feeling overwhelmed with my new grow not sure what to do please help

• Thread starter sevare
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sevare

sevare

Yep that will work... you will use it a few times and it will collect dust once you learn your light. But if you ever get a new one it will be handy.
So I have a question once I get the meter I’m obviously going to end up lowering the light dial . So my question is will the plants respond badly at first that I turned the light a little lower?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I have a question once I get the meter I’m obviously going to end up lowering the light dial . So my question is will the plants respond badly at first that I turned the light a little lower?
You will increase the intensity to keep the DLI (daily light integral) basically you want to keep giving as many photons as you were to the plants in veg. Going from 18 hr to 12 hrs cuts your DLI by1/3 so the plants are absorbing less light energy and thus making less starches and other compounds if not adjusted.

Usually you find you peak light in veg just by looking at the plant response. Typically without co2 you will max out at 35-45k. So in flower you take that and increase it by 1/3.

I know sounds all nerdy, over the top and unnecessary but it's the only way I can explain it.

When you first flip light stays the same over the next week you gradually increase by 1/3.

Now lux is a measement of mostly green light but we all know par is a better measurement. But some nice ppl did conversions here to make it easy to use a cheap meter and get somewhat reliable conversions without spending 400+ on a quantum meter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Always go by plant response. This is just a tool to get ya in the ballpark. Most useful to record your settimg as you grow so you can replicate and tweak future grows.

sevare

sevare

Autocorrect is stupid.
So it doesn’t matter that I have the light maxed out? Just as long as I get the meter later today and lower it then eventually work the light back up to 100%?
when I get the meter later today I’ll measure the lux then convert it to ppfd end result will be me lowering the light then working it back up! Nah it doesn’t sound nerdy but I just gotta dumb it down for myself. I think what I wrote above pretty much sums up what I need to do today on my first day of flower right?

sevare

sevare

But my next question is if the plants will be getting less photons since I’m cutting the DLI wouldn’t just keeping at 100% ensure that the plants are getting maximum photons making up for the 1/3 loss of hours ? i hope my question makes sense! Just trying to understand what I’m reading! Because I don’t think what you said doesn’t matter I know it’s all important in the grand scheme of things :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok so adjust the light height for even spread and then adjust the power to increase or decrease intensity.

This will help explain it.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

is that something i can do right now? remove all the small leaves from the bottom up to the third node
Don't remove ALL fan leaves. Be strategic about it where the light will be effective. You still need some solar panels lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Now don't go out buying a quantum meter... let me look for better vid to explain DLI
Okay I got the lux meter and my light is at 100% and this is the reading I’m getting
Ok on the screen it probably says x10.

So that looks pretty good.

sevare

sevare

Now don't go out buying a quantum meter... let me look for better vid to explain DLI

Ok on the screen it probably says x10.

So that looks pretty good.
Okay so I’ll lower the light percentage on the dial and try to get 54k around the whole canopy by lowering the light

sevare

sevare

Since it’s way above 54k. You’re right it does say 10x on it so that means it’s Way above what I should have it

sevare

sevare

Should I plug the different lux readings I’m getting? It’s different throughout the canopy. And what spectrum should I add on the slider from the website you sent me? I can’t find what my light is

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You will get different readings for a couple of reasons.
The LEDs are not perfect and give slightly different amounts of photons from each other.
The lenses on them aren't perfect either and they diffuse light.

Is yours the 3000, 3500 or 4000?

You would use Low CRI at the number of your model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom