Feds Targeting California Pot Dispensaries; Told To Shut Down In 45 Days

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bluedog

The death knell for all the clubs is forfeiture of assets including building that are rented to clubs ( law enforcement has always liked this because it generates $$) and the IRS allowing no expenses to be deducted resulting in huge tax bills for club owners. Sadly I think the clubs are going to be thing of the past. I can't help but believe that things like the reality show on Discovery channel about Harborside Oakland has helped kick the hornets nest. Thumbing their noses at federal authority.

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

I wonder the same thing @bluedog. I did not see the show you reference but here in Sac, advertisements have been in newspapers, on the radio, adn of course the net. I mean really out there in the open like its a big party and is totally legal. Additionally, some of the news reports I have seen do not show many people who truly use this plant as an alternative medicine. They choose instead to profile the 20-30 somethings, apparently the picture of health, driving around in new cars bought with the duckets they made and bragging, flaunting what they are doing. Yeah, we should be able to - but we aren't yet. And it pissed off the feds. Some of us oldsters who witnessed first hand fed tactics in teh 60's 70's & 80's have kept low profiles out of distrust, are now saying "I told you so." Sad state of affairs. I feel we blew a golden opportunity towards full legalization due to our over zealousness.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
How come you old timers blame the youngsters for all the problems in the med scene? Just curious.....

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I agree canna its out of control here too which is unfortunate as the city has been really trying to come to grips with the situation here and try to permit them.Radio ads for dispensaries and hydro shops,signwavers in bikinis standing in the street with signs with a green cross and a pot leaf emblazened on them.We have had a rash of robberies,one dispensary owner slept in his shop to defend it and when the rippers came he opened fire with a 12 gauge shooting THROUGH his windows and into the neighboring bussinesses blowing out their windows which thank god were closed for the night.Many dispensaries are run well and professionally but to be honest just as many are run by punk ass youngsters who just dont get it,its like the wild wild west!Some of these guys are not canna-entrepreuners per se but just run of the mill dealers with a store front and unfortunately their idiotic actions take the good guys down with them.Luckily I dont frequent the dispensaries very much,like the song says ''homegrowns alright by me...''

ogplatinum

ogplatinum

How come you old timers blame the youngsters for all the problems in the med scene? Just curious.....

I'm a youngin' and I could think if millions bro.
Heres one that pisses me off and does too a lot of others.
Since when do Medical Marijuana adds have girls in them? Posing seductively telling you about their buy a 8th, get a free 8th friday special. MMJ doesn't need hard nippled spokes whores, your selling product to 80 year old woman for fucks sake.

Gimme a fuckin break.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer

Because I drive an old pickup truck and don`t flaunt my money around. Been there ,done that in the 60`s,70`s,and 80`s !

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

Not blaming at all! Reread my post. That is what the media is portraying the whole industry as in order to discredit. They are not showing a balanced picture. Peace.

Edited for typo. Sorry.

urbanfog

urbanfog

Not blaming at all! Reread my post. That is what the media is portraying the whole industry as in order to discredit. They are not showing a balanced picture. Peace.

Edited for typo. Sorry.

Agreed!

I am in the 916 area and between the commercials, radio spots and ads in the SN&R, they make it seem like its only the young crowd.

Dont get me wrong, I am under 45 and am legal here in CA and I appriciate being able to go to the "Store" when I need to. What gets me is the fact these dispensaries charge 280-350 oz, when any Craigslist ad has oz's for 75-125. Glad I am learning to grow

UF

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter

Edited for typo. Sorry.

I hate to say it, but it mostly is the younger generation ruining for everybody. I have been in the scene for 10 years now and have worked at grow shops for a few of those years.. You should see these younger club growers and owners come into the shop and just flaunt like no other. They drive away with whole pallets of promix in the back of the truck, completely UNCOVERED. Drive fuckin huge hummers and brand new lifted trucks... Completely reak like herb to no other wherever they go. There was a pickup truck parked right in front of the local grocery store a couple weeks ago. It fuckin reaked to high heaven of roadkill kunk. You could smell it halfway through the parking lot. I saw the same truck at the shop, and guess what? he was maybe 21. ALL of the old and older guys that do business at the shop are extremely low key. You would never guess in a million years they own clubs, or are club growers...

I'm only 28 so I consider myself in the younger crowd I suppose, but I am a responsible and sensible youngin. And of course there are many responsible younger people in the scene. the reality of it is though, it's the HUGE irresponsible young crowd that's fucking it up.

I am also wondering when the huge surge of surplus bud in the state from growers having no dispensary to sell to dwindles down to nothing. How many growers will get out of the game? Will the prices go back up to where they were a few years ago? Interesting times...

