Fan Leaves Removal During Flowering

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nukesrt

Nukesrt

ive heard mixed emotions about it... but some people make more sense than others. one of them stated that if you are growing indoor and constantly feeding there is no need for the larger fan leaves since point of them is to store nutes ? im new to growing and was curious if i should do so to my current grow or not.. any insight from you experienced growers would be appreciated from both sides.

Anthem

Anthem

fuck it, i will.
If you are new to growing I would not suggest doing too much defoling. The reason is this. When you defol the shit out of the plant it has no were to store excess nutrients. The people that do it successfully have the environment down and on point along with nutrients. Safest bet is to do a light defoling and get some smoke for yourself and learn along the way.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

You basically just ripped off all your solar panels for creating energy, dumped a bunch of stored nutrients into the garbage and ripped the lungs out of your plants.
fuck it.. first grow anyways, not too worried about it. there is always next batch.
You basically just ripped off all your solar panels for creating energy, dumped a bunch of stored nutrients into the garbage and ripped the lungs out of your plants.
there is also some experienced growers that state as long as they are well taken care of and watched they should be fine. which is why i said fuck it 🤷🏻‍♂️ first grow for me.. if you are right and it makes it worst, i wont do that next batch. lol

B

BroScience101

fuck it.. first grow anyways, not too worried about it. there is always next batch.

there is also some experienced growers that state as long as they are well taken care of and watched they should be fine. which is why i said fuck it 🤷🏻‍♂️ first grow for me.. if you are right and it makes it worst, i wont do that next batch. lol

"Experienced" growers used to tell me hanging your plants upside down while drying made all the thc drip down to the top colas. Lol

You quickly learn to listen to common sense and science instead of growers

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

"Experienced" growers used to tell me hanging your plants upside down while drying made all the thc drip down to the top colas. Lol

You quickly learn to listen to common sense and science instead of growers
i feel like a lot of the lower parts would have been underdeveloped under all that fan leaf canopy, this picture was taken before.. you can see the lower leaves “droopy” .. in the one taken today you can see they are starting to reach out for light which im sure will help bud development.. correct me if im wrong, im still new.

F8A7D7A3 671D 4AB8 B211 54B58DEC1BE5
43429F56 4C76 4F17 9EFD FACCF52ED349
B

BroScience101

Hey brother, whatever makes you happy. My intentions are to help you.

Let's take what you said and break it down logically. Youre saying you removed the dan leaves because the bottoms are under developed and needed more light.

Ok

So now your bottoms are getting more light, but so what? Buds don't use light. Leaves use light to create buds. So your buds are getting hit with light that's being wasted because there's almost no fan leaves left to photosynthesize that light into energy to grow better buds.

An analogy is "I'm a runner, and I know if I weigh less I can run faster, so I'm going to remove one of my lungs to shed weight"

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Hey brother, whatever makes you happy. My intentions are to help you.

Let's take what you said and break it down logically. Youre saying you removed the dan leaves because the bottoms are under developed and needed more light.

Ok

So now your bottoms are getting more light, but so what? Buds don't use light. Leaves use light to create buds. So your buds are getting hit with light that's being wasted because there's almost no fan leaves left to photosynthesize that light into energy to grow better buds.

An analogy is "I'm a runner, and I know if I weigh less I can run faster, so I'm going to remove one of my lungs to shed weight"
not arguing believe me, just want to know the best way and why. theres a lot of people on both sides but not so much thorough explanations.

a4twenty

a4twenty

you will like the results.

i know it goes against everything we thought was right but I've been defoliating for years.

i run a 4' table doing a SOG and take every single single fan leaf between week 2 and 3. i also take any growth that will not get full light exposure. yes, i mean all the little bud sights that give you those tiny little popcorn buds. basically if it's not a part of a top bud, it goes.

to be honest i was a little shocked when i joined a couple online forums and found no one talking about this method.

I'm definitely gonna follow along on this one but think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

you will like the results.

i know it goes against everything we thought was right but I've been defoliating for years.

i run a 4' table doing a SOG and take every single single fan leaf between week 2 and 3. i also take any growth that will not get full light exposure. yes, i mean all the little bud sights that give you those tiny little popcorn buds. basically if it's not a part of a top bud, it goes.

to be honest i was a little shocked when i joined a couple online forums and found no one talking about this method.

I'm definitely gonna follow along on this one but think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised.
one breeder / grower was telling me he defoliates at about 3 weeks then again at around 40 days.. i wont go as far as to do it again at 40 days but thought id allow more light to go to the lower leaves by removing the huge fan leaves. but that it is recommended for indoor grow since the environment is better controlled than outdoor

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Most of the growers I see benefiting from heavy defoliation have super full and deep canopies and they are growing in coco or hydro where the leaves grow back super fast.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
It's a "feel" thing pure and simple. And it can be very stressful at the wrong time to the wrong plant. If you're doing it just because you think you have to do it, you might be doing too much. There is no real right and wrong way about it.

After enough grows you will just instinctively reach in there and yank them out almost subconsciously.

Planning one or two huge "schwazzing" events sounds pretty stressful to all but the most vigorous plants imo. Plus, anyone realistically going for 3 a light is going to have a strong defoliating game already anyway👍

🌱

growsince79

growsince79

schwazzing weed then running it through shredders and claiming that makes your weed top shelf? All done with way overcrowded clones. Yield would be better in standard sog. I urge everyone to do there own side by side comparison.

Latest posts

Top Bottom