the short and leafy. You vegged for around 5-6 weeks too, right? Yours look way more developed, but that's expected as they are farther along in age. I was started to think about supplementing the room with some hps (I have 2 600 watters not being used) but the heat generated would be ridiculous.

sshz

sshz

Just thinking, is a 100 oz room possible if the plants aren't taller than 15 inches???? I measured tonight, the tallest plant is under 5 inches right now, at almost 3 weeks?? The plant's width is longer than their height. I'm starting to wonder if I'll need to go to 6 weeks in veg instead of 5 weeks....... One thing is for certain- the branches will be able to hold a lot of weight. Very thick and sturdy already.

Madmax

Madmax

Your right i never thought of all the white light.i have that problem right now under the cmh..they are short as fuck from 40 inches away lol..the aurora indica (middle) is near wider than tall.those short ones have 6 -7 nodes lol..i was thinking of cutting some out as its just going to b thick as.....your plants will most likely grow right into ea other.this indica in middle is 95%.others are just bagseed experimental.back left is a dinafem quik critacal 75% indica.has better gaps between the nodes but small stem spindly like..this has been a good practice run before i get some great genetics..lights just came on....
20201011 190504

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Red stretches the plants, white keeps the short and leafy. You vegged for around 5-6 weeks too, right? Yours look way more developed, but that's expected as they are farther along in age. I was started to think about supplementing the room with some hps (I have 2 600 watters not being used) but the heat generated would be ridiculous.
I vegged 30 days from first cotyledons spread. The plants started out slow height-wise but their root growth was amazing. Then it was just boing.

As soon as I defoliated, the branches were filling in the space left behind by the fan leaves within 48 hours. It was crazy. I am very happy I followed your lead on that one.

Since then, growth has been mostly up, not out?

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Time will tell I guess......... I expect these to be a ft tall when I flower. The Orange Gasm gained all of 6-8 inches in flowering- these will probably stretch less. First a sativa, now an indica and it will give me a good baseline moving forward. I still believe I could be growing a haze and it would be short and stocky. LOL

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Time will tell I guess......... I expect these to be a ft tall when I flower. The Orange Gasm gained all of 6-8 inches in flowering- these will probably stretch less. First a sativa, now an indica and it will give me a good baseline moving forward. I still believe I could be growing a haze and it would be short and stocky. LOL
I'd guess between 12 and 18 inches at flip, yeah. But idk, you are ahead of where I was and planning on a 35 day veg, right?

sshz

sshz

At least 35 days at this point but may go to 42 if necessary.............Tues will be 3 weeks. They look great, but are just ridiculously short. Since the Orange Gasm yielded so much, I'm not in as much of a rush as I'd normally be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom