Fan And Variac Stopped Working

• Thread starter ilikebigbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ilikebigbuds

Hi guys wonder if someone can help me get to the bottom of this. Oh I set up my 8" rvk a1 run through a fantronix str-1 which is a variac 5 step transformer. It worked perfect for an unknown period of time maybe half an hour or up to 3 hours, I've no idea then when I went up to check on them the fan was off. I then proceeded to take out the old extension lead thinking the fuse in this had blown but it hadn't, I then scratched my head and 30mins later plugged extension lead back in and voila it went back on? What has caused it to stop working? May it have overheated? My fan is sealed in a cardboard box with thick dense foam inside to pack it up. I doubt it has overheated cause of this as I've seen people have them sealed tight in boxes fabricated with mdf and sealed tight. It's now been back on for 10 mins I'll keep an eye on it. Anyone have any ideas in the meantime? Thanks

GrowzNCali

GrowzNCali

Hi guys wonder if someone can help me get to the bottom of this. Oh I set up my 8" rvk a1 run through a fantronix str-1 which is a variac 5 step transformer. It worked perfect for an unknown period of time maybe half an hour or up to 3 hours, I've no idea then when I went up to check on them the fan was off. I then proceeded to take out the old extension lead thinking the fuse in this had blown but it hadn't, I then scratched my head and 30mins later plugged extension lead back in and voila it went back on? What has caused it to stop working? May it have overheated? My fan is sealed in a cardboard box with thick dense foam inside to pack it up. I doubt it has overheated cause of this as I've seen people have them sealed tight in boxes fabricated with mdf and sealed tight. It's now been back on for 10 mins I'll keep an eye on it. Anyone have any ideas in the meantime? Thanks

Do you have a pic to help us better understand your setup? I'm having a hard time picturing a fan running packed up tight in a box without it overheating. Would love to help with some ideas but not sure. /shrug

Dunge

Dunge

A variac is able to provide a range of voltages.
This is a VERY BAD way to run a motor.
It looks like it is working, but its mode of action causes motor failure.
Motors need full voltages, with speed adjusted by pulse frequency control.
What a variac does is choke off the motor by offering low voltage, crippling the motor.

GrowzNCali

GrowzNCali

A variac is able to provide a range of voltages.
This is a VERY BAD way to run a motor.
It looks like it is working, but its mode of action causes motor failure.
Motors need full voltages, with speed adjusted by pulse frequency control.
What a variac does is choke off the motor by offering low voltage, crippling the motor.

Very helpful info. I had no idea about how a variac worked, but understanding the mechanics as you've explained it, it makes sense why the OP is having this problem.

Freshone

Freshone

Try a hyperfan,they come with speed controllers,are quieter and move more air.
Variacs are old school,large,and costly in many ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom