explosive growth in coco coir

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

That’s why I love coco!!!!
But now I wonder what's going to happen in the flowering stage? The veg stage went easily 3x as fast as my last soil grow, but flowering still takes 8-11 weeks. Am I going to see things slow down to a soil pace? Get extra tall colas? Get extra fat colas? Everything so far has been on a breakneck pace.

cannibinoidpadawan

cannibinoidpadawan

But now I wonder what's going to happen in the flowering stage? The veg stage went easily 3x as fast as my last soil grow, but flowering still takes 8-11 weeks. Am I going to see things slow down to a soil pace? Get extra tall colas? Get extra fat colas? Everything so far has been on a breakneck pace.
Man just keep doing what your doing and things will grow at proper pace. You can push the plant in flower but to really get that absolute growth during flower it seems that’s where higher light intensity and possible co2 supplement would come into play.

N

Newber

maybe top them to slow them down a bit 🤷‍♂️ better than running out of room and they recover quick in coco. I waited a week to "recover" after topping and regret it, all 4 feet plus now.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

maybe top them to slow them down a bit 🤷‍♂️ better than running out of room and they recover quick in coco. I waited a week to "recover" after topping and regret it, all 4 feet plus now.
Here's what I had yesterday before replacing fan and raising light more. I've topped a few buds sticking up well above the canopy to slow things down a bit. Now I'm mostly crossing fingers and hoping they don't gain 2 feet.
20220218 210322

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

The plants are starting the flower stretch, and I've raised the lights as high as I can. Hlg 600r now running at full power and putting out 900 par at center top of canopy. From here I reduce power as they grow taller. I've seen a few tiny little pistils on the right front plant.

20220222 142731
Last edited:
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Looking good!
I see other grows in coco here and wonder why their plants are so small/slow? This grow has been a real change from my last one, in soil. I let that crop veg for 3 months and just got them to about this size.

Another surprise is how much of a micro climate these plants (and pots) are creating inside the tent. Since I replaced the inline fan with an AC-Inifinity with both speed control and humidity control, my temps have been surprisingly down as the tent environment has stabilized. Before, I had a 6 inch inline blowing either on or off with temperature (on at 80, off at 77) at full speed. With it off, humidity spiked at night. With it on, humidity plunged. Differences from 30 to 90 percent. Now that the fan can run slower at times, and it also runs a bit at night to keep humidity down, I don't just have more stable humidity, I'm getting surprising temperature drops.

Since the leaf canopy has mostly filled the tent from wall to wall (about a week), I have markedly different climates between top and bottom of canopy. The top, where the AC-Infinity sensor is at, drops to 72-75 at night, while the room temperature is at 77. But below the canopy it's a lot colder. I put one of those 24-hour sensors down there (tells high/low/current temp and humidity over last 24hours), and at night I'm seeing temps drop to 66f! The pots get a 4th feeding at 1am too. I watch the irrigation run, and I see humidity starting to ramp up immediately. The air pots probably have a fair amount to do with it.

I also replaced the humidifier with one that holds more water. Joke's on me, because this one also has an 'Auto' setting, which turns it off at 50% RH. And I haven't seen the water drop even an inch in several days - it doesn't need to come on now.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Totally agree. I'm on my first coco run and growth rates have been awesome.

Getting my environment dialed in was a little tricky as well. I had to add humidity in veg and dehumidify quite a bit in flower.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Keep in mind, you can still train the 2nd screen during the stretch and keep things manageable. You should have plenty of space.
I'm not as confident right now. Read a lot about Sour Diesel doing a big stretch, and I let these things get too far along before I flipped them. They are now 1 week into 12/12, and growing even faster. I'm weaving tops under the trellis to try to bend them sideways a bit. I have 27 inches left to the light. They are about 4 inches above the top trellis already. Maybe I should have titled this "Too Explosive Growth in Coco". I was used to a soil pace, not this. Couple of pics, including a shot of a female.

20220223 144713
20220223 144931
phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Keep in mind, you can still train the 2nd screen during the stretch and keep things manageable. You should have plenty of space.

I bought wire and made a loop through the x2 hooks off the light. Clamped it with a wire clamp and then hung the light without ratchets when it got too close , will get you bit more height . I can get a pic of your interested when my lights are on next
I think that's what I ended up doing. I was at REI and saw a little pair of carabiner and bought them. Just hooked the two hanging wires together above the tubing. Now have about 8 inches to top of tent over light.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

wow your shits cray bud. Noticed you also in AZ and growing upstairs like me lol keep up the great work. What strains are those?

Chip.Douglas

Chip.Douglas

I should have posted a picture from today to really show the growth. Today is 2 1/2 weeks from the Jan 28 picture. In the past few days I've been defoliating the lower areas and leaves growing into the center under the canopy. I'm going to have to flip these to flower very soon to keep height down. And I've topped them a number of times already.
What strain is that?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Your grow scares me lol I have 4 in a 4x4 as well and oof that looks tough to maintain already. Those ladies are haaaappy no doubt

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

If you can work the space, I would suggest drip away trays and just pvc pipe them to one collection point, it will save “a little” space lol but might help make things easier for run off and collection and as well you can get the wood out of their and won’t have to worry much about any weird outside pathogens or whatever could grow off the wet wood cause last thing ya want is weird mold in the environment.

2Bad

2Bad

If you can work the space, I would suggest drip away trays and just pvc pipe them to one collection point, it will save “a little” space lol but might help make things easier for run off and collection and as well you can get the wood out of their and won’t have to worry much about any weird outside pathogens or whatever could grow off the wet wood cause last thing ya want is weird mold in the environment.
I was going to make a wood joke but it was too hard....

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Last night I saw some water in one lower pot, but all had been dry until then. The diy saucers are a bit tricky to make without leaks, but I will get back in there with silicone seal and fix it. Had i known self draining saucers were out there I would have bought them. I could retrofit if I can engineer the drain connection or replace the sump bucket.

Last thing I need is a mold problem now!

Latest posts

Top Bottom