Fan leaf edges yellowing, tips scarlet and brown

• Thread starter shibafarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

rolandrog

Hi this is my first post here and I'll try to be as thorough as possible because I'm unsure of what the problem may be. These 2 photo plants are the same age, different strains. They each have a 3 gallon fabric pot that I feed once a week with 1 gallon of fertilized pH balanced water. The composition is Fox Farm nutrients of 2 tsp Tiger Bloom, 2 tsp Liquid Plant Bloom, balanced to roughly pH 6. They've gotten this feed composition for about 1 month since February 12th. Feeding is incremental, I don't dump half a gallon in the pot and hope. Light schedule is 12/12 and similarly started February 12th. No signs of bugs of any kind that I can see. Temperatures fluctuate from roughly 69-72F during the day with a humidity level of 45-50% and drop to 60-64F with a humidity level of 55-60% during the night.

The leaves on one plant have almost all shown signs of yellowing around the edges with either purplish-red and/or brown burnt tips. Very few have developed tiny brown specs near the tips. See below.
View attachment 1226618

The other plant hasn't shown any of these indicators until this week, which is what brings me here. Clearly I must be doing something wrong if both are exhibiting the same signs. What could this mean? How can I avoid and remedy the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
View attachment 1226620
Like someone suggested, I would raise the pH of the feed water to 6.8. Measure the reading of the run-off pH and ppm. If the ppm is under 1,500 ppm, it is ok (2000 ppm is high limit). Normal nutrient feed should be less than 1,000 ppm. My routine feed ppm is around 400-800 ppm, including supplements and tap water.
At pH=6, Calcium, Magnesium, and Phosphorus are not readily absorbed from the soil.

S

shibafarmer

You're welcome. I hope it helps. Looks like you're going to get a yield from your first grow. Congratulations! Here's something to consider for your next run. Growing in soil, cannabis craves dry days between waterings, so all its roots get plenty of air. You might be surprised how much water is still in your pots when you're watering. Gouging around with your finger gives you an idea of how wet your soil is as far as your finger reaches. But gravity pulls water to the bottom of your pots, so the bottom of your root ball will be wet longer than the top. The only way to reliably know how much water is still in your pot is by weight. Some people use a scale. A lot of people do it by feel. Others wait to water until they see a touch of droop in the lower leaves, and then water a day earlier next time. When you chop this current grow, check your root ball to see if your roots are healthy, meaning white and fuzzy with root hairs. If not, consider watering by weight.
This is a great point I didn't take into consideration- the fact that they're (most likely) root bound and retain most water where I can't reach. A scale would probably be the safest option... Now I'm really curious to see what the bottom looks like.

S

shibafarmer

Like someone suggested, I would raise the pH of the feed water to 6.8. Measure the reading of the run-off pH and ppm. If the ppm is under 1,500 ppm, it is ok (2000 ppm is high limit). Normal nutrient feed should be less than 1,000 ppm. My routine feed ppm is around 400-800 ppm, including supplements and tap water.
At pH=6, Calcium, Magnesium, and Phosphorus are not readily absorbed from the soil.
I appreciate the detailed response, exact clarification is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

D

Dugplug

Hmm... Alright, what fert composition do you suggest I use at this point? Or should I try just normal watering? Before anything else, though, I'll flush them. Haven't flushed since changing their pots around the start of veg BUT every time I feed them a good amount of runoff flows through so I told myself it wasn't necessary. Maybe that might be a factor as well...
Yes flushing is a good idea you want to clean your soil

Oldman13

Oldman13

Hi this is my first post here and I'll try to be as thorough as possible because I'm unsure of what the problem may be. These 2 photo plants are the same age, different strains. They each have a 3 gallon fabric pot that I feed once a week with 1 gallon of fertilized pH balanced water. The composition is Fox Farm nutrients of 2 tsp Tiger Bloom, 2 tsp Liquid Plant Bloom, balanced to roughly pH 6. They've gotten this feed composition for about 1 month since February 12th. Feeding is incremental, I don't dump half a gallon in the pot and hope. Light schedule is 12/12 and similarly started February 12th. No signs of bugs of any kind that I can see. Temperatures fluctuate from roughly 69-72F during the day with a humidity level of 45-50% and drop to 60-64F with a humidity level of 55-60% during the night.

