Expertise Needed With New Uc 6 Site Xl System

• Thread starter serenegreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
serenegreen

serenegreen

Using mills all the way although I have the CC a and b for veg. Ice is what I'm running this time and starting the beans in rock wool before introducing. New for me so all constructive criticism helps here. I'm unsure of the necessary ec levels and water level if I've put in a 1.5" cube or 4" cube. Also depends on pheno and sadly can't be picky since I'm taking the leap and germing them in rock wool. I'm sure there will be different ones.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I wouldn't even think about putting them in the UC system until you have sprouted them in a tray and dome with the 1.5" cubes, top at the 4th node, get decent root spikes out of the bottom, then put in the 4" cubes until you get major major roots shooting out of the bottom on the 4" cube, still in a clone tray, no dome..sex the plants for male/female, and then put into the UC system..until you know exactly what you have as far as male and female it is a waste of time to put into the UC system.

Soak you cubes in a very very light solution of grow and a touch of rooting solution like Clonex or Hormex, I prefer a splash of hormex like 1-2ml per gallon max and same with the grow 1-2ml per gallon..ph to 5.5 and let sit for a few hours, check then and ph corrent if needed back to 5.5ph

U

Unicorns

Thanks TK, Good to know thank you for the input, I was just trying to save the chiller from running nut solution through it maybe the lifespan would last. You don't think I'll need it to keep 50 gal res at temp? Or as it drip feeds in it will naturally reflect the systems temp? pump I have for 1/10 chiller is a 550 gph, think it might be a bit overkill I\\had initially intended that for the 50 gal res.

I would consider going to a 1/4 hp chiller. the 1/10 will struggle in warmer temps.Also if you can put air pump, chiller, ballast outside of room to help control room temperature.

serenegreen

serenegreen

small formality with chiller..Largest inlet and outlet barb for chiller is 3/4"... Should I just use a 3/4"hose to compensate? My hoses are all 1"
20150906 094750

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

small formality with chiller..Largest inlet and outlet barb for chiller is 3/4"... Should I just use a 3/4"hose to compensate? My hoses are all 1"View attachment 534206

I'd stay with the 1" hoses that came with the system. I ran into the same problem with my chiller. Lowes has them in the right size and they aren't expensive. I just built mine up with electrical tape and put a good hose clamp on it. No leaks.

I've been starting from seed and use the same system that Texas Kid outlined. They go in the system when they have 3-4 nodes and some roots through the 4" cube. One thing I learned the hard way was not to try and push them too hard too fast. Keep your nutes mild and lights raised until they are looking ready for more. I still consider myself a beginner even though I'm on my 5th grow. This one is the first where I haven't had any issues getting my plants going, once the seeds germinated. Rates were so bad I suspect my package might have gotten zapped.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Sorry..full tilt is usually about week 3 or 4 in flower till the end...my 8 site setups would drink about 400 gallons a week..I set the drum up on something and let it gravity feed into the epicenter

Is that a 13 gal. system? I'm using about 60 gallon a week in an 8 gal., 8 pot system. But I've got some environmental issues that are effecting my transpiration rate.

serenegreen

serenegreen

it's an 8 gal 6xl. Thanks for the heads up just finished measuring out the 60 gal res, how much were they taking in the beginning? dont want to waste nutes on unnecessary top off. What line are you running? I'm thinking about running the a and b for current culture then swicthing to mills

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

excellent idea thank you, and it's good advice, any issues with mold/mildew?

I had a little algae grow on top of a couple rock wool cubes but only because I was having germination issues and they sat under the veg light longer than normal. Even if there is a little by then they should be ready to go in the system and be covered, stopping the light and killing it.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

it's an 8 gal 6xl. Thanks for the heads up just finished measuring out the 60 gal res, how much were they taking in the beginning? dont want to waste nutes on unnecessary top off. What line are you running? I'm thinking about running the a and b for current culture then swicthing to mills

I was asking Texas Kid if he's running a 13 gallon system. I had quoted his post. I'm running the same system as you, just more pots. They aren't going to use much until the roots get down into the solution. In fact, in the beginning you should pour some solution over the rock wool every 3-4 days. I don't mix my first top off res until I see the level starting to go down. Even then I might only mix half the first time or two. All depends on how they are doing.

