Extremely saggy leaves just before night cycle

• Thread starter augdawg507
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
augdawg507

augdawg507

Hey guys. I went to switch my plant to the night cycle about half an hour ago and was pretty shocked to find it was sagging intensely.
It was perfectly fine when I checked on it at midnight last night and has been growing generally pretty well. I know that plants can sag right before they begin their night cycle, but I’ve never seen it do this before. Im really hoping that’s all.
The only thing I can think of is I brought it closer to the light last night by about 4 inches. Could that have caused it? I’ve been super careful not to overwater and last watered 2 days ago. The medium is still moist below the surface. I’ve included an image of the plant prior to the sagging, and just now. Thanks for the help guys.

Madbud

Madbud

Don’t mistake it for watering, its the light. Thats what changed, this is the response. Not a problem unless the leaves change texture like a sunburn, imo

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

When a plant has absorbed its DLI it will sag like that because it can't take in any more light. You put the light closer, so the increased intensity provided the DLI quicker, leading to a more pronounced droop at the end of the day.

It's also 6° colder in the second pic.

augdawg507

augdawg507

Don’t mistake it for watering, its the light. Thats what changed, this is the response. Not a problem unless the leaves change texture like a sunburn, imo
Ok. I’ll give some time to get adjusted. Thanks. I knew that was likely it, but the extent to which they dropped caught me off guard.

augdawg507

augdawg507

When a plant has absorbed its DLI it will sag like that because it can't take in any more light. You put the light closer, so the increased intensity provided the DLI quicker, leading to a more pronounced droop at the end of the day.

It's also 6° colder in the second pic.
Hahahah you’re always around for good advice huh? Thanks! You helped get this plant off its deathbed! That’s why it’s around to be saggy in the first place. Seriously, thanks!! Is DLI daily light intake? And yeah the temp goes down to 70-69f during the night cycle, and back up between 76-80 during the day cycle. I just haven’t seen any correlation between temp and saggy leaves prior to this. When I went to check on them this morning the temp was 77.8 and they were still this level of droopy.

augdawg507

augdawg507

Should I leave the light off a bit longer today to give it time to rest?

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

You're welcome, pass it on. Daily Light Interval I believe. Basically the amount of PAR/light a plant can take in during a day. If too much light is available, the plant will try to avoid it by drooping or curling sometimes. No biggie, just reacting to the new light intensity, like someone said before.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Just stick you your schedule. Why did you move the light in the first place? How close is it?

augdawg507

augdawg507

Just stick you your schedule. Why did you move the light in the first place? How close is it?
I moved it from over 2 feet away to like 1foot 9 inches away. I moved it back yo it’s original height tho. I realize saying it out loud I probably fried the poor thing, but I got in my head about growth rate. I see these dudes online getting 2 inches of growth a day and I’ve gotten like an inch In a week. If I just stopped comparing myself to people who have been doing this for years id prolly be a lot more successful. I’m a super anxious person and I’m always thinking about what I’m doing wrong, so I was like the light must be too far away. If I just left it I’m sure there wouldn’t have even been an issue. But I wanted to see if that improved anything. It didn’t lol

freezeland2

freezeland2

Still looks bone dry to me but I digress.

How many gal is that pot?

augdawg507

augdawg507

Still looks bone dry to me but I digress.
I think you were right too. I added some water as it was probably time to water anyway and it just sucked it right up. I’m using peat moss and it’ll typically act hydrophobic if it’s moist, but it absorbed the cup of water I gave like it had never drank before.

Ponky

Ponky

I think you were right too. I added some water as it was probably time to water anyway and it just sucked it right up. I’m using peat moss and it’ll typically act hydrophobic if it’s moist, but it absorbed the cup of water I gave like it had never drank before.
Cup? Bruh. Water that media until fully and consistently saturated.

augdawg507

augdawg507

Lol I gave it multiple cups Dw. I was just using a cup to move the water. My watering can is broken and I didn’t just wanna dump a bucket of water on a 6 inch tall plant. I’ve been gardening my whole life, just am new to cannabis :) I know how to water lmao. Thank you tho!!

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Its natural don't change anything. For an organism that doesn't have a brain somehow the plants still find a way to start to naturally adapt to the light. They anticipate it before it happens. For instance just prior to lights out they will droop and start to sleep. On the reverse of that just before lights on they will lift up in anticipation for the rising light.

augdawg507

augdawg507

Its natural don't change anything. For an organism that doesn't have a brain somehow the plants still find a way to start to naturally adapt to the light. They anticipate it before it happens. For instance just prior to lights out they will droop and start to sleep. On the reverse of that just before lights on they will lift up in anticipation for the rising light.
I’m really hoping they lift back up. They’re just still incredibly droopy half way through the “night”

Top Bottom