The leaves on one plant have almost all shown signs of yellowing around the edges with either purplish-red and/or brown burnt tips. Very few have developed tiny brown specs near the tips. See below.
View attachment 1226618

The other plant hasn't shown any of these indicators until this week, which is what brings me here. Clearly I must be doing something wrong if both are exhibiting the same signs. What could this mean? How can I avoid and remedy the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
View attachment 1226620

Oldman13

Oldman13

I maybe old and feeble and reading things that aren't really there? b but ut did you say you're using grow bags? by looking at the insert just above here I can't really tell what your ladies are growing in? Well if you are using grow bags you can't be root bound because when using grobag your roots get a i r pruned! I used grow bags in not too long ago I thought the same , that I must be root bound but I don't understand because I found out that you cannot get rootbound in grow bags I guess it's a grow bags are made out of plastic that might be different black cloth grow bags a i r prune your roots. I'm not saying that you're a plant can't get too big for a small grow bag but not rootbound! Now have you actually look under your plant? Why don't you take a peek under her be prepared to be scared out of your wits or maybe not! Looks like these cultivators you've been speaking to I've giving you some pretty good information although a considerable amount of multiple intros LOL if you can decipher what they said I should have one or more will be right! As for your watering methods fabric bags automatically dry faster than a potted plant because the abundance of are they get and for a long time I was over watering my plants until I got one of these but since, now generally lifting my young ladies up and bouncing them on my knee does tell you quite a bit about you watery attributes! Sometimes I'm amazed at how Featherlite they actually get it's such a short amount of time even to the point of I look in my room and say oh my God and I run and grab some water I use RO water so there's absolutely no nutrients in it but when all the leaves are hanging down and she's looking half dead you're going all my God oh my God but watching them transpire is amazing. Watching them go from a dead looking plant, to a brilliant Lively woman it's awesome! And having your plants almost die from lack of water is much better than drowning them! Actually I've never had one die from lack of water but I have had a few drown to death and it's not a pretty sight! But once again don't forget your look under your plants in that Reservoir and don't just a glance, look closely.... at least four of those are purple kush plants

0317222049 Film4
0317222048 Film4
Oldman13

Oldman13

LOL wow I had to go and check to make sure I wasn't talking to somebody that posted 5 or 6 years ago LOL

S

shibafarmer

Alright I've gotten tools to measure my soil pH as well as runoff pH and ppm. This is what I found for each plant:

Plant A: (The first image with many yellow leaves) Has a soil pH level somewhere halfway between 7-8. The runoff from this plant read 6.27 pH and 590 ppm.
Plant B: (The second image) Has a soil pH level somewhere halfway between 7.8. The runoff from this plant read 6.18 pH and 755 ppm.

For some more detailed info, they were both fed normally 2 days ago. It was too soon for a flush but I did so anyway to get readings. The flush was 6.4 pH normal water, little over half a gallon for each pot.

Based on this I can only assume soil pH is slightly high and needs to be reduced some. Is that an accurate assumption? Or are there other factors at play here? Any help is greatly appreciated!

S

shibafarmer

Alright I've gotten tools to measure my soil pH as well as runoff pH and ppm. This is what I found for each plant:

Plant A: (The first image with many yellow leaves) Has a soil pH level somewhere halfway between 7-8. The runoff from this plant read 6.27 pH and 590 ppm.
Plant B: (The second image) Has a soil pH level somewhere halfway between 7.8. The runoff from this plant read 6.18 pH and 755 ppm.

For some more detailed info, they were both fed normally 2 days ago. It was too soon for a flush but I did so anyway to get readings. The flush was 6.4 pH normal water, little over half a gallon for each pot.

