Fall 2011 Tent Grow - 1000Watt HPS/MH Soil & Hydro

• Thread starter kicker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Producer

Yes, thank you, I know what carbon filters are.
What I was saying is that they also have a CFM (Cubic Feet/Minute) value.
I have 3 carbon filters. I know what they're for.
But they're not simply just for removing smell, yes primarily thats what everyones uses them for, but they're amazing for venting out a room. That goes for smell AND HOT AIR!
Which you said was a problem in your tent. So yes although you might not have any smell yet, you could very well still plug it in to vent out your area and keep your temps down.

K

kicker

Yes, thank you, I know what carbon filters are.
What I was saying is that they also have a CFM (Cubic Feet/Minute) value.
I have 3 carbon filters. I know what they're for.
But they're not simply just for removing smell, yes primarily thats what everyones uses them for, but they're amazing for venting out a room. That goes for smell AND HOT AIR!
Which you said was a problem in your tent. So yes although you might not have any smell yet, you could very well still plug it in to vent out your area and keep your temps down.

I tend to be critical sometimes due to my OCD so please mind my comments.

Only Fans have a cubic feet per minute rating. A carbon filter if anything will reduce the cubic feet per minute since the air flow is going through the filter.

You have to remember, the filter adds drag to the lines therefore would decrease the CFM.

I will hang it up to see if it makes a difference then.:pimp:

P

Producer

lol alright man.

Note in the description where it says "The 4" High Output vortex fan at 172 cfm will effectively exhaust up to 1000 watts of lights."
And I believe you said you had a 6" so thats even more CFM.
Keep in mind that the CFM rated is already taken into account of the filter.
What it says, is what you get.

K

kicker

lol alright man.

Note in the description where it says "The 4" High Output vortex fan at 172 cfm will effectively exhaust up to 1000 watts of lights."
And I believe you said you had a 6" so thats even more CFM.
Keep in mind that the CFM rated is already taken into account of the filter.
What it says, is what you get.

Exactly, I just wanted to point out that the filter itself will not increase the airflow (AKA CFM).

Im off to the hydro store for a high powered fan tomorrow.

K

kicker

Another update: Switched back to the CFLs until I get the vortex fan.

All 4 plants are getting bigger and the new growth looks nice. I found out today that the tent has passive vents at the bottom. Im finding out new things everyday. :icon_animal26:

IMG 1204
IMG 1205
IMG 1206
IMG 1207
IMG 1208
IMG 1209
IMG 1210
IMG 1211
IMG 1212
IMG 1213
IMG 1214
K

kicker

So after swapping back to CFLs, the temps went to 95.

Removed the booster fan and installed the high output fan, temps are 90-91.

Im thinking about switching back to the MH and see if it runs cooler then the cfls. :sign0065:

P

Producer

What!? How does that make sense?!
Cfl's hardly put out any heat!
MH's put out way more.....
I dont understand...

K

kicker

Because the CFLs are not being cooled, they release heat inside the tent.

The MH is hooked up to the heat exhaust, after making my hole in the attic from 2" to 5-6" my air flow has tripled and my temps are down to 89 so far and still going down.

I think some of my plants are showing sex already!!!? I circled it in orange

IMG 1216
IMG 1230
IMG 1231
IMG 1232
IMG 1236
IMG 1238
OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Hey Kicker, just following your thread. Nice little plants. Just a thought. If you have passive vents at the bottom you should get some fans and place them at the passive vent areas and position the fans upward. That would get the passive air in from the bottom to cool the top. What is the ambient temp around your tent? Also your reflector is pretty cool, can't you use your ducting on the thing too? Just sayin:bong-hits:

K

kicker

Hey Kicker, just following your thread. Nice little plants. Just a thought. If you have passive vents at the bottom you should get some fans and place them at the passive vent areas and position the fans upward. That would get the passive air in from the bottom to cool the top. What is the ambient temp around your tent? Also your reflector is pretty cool, can't you use your ducting on the thing too? Just sayin:bong-hits:

Hey OctoberDee, thanks for the advice.

I just moved my large white oscillating fan to the bottom, along with a 5" inch mini fan pointed at the reflector so the heat is dispersed to the top.

Another 5" Fan is connected to 4" Ducting and sucking hot air up to the top of the tent.

The tent is crammed inside of a closet, so the passive vents are all next to walls however they still pull in some air. The ambient temp in the room reads 78.8F.

K

kicker

Update. As always ;)

Got my temps down quite a bit, plants are looking love-a-ly. Day 20 finishes with the below pics.

IMG 1245
IMG 1247
IMG 1248
IMG 1249
IMG 1250
IMG 1251
T

theTinker

awh as soon as i got to the end page with a heat suggestion. It seems its solved! lol

Ill add it anyways incase another is helped by it. Humidity in my non sealed room plays an important part of temperature control. Based on the same principle as swamp coolers.
for every 4-6% incease in RH in my room, I get a 1C drop in temperature. When my seedlings first start out, my room is at 30C, by the time they finish thier veg time, Its 25C just be thier preciptation and thier ability to obviously absorb more light/radiant heat. Your room should get cooler as things progress.

Top Bottom