:character0180:

caliogk

caliogk

Premium Member
Supporter
YOU GUYS***

Things are very loose here in California, the Feds are just slapping our face right now. Who ever has their neck stuck out far or has been bending over the system is going to get whats coming to them. The Feds don't play son! Dudes using james bond cell phones with nearly 200k transactions are bound to drown if shit isn't tight. That's big time money per drop. How can an industry be non profit with stuff like that going on?

Lots of shops still open with no rhyme or reason to shut down, it's more disappointing than worrisome. Fear works, and spreads like wild fire.

That new bill or law about world drug control is laughable at most. There is WAY (again, WAY) too much money involved in this industry (Drugs) for this to happen.

Many crazy changes in our future people but all is well.... stop and smell the bacon ;)

Awesome

caliogk

caliogk

Premium Member
Supporter
I hate to say it, but it mostly is the younger generation ruining for everybody. I have been in the scene for 10 years now and have worked at grow shops for a few of those years.. You should see these younger club growers and owners come into the shop and just flaunt like no other. They drive away with whole pallets of promix in the back of the truck, completely UNCOVERED. Drive fuckin huge hummers and brand new lifted trucks... Completely reak like herb to no other wherever they go. There was a pickup truck parked right in front of the local grocery store a couple weeks ago. It fuckin reaked to high heaven of roadkill kunk. You could smell it halfway through the parking lot. I saw the same truck at the shop, and guess what? he was maybe 21. ALL of the old and older guys that do business at the shop are extremely low key. You would never guess in a million years they own clubs, or are club growers...

I'm only 28 so I consider myself in the younger crowd I suppose, but I am a responsible and sensible youngin. And of course there are many responsible younger people in the scene. the reality of it is though, it's the HUGE irresponsible young crowd that's fucking it up.

I am also wondering when the huge surge of surplus bud in the state from growers having no dispensary to sell to dwindles down to nothing. How many growers will get out of the game? Will the prices go back up to where they were a few years ago? Interesting times...

Props on this reply Surfr. I figured you were much older from your posts!

Was just having this talk with my boy last night. Through and through, if you have the dank, are consistent and treat the family/boys/circle right, all should be well. :pimp:

S

SSHZ

The federal government wants you money, your property, all your other assets and if it can't get those, then it will settle for your landlords property. All of these government agencies are about to experience serious cutbacks in funding, so they will need more forfeiture assets to make up for the shortages. Fed times sucks, especially when you consider they give little reduction in time served- everyone better take this shit seriously before it's too late. Lastly, I knew it was only a matter of time before they stepped in realized it became out of control. The government thought they could maintain their hand in it all- and now are realizing there is a lot more going on in the "business".......

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter

Props on this reply Surfr. I figured you were much older from your posts!

Was just having this talk with my boy last night. Through and through, if you have the dank, are consistent and treat the family/boys/circle right, all should be well. :pimp:

Props x2 on that Surfr and totally agree caliogk. I really keep things low key out of common sense mainly. We live in a "Me, Me, Me" world right now and you see it affect the mentality of the younger crowd in the worst way; As you so perfectly described. I'm a couple years older than you Surfr and feel like I'm part of that group too. So I feel you on the decked out hummers rolling through town skunk smoke pouring out the windows... I've seen just what you described too many times. "sigh"

The idiots will get themselves caught up in trouble and the good will persevere... You'd hope.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
All good just curious. Im not even in a med state so its same ole same ole for me. Its just something Ive heard over and over. Dont really know what yalls scene is like. Best of luck fellas.

N

northerncaliren

This will bee good for small growers. Small grows have the best pot.

Jeezer

Jeezer

Greed is what has ruined it... Club owners and growers tryin to get rich. It ruined the mmj market in many ways. From driving the prices down to dirt to federal threats.

B

bluedog

Good informative site http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2011/oct/06/obama_administrations_war_medica
"On that last item, Dale Gieringer of California NORML has pointed out that the news while bad may not be completely bad. Two paragraphs from an article today in California Watch discuss a February memorandum in which federal prosecutors in California indicate what types of businesses are "more likely" to be prosecuted. This could at least provide some guidance if not assurance to providers as to what they can probably do without ending up behind bars:

The memorandum sets thresholds that make investigations more likely to be prosecuted. Those include distributors caught with at least 200 kilograms of marijuana, including distribution near schools, playgrounds and colleges; cultivators with gardens of at least 1,000 plants that are not on federal land and at least 500 plants on federal or tribal land or where there is significant damage; and dispensaries that sell more than 200 kilograms or 1,000 plants annually."

CannaCrone

CannaCrone

The Feds held a press conference in Sac on the 7th. Here is the link to the Sac Bee newspaper article about what was said: Here are the last two paragraphs:

>>>Wagner said U.S. attorneys will be targeting major commercial operations in California - but said not every dispensary should expect a letter from the federal government.

"Our intention is not to prosecute everybody in the state," he said. "Our intention is to get people's attention in order to deter this activity."<<<

Also in the article they cite some of the abuses they are going after. Not all are by young people. :-)

Top Bottom