Based on this I can only assume soil pH is slightly high and needs to be reduced some. Is that an accurate assumption? Or are there other factors at play here? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Both soil pH is identical, that 7.8 is a typo. Sorry. Ranges 7-8. The probe I purchased does not show exact readings.

Oldman13

Oldman13

Hey. Siba, how you doing? I'm pretty sure you're run off water should be much lower than that it's soil numbers. But to be honest on this one I'm not one to be checking that constantly because if I did I'd be constantly trying to fix something that might not have to fixed like I would be constantly thinking it should and those are the three C's I guess constantly constantly and constantly.! Also I want was never one to be constantly checking my soil and now we have four c's oh, that is until I had what I thought was a soil neglect problem and turned out after lots and lots of checking numbers I actually had a bug problem! I wish it would have been a soil neglect problem because of a problem far far far far worse than soil numbers could ever be I think! Yes it was a very miserable and long road to hoe! I decided to check my pH in the two plans just put into my bud room I decided yesterday to check my soil after reading all of what you were saying and it turns out I'm about 6.8 on a larger and 6.6 on the smaller one but I know darn well if I would have checked it a month ago or two weeks ago I would have been saying hold on that's not right I must fix it then a week later saying. Not again ! I would be saying I must help that poorly maintained soil! And then a week later it's wrong I have to fix it oh, so on and so forth! Please don't take what I'm saying wrong check your soil and run off as much as you want don't forget to look for bugs! Are out there that I'm buying the runoffs for checking the water cuz I know what I'm going to be in for if I do! But for two I have not checked the soil on as of yet up until now I say that my my reading AR pretty good but a while back because my the soil readings where so low I'm talkin 5.0 5.5 might as well have been hydroponic I bought some of that pH Up, I was looking for a fast rise and BH due to my lesbian in a Bud room already with a 5.0 I found out that take a whole lot more ph up you think to raise pH levels probably not a good idea when you only have 2/ 4 weeks left before Harvest I did find it you can do it almost overnight with a very small amount I think of baking soda a whole lot less of pH Up liquid I'll try to return I have to go right now just all the saying was sometimes your concerns may not be what you think they are!... And I would never tell you not to listen to people here because a lot of them have lots of excellent experience in cultivation. I call it cultivation because you don't really grow your plants they've been doing that themselves for the last million years or more umm... So you're actually cultivating kind of like no matter how much they act like it people are not growing there children they are nourishing them with the proper ingredients for them to grow LOL Anyway I will never be a master cultivator as long as I'm married. Edit my age I stopped being married today I don't think I would have time to become a Master cultivator so take everything I say with a grain of salt but I did find out that device West Virginia like I did in the beginning everything pristine and perfect I don't think I would have time for anything else I barely have time now anything else LOL I listen to these people are quite bright at what they do even if answers which I happen to find in a lot of places do not always correspond with each other at times you may even find one trying to correct another when in reality everybody's little bit different in each other a and what works for one may not work for another very...

Oldman13

Oldman13

As for typos yes I do have a number of them in this particular long sentence I didn't think I had any until I got to lesbian section😸 and it's supposed to say I was looking for a fast-rising pH solution for a plant that was already in the bedroom...

Oldman13

Oldman13

😬Okay now you know why I was thinking about changing my name to typo. Bud room not bedroom🚶

Oldman13

Oldman13

Also you might find depending on how wet your soil was when you took the readings, or how long it was after you wet spoil before you took them how much actual soil is in your grow pot or bag – – – the reading you take may be different every time you take them... That makes me think of – –🎤 You Can't Always Get What You Want 🎶Ooh You Can't Always Get whatcha want 🎵🎤 . But if you try sometime you might just find. You get whatcha neeeed – –

Oldman13

Oldman13

In the beginning there was Darkness and then , as my eyelids 🥴 lifted the darkness went away and then I realized I left the (H) out I apologize,, " Shiba"

Latest posts

Top Bottom