Exploding Roots in COCO

• Thread starter dankemhunter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankemhunter

dankemhunter

Okay so I did a little expierement...
The picture below is 12 days from rooted clone.
I am using mills, calmag, and roots excelulator. I gave them their initial water after transplant, and let them go almost completely dry. Then I watered again and did the same thing, let them almost dry out. After the second time of me doing this, roots were exploding through the holes in the bottom of the cups. I watered them every day after their second dry cycle. This is what I am going to do after every transplant from now on..

If anyone has different thoughts, Please chime in.
Thanks!

Coco roots 12 days

Tnelz

Tnelz

Okay so I did a little expierement...
The picture below is 12 days from rooted clone.
I am using mills, calmag, and roots excelulator. I gave them their initial water after transplant, and let them go almost completely dry. Then I watered again and did the same thing, let them almost dry out. After the second time of me doing this, roots were exploding through the holes in the bottom of the cups. I watered them every day after their second dry cycle. This is what I am going to do after every transplant from now on..

If anyone has different thoughts, Please chime in.
Thanks!

View attachment 451947
Awesome brother!

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

View attachment 452031 Nothing produces roots like Coco! Obviously I let her go a little to long in that pot but that was three weeks. From a root riot to a one gallon!
Did you let it go dry after you transplanted? How much water did u inititually give it when you put the riot into the 1 gal?

Tnelz

Tnelz

View attachment 452031 Nothing produces roots like Coco! Obviously I let her go a little to long in that pot but that was three weeks. From a root riot to a one gallon!
This plant was on
Did you let it go dry after you transplanted? How much water did u inititually give it when you put the riot into the 1 gal?
I do the same thing every time in Coco. Have messed with different strengths of things but it's always rinse precharge plant and water in. I can be more specific if u want. Just want to make sure I understand ur question.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

@Tnelz I dono if this sounds right to you, but for their first couple waters after each transplant, I have been watering just enough to the point where they are wet, not saturated and running off. Before my next watering I have been waiting for the pot to feel kinda light but not to the point where the coco is crumbling (still a little moisture). Just curious how you like to go about waterings after your initial transplant. And do you use mycos and azos or any beneficial microbes when transplanting?

Tnelz

Tnelz

@Tnelz I dono if this sounds right to you, but for their first couple waters after each transplant, I have been watering just enough to the point where they are wet, not saturated and running off. Before my next watering I have been waiting for the pot to feel kinda light but not to the point where the coco is crumbling (still a little moisture). Just curious how you like to go about waterings after your initial transplant. And do you use mycos and azos or any beneficial microbes when transplanting?
First I'd have to agree with @burn4me . If it's working for u stay with it. I do add Mycos or some Form of mycorhizze as well as some bennies be it Azos, OG biowar, OG special sauce and recently microbe life. As for watering I Def don't let the Coco dry but I do water slightly less than normal for the first week or so. From how it sounds you Def go longer before watering than I do. In saying that though I can't stress enough if it's working stay with it. I also foliar quite a bit throughout the entire life of the plant. Obviously much more so in veg than bloom and especially right after transplant. Guess that's not the best pic. Lol but she was transplanted from a solo cup two days ago and has roots blowing through the drain holes already. Good luck brother!
20141029 165904

ohgee kush

ohgee kush

@dankemhunter how are you liking mills? Did it do good for you in flower?

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

First I'd have to agree with @burn4me . If it's working for u stay with it. I do add Mycos or some Form of mycorhizze as well as some bennies be it Azos, OG biowar, OG special sauce and recently microbe life. As for watering I Def don't let the Coco dry but I do water slightly less than normal for the first week or so. From how it sounds you Def go longer before watering than I do. In saying that though I can't stress enough if it's working stay with it. I also foliar quite a bit throughout the entire life of the plant. Obviously much more so in veg than bloom and especially right after transplant. Guess that's not the best pic. Lol but she was transplanted from a solo cup two days ago and has roots blowing through the drain holes already. Good luck brother! View attachment 454052
What do u like to foliar on your freshly transplanted girls?

Tnelz

Tnelz

What do u like to foliar on your freshly transplanted girls?
So it kind of depends on the day and where the plant it. Currently I can't get enough of photosynthesis plus by microbe life. Awesome stuff. Some type of b vitamin product right now using mad farmers stuff. Sea green is awesome. Def fulvic acid from time to time. I spray clones a couple times a week with a weak fulvic mix until rooted. That's every time. And fulvic is in most of my foliars throughout the plants life. Also silica a couple times in veg and early bloom. So honestly I don't have a recipe per se. But everything mentioned gets in there at some point. I write everything down and depending on how the girls respond dictates a second treatment or not. A basic recipe could look like b vitamin fulvic and some kelp right after transplant. Or if I'm not liking vigor or after a flush. Also think Epsom should be foliar fed occasionally as well. Sorry I'm not being more specific.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

@dankemhunter how are you liking mills? Did it do good for you in flower?
Didnt even notice this post, sorry mate!
I ended up locking my plants out by following their light feed schedule (believe it or not) so I did not get the full potential. I still got my pound per light but they were small buds (A lot of them though). I have GG4 and Ace of Spades and Plushberry under 3k watts that are 1 week into flower. They have already stretched about a foot through the trellis and its only been a week. They are all praying. So things are going well this round. Not a single deficiency or burn so I am excited to see how they are. Also my first time flowering the GG4 so we will have to see how that goes..

Heres a picture of the GG4 under 2k, 3 days into flower and 3 days under the trellis. They love mills. Roots exploding through drain holes in bottom too. This is in bulk rockwool btw. HPS pictures suck lol ;) Need me some method 7's for pictures (and so I dont go blind). Hopefully the GG4 will get me 2lb per light so I can invest lol. Got another 8k room going into flower in ~3 weeks so Ill keep you updated on that too.
GG4 flower day 4 canopy

chinqlinq

chinqlinq

Your method to get roots to blow in coco is great and has worked great for me too, but for those reading and possibly trying to mimic this method:

BE CAREFUL not to let your coco completely dry out. Very easy tale-tell signs is the coco turning completely light brown, dry and crumbly on the surface of your pot and the weight of the entire pot and plant feeling extremely light. Coco does not retain as much water nor weight than rockwool and soil, so it will dry out faster. Depending on the environment of your room, make sure to keep an eye out on your plants. Your plant shouldnt completely dry out in 24 hours unless its way past root bound. My fav method of telling my coco's moisture level is just by lifting the plant and feeling the weight - takes a little time to get it down but its pretty obvious once you get it.

Top Bottom