Eye Hortilux Powerveg T5 New Color Set

• Thread starter Foxlink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Foxlink

Foxlink

Alright everyone, for you who are still using any fluorescent bulbs, this one is for you.

The PowerVeg T5 bulb that started was a regular bulb with the ability to also send the UVA & UVB out; almost like a blacklight but better. Than Hortilux came out just about a week ago with the color set. All are PowerVeg, but with specific color sets; the 420 (no joking) is a violet/blue, and it aims for growing young plants and helps the chlorophyll A to grow stronger in the stalk. The next one is 460, and it bridges between the gap of vegetative and flowering stages. Next one is 633 it is for leaf size, rejuvenating plant growth, and red spectrum focused for starting fruit/flowering. Last one is 660 for triggering fruiting and flowering.

I have just the 420 and 660 and 2 full spectrum bulbs, and all I can say from a farmer's view, these are exceptional lights vs the normal regular T5 bulbs. Yes, they are a little pricey. But you get what you pay for.
Eye hortilux powerveg t5 new color set

Those are the two PowerVeg full spectrum bulbs on the outside, the 660 is red, the 420 is blue.
Eye hortilux powerveg t5 new color set 2

this is my small set up, and the giant plant is a 3 week old tomato plant who has taken over.
Eye hortilux powerveg t5 new color set 3
Eye hortilux powerveg t5 new color set 4

I can honestly say that the plants LOVE this type of light. It took forever and a day to get the tomato plant to grow, but once I got those bulbs, she took off and went to town.

-Fox

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I have experience with similar tubes. 660 does not last very long, perhaps 2 flowering cycles, and is not really a needed spectrum, although many think so. > 90% of what 660 does is provided by more efficient spectrums ~ 580-620

I am now using Transcend Lighting 30w HOT5 LED tubes. They're $70 BUT will last many many years

Doing a grow here if interested

Foxlink

Foxlink

I have experience with similar tubes. 660 does not last very long, perhaps 2 flowering cycles, and is not really a needed spectrum, although many think so. > 90% of what 660 does is provided by more efficient spectrums ~ 580-620

I am now using Transcend Lighting 30w HOT5 LED tubes. They're $70 BUT will last many many years

Doing a grow here if interested

The difference in the 660 and 580-620nm is covered by the full spectrum ones, hence the reason for two of those. I do like how well your plants are coming around though :) they look very healthy and root systems are strong.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Curious to how much these cost for a 8 light T5?
I hope I read the above post wrong with them being $70 each.
$560 for 8 bulbs sounds insane when a 315w lec will out perform it hands down and cost a hundo less for the whole fixture.
These t5 lights look interesting. Just can't see the cost effectiveness if they're $70 each.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

$560 for 8 bulbs sounds insane when a 315w lec will out perform it hands down and cost a hundo less for the whole fixture.
These t5 lights look interesting. Just can't see the cost effectiveness if they're $70 each.

Yep @ $70. The cost benefit is from grow 4 on. Conventional cfls begin to lose a fair amount of intensity by grow 3, also hood and bulb replacement. The eye won't notice the degradation, but the plants will. I doubt any cfl or conventional bulb manufacturer provides the one parameter that matters to us: PAR umoles. Do a search. Also look up the replacement cost for cmh/lec

Foxlink

Foxlink

Yep @ $70. The cost benefit is from grow 4 on. Conventional cfls begin to lose a fair amount of intensity by grow 3, also hood and bulb replacement. The eye won't notice the degradation, but the plants will. I doubt any cfl or conventional bulb manufacturer provides the one parameter that matters to us: PAR umoles. Do a search. Also look up the replacement cost for cmh/lec

Nope- the PowerVeg 4' bulbs are $35 a piece. Also, it has a huge difference in the spectrum- it has the UVA and UVB, the PAR may be lower, but the plants get the light they need. And they are NOT conventional cfl.

Last edited:
Foxlink

Foxlink

What PhatNuggz is talking about something completely different. The bulbs that are 4' are $35 each. The Trancend Lighting bulbs are $70. But the ones from Eye Hortilux cover a much larger spectrum- they may have a lower PAR, however the lamps produce UVA and UVB lighting as well.

Last edited:
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

$280 for T5's is insane in my book.
That's only the bulbs. Then you have to buy the fixture. That's another $150-$200.
For a whole setup your over $400.
That's a little higher price of purchase compared to the 315w lec.
I never heard of having to replace the reflector on LEC either.
The bulb lasts 1-1.5 years and is only $90.
LEC is less watts, better spectrum and runs cooler.
I don't mean for this to come off disrespectful, Just like a debate once in a while.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Much larger spectrum? Please explain. I was an early adapter of aquarium hot5s and mixing the various spectrum specific tubes going back 4+ years ago.

White bulbs cover PAR, the red bulbs enhance flowering. The only thing unique about the Hortilux seems to be the individual spectrum range bulbs. That's is far from ideal and requires raising the fixture higher above the canopy in order for the individual spectrums to blend together. Neutral White bulbs provide full even spectrum across the entire 4 ft, be it by 2, 4, 6, 8 tubes...

