Fair compensation?

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

I've been reading a buncha of yer words/thoughts on "oil"....but really never came across the exact info I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask for opinions/experience on a few questions. My oil experience is with 1/2 lb or smaller runs and shootin cans through tubes....so involving anyone else or talking about compensation for services rendered is a different game for me altogether. Might as well ask the experts, huh? :D Please forgive if any of this is redundant....

Scenario:

You are providing the bud and someone else is processing it with their equipment... what % of the total take is a fair deal for both parties? (Note: from seeing it/my vague knowledge of these machines, I believe this is a large Tasi/Tasi knockoff using butane/propane mix and a recycler/etc.)

Using mostly whole bud (80% with the rest trim/larf))....what end product would you shoot for? (I was told you could make oil, shatter, or wax with this unit.)

Is dried/crumbled by hand the best way to prep the ganja?

For Tip-top bud...what kinda yield (%) would be easily doable?

Any other tips/tricks are appreciated. I just want to be prepared for negotiations so I can make a decision or not if the amount of end product minus the compensation needed... will make it worthwhile compared to running my bubblebags and going it solo/taking what I can get from that process.

thanks! s h

Amber

Amber

I know personally that depending on your location, you even with a valid recommendation can be charged manufacturing. Same as if you had meth lab. Not with bubble though. Has to do with the solvent (butane). You should figure that into your worthwhile calculations.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I used to extract for half the yield, but half the yield of poor quality contaminated starting material is still shit. I have to know the life history of the plant and trust the grower, to want to use anyone elses oil myself, much less donate it to patients with compromised or challenged immune systems.

I no longer extract for other than very close friends, due to lack of time, but Specialized Formulations does it for hire and charge $100 a 150 gram column, which includes preparing the material before extraction, as well as winterizing and formulating it afterwards. They negotiate lower prices for patients that prep their material up front and take the oleoresin raw, but I don't have a handle on what those might be.

You might consider contacting them at Specializedformulations.com and requesting a quote. That could give you the answers you seek, on how much you might charge for extraction and wouldn't waste much of their time.

Consider that they are in Oregon, where you can charge for services, but not for any actual cannabis material itself, so they extract a customers material and give it back, along with the extracted and formulated oil. Check your local laws and rules, which may be different than Oregon.

sky high

sky high

I opted to go it alone and am rippin through this trim ala my bubblebags. In the end I decided I didn't wanna be hauling pounds around town and figured it'd be a wash on yield if I had to turn around and give away 1/2 of the final product.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Half the yield...50% of total finished product....or $5 or so bucks a gram works ok

Makin oil (qwiso) or Bubble, I take half...makin BHO, I take half plus you buy the cans of Vector

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Good way to go Sky.
Bubble is awesome stuff..and you know its clean..
Its a lot of work though...too much work for me....lol..
Hopefully, Someday, someone, will make Home version Co2 extractors for the masses..
Graywolf? ;)

K

kuz

Did you see Outwest's post on using dry ice? I'd seen it on youtube but the picture he posted looked awesome so I tried it. Worked great, gonna make another batch soon. Easy to handle too. I dry trim so I never tried to make bubble.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

bubble seems to have disappeared after the tane fad. After almost catching a kitchen on fire Im good lol. I love watching that shit melt too.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Did you see Outwest's post on using dry ice? I'd seen it on youtube but the picture he posted looked awesome so I tried it. Worked great, gonna make another batch soon. Easy to handle too. I dry trim so I never tried to make bubble.
Dats Super Easy Keif ;)
Bubbakeif

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
:D
I used some Killer, Top Shelf, Fat, golfball, Bubba Kush Buds to make that for my wife to eat,
at bed time.:) Mix it with a little Coconut oil, warm it for a while to activate and cap it up.
It works well for her :)

chromedoggy

chromedoggy

I don't know what other people are doing, but I have had great luck with a couple of guys that came to our place, used our trim and equipment, but bought their own dry ice and butane, and we are splitting it 50/50. Everyone seems happy with this so far.

squiggly

squiggly

From my perspective, I'm just left asking would someone really give up 50% of their yield for such a simple process?

I don't mean that in bogus way at all. If it was me I'd go more like 80/20 or something along those lines.

Just surprises me that 50/50 would even be close to on the table. Oh well, job market looks good for a chemist if that is the case--I can do waaaay cooler shit than extract stuff. Extract stuff is like the thing you do before you do anything, it almost doesn't qualify as work in my field :)

Graywolf

Graywolf

From my perspective, I'm just left asking would someone really give up 50% of their yield for such a simple process?

I don't mean that in bogus way at all. If it was me I'd go more like 80/20 or something along those lines.

Just surprises me that 50/50 would even be close to on the table. Oh well, job market looks good for a chemist if that is the case--I can do waaaay cooler shit than extract stuff. Extract stuff is like the thing you do before you do anything, it almost doesn't qualify as work in my field :)

A valid point and the answer is probably that those folks don't view quality extraction as simply as you do bro, and they know how to produce prodigous quantities of starting material.

The flip side of the same coin is that a good grower may not believe their good fortune that you are willing to settle for just half, because they have so much and have already taken their profit from the manicured buds.

The trim piles up and technically has zero worth as anything but compost, unless you can extact the goodness from it.

Much of what they want extracted is trim, and the alternatives like kifing or bubble hashing to remove the resin, yield only about half before they start degrading in quality, so solvent extraction is a way for them to double their yield.

There are also some terror transactions, where it is a patients first successful grow and they are petrified that they will screw up and waste any of the very last drops of goodness from their first harvest, if they try to learn to extract using them. Half of something wonderful is better than all of something that is not, or none of anything, because of unhappy events.

Lastly, I'm guessing that some of the answer may lie in comfort zone. Most of us know how to change our oil and filter, but how many of us do? It is easier to pay someone to do what we find uncomfortable, and concentrate our time and juices on what we find enjoyable and most productive.

Usually we are very good at the things we find most enjoyable, which is a chicken and egg thing, in that we get good at what excites our interest and we practice most.

At any rate, I've never found it any problem finding someone willing to trade half for extraction, so something is going on there?

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

im finding here in the bay area the standard is 50/50. you provide the product and get half of the pull. you can then buy back the other half at 20$ per gram. mind you this product goes for 50 - 70$ and the club will pay 30 - 35 per gram. the "blaster" will provide all tane, equipment and work area for their half.

i personally would like it more at 60 / 40 , especially on nug runs. on trim runs 50 / 50 is ideal and i have no problem with that.

chromedoggy

chromedoggy

Yep, that's about the skinny, I have so many other things I'd rather be doing, and these kids that are helping us love what they're doing...anything is better when done with love. It's a fir deal for me, and I thank Cheese for those $ amounts, I was wondering what to do with my shizzle now...definitely a learning process.

Top Bottom