Failure With Led

• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
I recently ran a crop with California light works 440. Used blue dream and bubba kush beans. All harvested when I had about 5% amber tricomes. They were very frosty. Grow went well. Cured six weeks. Smoke was lousy. Tasted OK but not very strong and short lasting. I've never had a grow with weak smoke but this was my first led grow. Was it the leds?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Are these strains you've worked with before? That's my first question.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Not the dream but I've raised bubba Kush multiple times and had great results every time. I've raised many strains but never had results like this. The only problem I had was the grow got very hot - mid 90s for about a week. Other than that very uneventful. Had nutrient burn in week three of flowering which I fixed with a flush. Used the same dirt I always do. This is my first go since moving so I didn't use co2 this time. I'm on the same water system.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well... it sounds like you've got a few runs under your belt, that's my impression at least. I've never had high heat ruin the high before, nor have I ever used CO2, nor have I used LEDs for growing, so the only thing I can really discuss with any measure of intelligence is the heat issue. I've run Bubba Kush and she's always been a good girl, very popular among the tokers. So.. it's hard *not* to blame the LEDs, isn't it?

I'd be running this question in the LED forum. We've got a few cats here who have got their grows pretty well dialed in and are pulling pretty decent crops. I am now drawing a complete and total blank on the guy who's posts I like to follow on this subject, too. Bump this in a day or three and maybe it'll be in my head again.

Edit* Ha! I remembered because he liked one of my posts. @tags420 <--- that's the guy whose posts you want to go read.

tags420

tags420

I saw this. But didn't have a great answer, so I didn't chime in.

My first thought is maybe a bunk pheno. They were seeds right? Bound to be one eventually. But odd both strains were like that. Potency test results would be a real teller...but not always practical for most.

Heat can degrade thc and co2 can help with higher heat...but I've grown serious dank in some extreme heat.

Did you use the UVB's?

Each led is different...spectrums, outputs, spread. But I have use a quite a few variations and brands over the years and never had an issue with potency. I do run almost all proven/known clones, not too many beans cause I don't have space and time to hunt a lot.

Did they grow to your expectations? Did they look just like they would under hps, like size, shape, density? Not worried so much about health.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
They didn't seem to bush out or stretch as much as usual. Finished sooner than expected. But I saw numerous amber trichs. The potency itself is not so bad but high doesn't last long.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

"Finished sooner than expected. But I saw numerous amber trichs. The potency itself is not so bad but high doesn't last long."

I note that they include T8 kine UV sources in that model.
That can prematurely darken trichs and get you to harvest too early.
Which would give a short lasting high.
As an experiment I'd do another run and let her go to full term, yah?

Just a thought, I could be wrong.

Aloha,
Weezard

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Thanks! You are referring to the uv tubes right?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

In fact, I am.

I did some experiments with UV a while back.
Grew WW under leds with no UV.
Took a series of macro photos as they matured.
full

Then pulled the filter from a rockhounding light to pass sufficient UV and applied it at varying strengths through distancing.
Put some of them in our noonday sun and took a series of macrophotos to track ambering speed.
full

Show that percentage of amber trichs is just a general guide to maturity and it most accurate when cannabis is flowered outdoors.

I have taken to snipping and drying lower buds to check maturity now.

Jus' 2 unsolicited pennies.
Aloha,
Weeze

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

It's the lights you purchased instead of making your own lights like I do. It's really easy stop being fooled. This is my new light it costed me around $760 to make and it draws 422 watts from the wall and can be dimmed to 175 watts. Cree CXB 3590 3500k CD bin Meanwell HLG-185H-C700A drivers with 100mm 80 lenses

SAM 0879

SAM 0877

G

gonnagro

I have done several grows with CLW SS400's. There products are top notch! Only complaint I have is they run a tad hot for a LED, (not as hot as my Spectrun King), and they blow out the UV bulbs too soon. Those bulbs last about 3 grows and they're toast.

P.S. I only run the UV's about three weeks on each grow.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Yea I really like my solar flare. The buds were large and covered in trichs and nice and dense. I just didn't know about the uv turning the trichs early. It does run a lot warmer than I anticipated though.

Nineandfive

Nineandfive

I have done several grows with CLW SS400's. There products are top notch! Only complaint I have is they run a tad hot for a LED, (not as hot as my Spectrun King), and they blow out the UV bulbs too soon. Those bulbs last about 3 grows and they're toast.

P.S. I only run the UV's about three weeks on each grow.
Really... my 440 and 400 I've had for 2.5 years and only 1 uv went on me so far

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Really... my 440 and 400 I've had for 2.5 years and only 1 uv went on me so far

Been rockin' my homebrewed leds for about 7 years now.
Smoke test

Only 56 Watts with an adjustable blue but she grows 2' plants.
I use a lensed array to grow them taller.
And the 160W. array below with an adjustable ratio, for flowering .

Stacked

Zero UV, but killer buds. :)
Aloha,
Weeze

Top Bottom