Fan leaves in the way!

• Thread starter LA Woman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LA Woman

I am a new grower as most know but, I have to admit as far as what I see now goes sway is correct. The ak47 i told you about is getting weirdly sticky and hard.

Moxi

Moxi

What is too much cutting? I'm going into flower and there are a few fan leaves that will block light to lower branches. My concern would be stressing it to much and loosing Bloom, i suppose it is a catch 22 situation.

L

LA Woman

give your BUDS light...your colas will thank you :)

I am about to trim some more. I don't think I 'm going to trim my super lemon haze though because it isnt really leafy only a few. Wish me luck. Meagan

another_sellout

another_sellout

I'm really surprised that no one has suggested just adding a light mover to your room. If your worried about shadows, just move your light! That's how the sun hits the lower branches outside, so let nature direct your actions inside. She has the answers. As for my own testimony, I've yielded 5 pounds on 25 plants in a 10x10 area with only 2 1000w bulbs on six foot light movers. Never touched a fan leaf, did better than a gram a watt. Just an idea...

C

chickenn

trim the bottom 1/3 of the plant before putting in flower, and drop the light down tight, and grow the tops.

forget all that popcorn down below. put the energy into the tops, and you will get a hella harvest.

S

Sway

I'm really surprised that no one has suggested just adding a light mover to your room. If your worried about shadows, just move your light! That's how the sun hits the lower branches outside, so let nature direct your actions inside. She has the answers. As for my own testimony, I've yielded 5 pounds on 25 plants in a 10x10 area with only 2 1000w bulbs on six foot light movers. Never touched a fan leaf, did better than a gram a watt. Just an idea...

a light mover does absolutely nothing for getting to hidden buds that leaves are covering. removing the leaf is the only answer. and what if your running a SOG? a light mover wouldnt penetrate any better there either. no one has mentioned a light mover because most growers who try them throw them out after a few runs and add another light because its a waste.

not to mention light movers only work where space permits. and with air cooling lights, they can be a real pain in the ass. you dont get nice hard phat nugs with a light mover as compared to a room with adequate lighting for the space. light movers are a cheap poor mans option, and results are always disappointing with them.

if you would have had more light instead of a light mover in your 10x10 you would have had a lot more of a yield for that big of a space. and some of us out there only want tops and nice hard buds, not a ton of lower crap that doesnt develop and all u can do is make crappy hash out of. sure u can cut tops off and leave the rest to develop longer, but why bother?!

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

Sway - well said bro, I have bounced back and forth on this issue and I have to go with trimming fan leaves, I didn't do so early in flower, so I did yesterday and I can already see the difference, if any of you have a minute check out the pics for yourself

L

LA Woman

I trimmed quite a bit more today. I gave my la woman a serious hair cut lol. And my short pheno ak47 is almost bare.

L

Lost

Yeaaaaaa!!!

Nothing like a nicely trimmed bush I say!!!!

:scared0016:

:banana1sv6:

JH420

JH420

I recently removed a bunch of big fan leaves from my bubbas and the lower nugs are really apreciating getting some light, for sure. Them lower nugs weren't lookin very promising but this thread helped me realize I needed to get some light to them, glad I came across this...thanks :smiley_joint:

L

LA Woman

Hey thats great^^ Post back and keep us informed. OK. Meagan

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Yup, I have been convinced too. Just went in there and did a bunch of trimming. Great thread.

JB

L

LA Woman

I wonder why more people don't trim fan leaves away? If its about a sugar problem wouldn't molasses feeding take care of that? Plus like sway said they still alot more leaves and the purpose is growing is not to grow leaves but to grow buds. Its working for me. The plants I left alone have noticably smaller lower buds, and even main colas. Meagan :)

L

Lost

I wonder why more people don't trim fan leaves away? If its about a sugar problem wouldn't molasses feeding take care of that? Plus like sway said they still alot more leaves and the purpose is growing is not to grow leaves but to grow buds. Its working for me. The plants I left alone have noticably smaller lower buds, and even main colas. Meagan :)

Here is my take on it and its worth what you paid for it.

Fan leaves are critical to a fast growing plant. They are the solar panels of the plant, and they also store sugars and nutrients. I feel you need to leave the fans on untill weeks 5 or 6 of flower. Before that, you are removing energy from the plant. In the last 2 weeks, that is fine. The buds are finishing up and they need the direct light to get as good as possible. Before week 5 or so, you are taking away energy that would be put into make more and bigger budsites. The plant is no longer growing is size, just the bud size is..

Using this logic you could also say, then why not remove then at week 3.5 when the stretch is over? Because the formation of buds themselvs takes alot of energys and sugars. Once this is done and is mostly a bulk from resin production and buds filling out. cut the fans, hell, most of them should be yellowing anyway.

M

mrdizzle

I think sway hit it on the head, they read it in jorge cervantes , and they have never done it due to fear, personally i fear larf

L

LA Woman

Well heres my take on it. I'm a first time grower and although I've read and talked with people for countless hours I had NO first hand growing knowledge. So knowing going in that I only had "thread" and "second hand" learning, I was willing to start experimenting right off the bat. I mean why not? What better way to learn.

I started trimming at week 3 and I can honestly tell you that the plants I took leaves from not only look bigger and more vigorous but they also are stickier. The only plants I haven't removed leaves are my lemon skunk and my super lemon hazes. The leaves aren't affecting those plants because they are so fine as in not heavy.

That being said the only reason I can come up with at this part of the grow (5 weeks flower today) is the plants aren't wasting any energy on anything but bud production and the fact that my particular plants didn't stress do to the massive cuts I took. I'm not telling anyone to cut the leaves from they're plants I am only saying it is working for me. So please experiment lightly as I said I had nothing to lose on my first grow. Meagan

Latest posts

Top Bottom