I was told by someone who purchased a CMH that hood replacement cost is $375, as the hood is integrated

Foxlink

Foxlink

Much larger spectrum? Please explain. I was an early adapter of aquarium hot5s and mixing the various spectrum specific tubes going back 4+ years ago.

White bulbs cover PAR, the red bulbs enhance flowering. The only thing unique about the Hortilux seems to be the individual spectrum range bulbs. That's is far from ideal and requires raising the fixture higher above the canopy in order for the individual spectrums to blend together. Neutral White bulbs provide full even spectrum across the entire 4 ft, be it by 2, 4, 6, 8 tubes...

I was told by someone who purchased a CMH that hood replacement cost is $375, as the hood is integrated

To explain: the normal t5 led is covering from ~460 nm to ~700 nm (the ones you are showing off) the powerveg t5 full spectrum is ~320 nm to ~700 nm. The true full spectrum that the powerveg covers with the ~320 nm is actually ultraviolet. The ultraviolet humans eyes can't see, but the plants actually need the light from that spectrum for better health.

Foxlink

Foxlink

$280 for T5's is insane in my book.
That's only the bulbs. Then you have to buy the fixture. That's another $150-$200.
For a whole setup your over $400.
That's a little higher price of purchase compared to the 315w lec.
I never heard of having to replace the reflector on LEC either.
The bulb lasts 1-1.5 years and is only $90.
LEC is less watts, better spectrum and runs cooler.
I don't mean for this to come off disrespectful, Just like a debate once in a while.

No disrespect from you or from PhatNuggz. Most people haven't looked into the reason in the powerveg bulbs are actually that expensive and why should they get them (or at least try).

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
400 bucks plus (including fixture) is getting into the 630 dual bulb setups on CMH's that will blow any T5 out of the water. I love T5's for how cheap and effective they are. This is pretty much going the opposite direction. Just the way I see it. I use T5's for stepping up to 1k's in veg for extra room, cloning and freshies. I'm not knocking them it's just not something most people with multi lights would consider vs cost unless you are all T5's.

edit: The reason they are that expensive is because they say Hortilux on them :p

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If you had a whole ballast of the 660s and turned your other lights out an hour b4 lights off and ran just the 660s for the last hour of light time every day it would help induce plant sleep, making them grow more over night.
The red spectrum simulates the different color light at sunset, telling the plant it is almost time to start sleeping/growing.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I guarantee a 315w lec will spank the t5 in a side by side.
You don't have to replace the reflector either. That is recommended for Gavita style lighting. Which you really don't need to change it anyhow.
I think these t5 are trying to ride the led coattails in pricing claiming similar gains.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

For you doubters, consider that unlike any tube cfls, or HID bulbs, which shine their light 360*s, meaning a good portion is not directed at the canopy, so a 30w LED which shines 100% of its light directly at the canopy exceeds any 54w bulb watt for watt, but folks light to plants is not about watts, it's about umoles. And no cfl manufacturer provides them as they aren't that good, although I have grown pretty decent bud under aquarium hot5 bulbs

If interested, pop over to my thread to see 8 TL leds in action, growing cannabis as I don't want to jack this thread anymore than I already have

Foxlink

Foxlink

FYI: the tomato plant I have growing under 2 PowerVeg full spectrum, one 420 and one 660- the picture I took yesterday. This picture is from this morning:
IMG 0769

Foxlink

Foxlink

If you had a whole ballast of the 660s and turned your other lights out an hour b4 lights off and ran just the 660s for the last hour of light time every day it would help induce plant sleep, making them grow more over night.
The red spectrum simulates the different color light at sunset, telling the plant it is almost time to start sleeping/growing.

That is correct- the red spectrum and UVA UVB from the 660 helps the plant to grow at night time.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Nobody can convince me these are a better option than than a 315w lec.
Price for price, amp for amp, gram per watt. 100 watts less also and less amps. 315w out performs the t5 hands down.
Those tomato plants look ok. Under a 315w lec they would of been shorter and bushier.
These bulbs are a few years late to the party. Really don't see anyone spending buku bucks to outfit a veg room with these since the 315w is cheaper and does a better job.

Foxlink

Foxlink

Nobody can convince me these are a better option than than a 315w lec.
Price for price, amp for amp, gram per watt. 100 watts less also and less amps. 315w out performs the t5 hands down.
Those tomato plants look ok. Under a 315w lec they would of been shorter and bushier.
These bulbs are a few years late to the party. Really don't see anyone spending buku bucks to outfit a veg room with these since the 315w is cheaper and does a better job.

It's OK to have your opinion about it :) the tomato plant is actually only about 3 weeks old, she'll get bigger and bushier :) I'm not trying to sell them, just trying to show they do work (even if expensive) maybe not the best for others, but for me, it works great.

-Fox

Top Bottom