Fan leaves in the way!

• Thread starter LA Woman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lost

Meagan -

Is it possible that the ones you trimmed got bigger because the plant needed more "Solar panels" and so it shot out a bunch of new nodes? If so then the growth cycle was altered ( a bad thing imo), making the plant stretch or get bushier. It basically said, " Holy shit, im low on energy and need more foilage to make up for it." Now you plant is in an energy deficit when it should be finishing up the stretch and putting all that energy into bud sited and budsite growth. My guess is that the plants you trimmed will have the same size nugs and finish 3-4 days later.

I could be (and probablly am) wrong! :)

L

Lost

Also, don't want to confuse trimming the bottom 1/3 of the plant entirely off in a horozontal lighting situation, with removal of all major fan leaves. :)

A

allwet

Dear L.A.Woman,
I like to think of fan leaves as little solar panels
supplying photosynthesis, having said that I will
occasionally pull a fan leaf or two if it will expose
buds to more light. I also believe it a good practice
to trim the bottom third before going into flower.
This seems to supply more energy to the top of the plants
which creates bigger buds.
Be well,
Best of luck!

J

jordisgarden

Ive been debating yanking a bunch of fans. what worries me is i know someone who plucked all the fans too early and the plant never grew.it grew 1 bud tha looed like peice of popcorn. i usually pull all the ones no lights getting to anyway. also once they start to die.

L

LA Woman

Well lost in my case thats not what happened becuse my plants didnt get a but a few inches taller max after I trimmed. Ona of the ak47 plants did however start alot of new small leaves at the main cola about a week after. It still looks good though and looks now like all the new growth is going to be a really fat cola, hopfully.

G

G.F. Greens

im with Sway, J and Dizzle on this, i've been trimming off the upper 3rd to the whole top half of fans for a long while now and have always had better results in doing so.

GFG

L

LA Woman

I have to say that I'm amazed at the amount of growers that are coming out in favor of trimming off fan leaves. I thought I was going to be run out and told to go to rollitup. LOL Meagan :)

M

Mr.LovaLova

I don't know why I am so left brained, but exactly on day 21 of flowering i always trim out all the scraggly undergrowth and the big fan leaves. That's pretty much all the pruning I do unless there is a gigantic fan blocking a bud site, but am interested in conclusion of the side by side comparison.

L

LA Woman

Hey Lova I will def. keep you posted. How was peep show? Meagan

R

rockil

hello new to this site but not to growing maybe i missed it but i dont remember anyone sugesting to train your plant by pulling down the top this will allow alot of light to get to the lower branches with out having to cut any fan leaves, and i always cut fan leaves along with lst my girls good luck with your grow you will do just fine its fun to do no matter how you do it. try different ways with each grow this way you know what works for you
enjoy
Rockil

L

LA Woman

Hey rockil. Well I can't lst because I'm already using the whole footprint of my 1000 hps. Also if I'm growing super lemon haze so if I lst even one of them they are so thin and branchy I would have to take out at least 2 others to make room for the horizontal growth. Meagan

M

MASSES 420KING

Hey guys. I have looked around and found some info. here but not really exactly to my situation. Here are the facts of my grow.....
1.1000 watt hps air cooled with carbon filter
2.9 girls total as follows 3 nice bagseed(I believe AK47), 4 Super Lemon Haze, 1 Lemon Skunk and 1 LA woman...my favorite ofcourse.
3.Soil grow Fafard soil
4.Medina nutes
5.Veg for 30 days
6.Flowering for 23 days
Now to my problem. These babies are outgrowing 6x6 already. Space isn't an issue as my room is 12x12. The fan leaves are blocking a ton of light to all the lower buds. If I just let the girls have more space I obviously lose lumens. So what should I do? Should I start thinning out the fan leaves to allow some more of that wonderful light to penetrate my buds......or do I just leave them alone and what I get is what get? First time growing so Please let me know what you guys do. I'm not a helpless girl, but I do need help from the guys from time to time. Meagan ;)

yup thin out the sun/shade leaves theyll fill in quickly hows the stretch on the la im about to jump 16 clones in a week and thats one of my strains [12] very interested in how your doing please keep me informed even if u gotta pm me its all good:joint:

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
not too much stretch on the la. tiny yeilder so make sure you veg for long enough and then top and lst. one of my favorite smokes.

M

mrpurplestuff

yes remove leaves through grow peroid if the are large and in charge because thought they are needed they are also very much in the way of you harvesting mre piffyy smoke or meds my freind.. I feel taht if they were not too freaking big you would have left them alone to beginwith without wvwn seeig a pic..giving you botd

M

MASSES 420KING

i used to not take any leaves until i saw urban grower 3-4 years ago but what i do is the day after i start 12/12 is take everything off the lower 2 3rds off leaving only top 3rd and i get dense frosty nugs the whole way through and the plants still seem to full of side branches lower nug average weight is about 2grms some bigger some a lil smaller i say lollipopem all day

M

MASSES 420KING

ok guys so i sent sway a pm and he got back at me he said as a rule of thumb if the fan leaf is bigger then your hand pluck it but be careful not to over pluck remember guys and la woman we are growing buds not leaves thanks again sway for your quick responce and good luck to all

Top Bottom