I'm running House & Garden nutes. I tried AN my first run and had lots of issues. H&G has good tech support and I've worked with them on a couple of issues I had. I'm running their Aqua Flakes and non organic supplements in a sterile system. This is my 4th grow with them. I felt last grow that I was finally getting a handle on it. This grow is looking the best yet. My advice would be to get with one line and stay with it. These systems do have a learning curve, especially if you're like me and had no hydro experience. Between what I read here and working with H&G I've gotten better with each grow.

serenegreen

serenegreen

makes sense that's been my only concern for the most part. Any particular strain you're doing this round? I like H &G for coco perlite it's done phenomenal in the past. How long do you like to veg for? I've heard it's much quicker

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

All my grows so far have been from seed, and I honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to times. I go more by how the plants are going. I've got a two level SCROG so I veg to the height of the first one, about 15 - 16". From seed to flip I'm probably at about 35 - 40 days on this grow. All my others I had issues in veg that slowed things down.

I've got Emerald Seeds Lemon Diesel in one system and 3 different Sweet Seeds Fast F1s in my other, Sweet Special, Killer Kush and Creme Mandarine. I didn't want 3 different strains but had to start more seeds twice. At least they are all from the same breeder and have similar genetics. They are all looking nice and are budding up faster than the Lemon Diesel

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I do everything in rockwool...pop seeds, clone in 1.5" x 1.5" cubes and early veg in 4" x 4" cubes
I hope your still around brother... I might need to pick yopur brain a lil.. Ive been growing for ove a year in a 8 bucket waterfarm, but today I bought ma a uc6...
My thoughts were gonna be all rockwool too..
but im slightly scared of rockwool lol
its been a lil unforgiving to me a few times..
So how do you water your 4x4?
Cause you root in the 1.5 x 1.5,
then put them in the 4x4..
how long you leave them in the 4x4,
under what light?
and in a drip system? like mini veg..?
just trying to get a feel for your procedure..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

makes sense that's been my only concern for the most part. Any particular strain you're doing this round? I like H &G for coco perlite it's done phenomenal in the past. How long do you like to veg for? I've heard it's much quicker
So how did things turn out bro? I just bought me one today and im eager to learn as much as I can..

Toph420

Toph420

@EventHorizan If you look at their website they have specific recommendations on water level when using rockwool.. For early veg it says to keep the water 1/4" below planting deck with rockwool vs bare root you want the water directly under the root crown so basically at the planting deck. They also just added the note about at around week 2 of veg you can lower the water level to 1/4" below the net pot (if there is enough lateral root growth out of the net pot..)

About to be on my second run with my UC 6 site system and this time i went with seeds instead of clones.. I germ'd the seeds and put them in my turbo cloner and it worked out great! Had a couple little road bumps but in the future i think it will be super easy cause i have it way more dialed in. If you want i can post pics of how i got them in the cloner and their current status..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

@EventHorizan If you look at their website they have specific recommendations on water level when using rockwool.. For early veg it says to keep the water 1/4" below planting deck with rockwool vs bare root you want the water directly under the root crown so basically at the planting deck. They also just added the note about at around week 2 of veg you can lower the water level to 1/4" below the net pot (if there is enough lateral root growth out of the net pot..)

About to be on my second run with my UC 6 site system and this time i went with seeds instead of clones.. I germ'd the seeds and put them in my turbo cloner and it worked out great! Had a couple little road bumps but in the future i think it will be super easy cause i have it way more dialed in. If you want i can post pics of how i got them in the cloner and their current status..
For sure brother! I would be more than happy to set my ass down and and listen to ALL of the advice you have.
Now I am fully confident that I can do this, but it always, always pays to listen to the ppl that have gone before you!
So yes with out a doubt Im down for any advice...

I do see myself in the future germ/rooting in RW 1.5x1.5 transferred into 4x4 cubes,
and vegged in the ucsolo35

I built a lil dwc cloner and rooted bare root clones before, but I thought they were a lil shakey in the rdwc. Maybe I should of buried the cutting further. The plant was wobbly all thru the grow.. I had to kind of tie it up...

Ucsolopro6
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

When I asked him about his rockwool, I was meaning when he veg it before transplant to UC.
Does he do that in a 4x4 flood table with drip was what I meant, BEFORE he puts it in the Uc..
But when I seen the UCSOLO 35 I understood how they veg now!

Top Bottom