Feminized seeds... peoples opinions?

• Thread starter gfizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gfizzle

Hello all!
Is it true that you lose alot of a plants Characteristics from feminized seeds?

H

headband707

Personally I don't like the idea of fem seeds.or the fact that breeders are fucking with seeds and trying to keep the genetics to themselves ! Reminds me of Monsantos and we all know how that works..Let the seed be free and let everyone get a chance to try all genetics not just a select few that can afford it. Should be about spreading the love not hoarding the seeds peace out Headband707

R

RIcaregiver

Monsanto:

Yeah, I just saw a documentary on those dou**ebags !!

Disgusting !!

Peace,
Bill

R

Red Brickhouse

Fem seeds arent always fem seeds, i puchased a 5 pack of mk-ultra and only 1 was fem! Since then i have been only buying regular seeds....

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
Red Brickhouse- Have heard of lots of issues with those seeds and with that company. Would not judge all fem seeds based on those.

JB

D

Dice

I hate fem seeds. Ive ran some indoors and sum outdoors. They almost all hermd. I never thought they were as potent as regular cross. A bag of fem seeds is like a bag of clones they dont have many phenos.
In 40 days under 18/6 light you can tell the diff between a girl and a boy. So y even screw with the fem seeds.

Another thing is if every one has fem seeds were are new genetics going to come from. NOT FEM SEEDS.

H

headband707

I hate fem seeds. Ive ran some indoors and sum outdoors. They almost all hermd. I never thought they were as potent as regular cross. A bag of fem seeds is like a bag of clones they dont have many phenos.
In 40 days under 18/6 light you can tell the diff between a girl and a boy. So y even screw with the fem seeds.

Another thing is if every one has fem seeds were are new genetics going to come from. NOT FEM SEEDS.

The trick about Fem seeds is that if they stress at all they will Herm and when don't plants stress? Not to mention the fact that your screwing with nature. Leave well enough alone. If you end up with seeds in your crop all the better for you! It's only the seed companies that don't want you to have seeds in your crop ,think about it! If you end up with seeds from two different gentics it's called Hybred vigor go with that lol peace out Headband707

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

Fem seeds have their place. I certainly don't think they're good for breeding projects, but not all growers are interested in breeding. For growers and/or med users who live in states that impose felony charges based on plant count, I think fem seeds are a good option to keep numbers down. Currently, the quality seems to vary quite a bit based on methods used to create fem stock as well as the quality and stability of the parent stock. Not all strains respond well to these processes, so you'd want to do your research before choosing any particular strain. Also, it is good to remember that not all complaints waged against fem seeds are the fault of the breeder. Improper environmental factors can and do contribute to many people's beliefs about using fem stock. In the end, you're best bet is to try it yourself and make up your own mind.

-Verb

H

headband707

Fem seeds have their place. I certainly don't think they're good for breeding projects, but not all growers are interested in breeding. For growers and/or med users who live in states that impose felony charges based on plant count, I think fem seeds are a good option to keep numbers down. Currently, the quality seems to vary quite a bit based on methods used to create fem stock as well as the quality and stability of the parent stock. Not all strains respond well to these processes, so you'd want to do your research before choosing any particular strain. Also, it is good to remember that not all complaints waged against fem seeds are the fault of the breeder. Improper environmental factors can and do contribute to many people's beliefs about using fem stock. In the end, you're best bet is to try it yourself and make up your own mind.

-Verb
I actually never thought of the charges coming from Canada you don't think about the seeds being a charge. I'm talking about GHS and big seed Co. not the little guys but yes your making points that I never thought about. Peace out Headband707:sad0071:

C

curiousbud

aft - age femminization technique by soma has any one tried this. whats the success rate

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

I actually never thought of the charges coming from Canada you don't think about the seeds being a charge. I'm talking about GHS and big seed Co. not the little guys but yes your making points that I never thought about. Peace out Headband707:sad0071:

Yeah, unfortunately we still have some moronic laws here in the states. For instance, 5+ plants is considered a felony charge in my state, regardless of their gender or maturity. I certainly hear you about companies like GHS and their ilk. They could care less about good genetics, they're only interested in their own marketing and egos. I guess marijuana is like any other industry; there are going to be people in it for passion and people in it for profit. Either way, I feel confident that people will always be able to get their hands on some good seed stock. If the governments of this world can't stop us, I hesitate to think a few bad apples in the seed business can. Keep on keepin' on!

-Verb

O

oldtimer60

In New York if you have 15 females you dont go to jail, if you have 30 mixed you do

F

forehead

I have had decent luck with fem seeds from "the king".Strawberryhaze was VERY nice...even grew out a few crosses of SH that were nice but did kick out some late nanners due to light stress.Church and AMS were ok but mediocre smoke.Trying HGold now.
Fems are a good option for some folx IMO and anytime i'm in a seed shop it seems like alot of folx ask for fem seeds.Those of Us who prefer reg seeds,myself inc,still and will continue to have plenty of options.I do think fems seeds are 'missing something' as far as complexity and character to the offsping...thats the point after all.
I wouldnt advise anyone try fems from an unproven source unless they have a dialed in environment. Just my 2c.

H

headband707

"The trick about Fem seeds is that if they stress at all they will Herm "

Sorry mate this is not correct.

If you use fem beans from strains that hermi they will hermi.

If you use fem beans from strains that won't hermi then they will not hermi even if generally well abused.

Yeah that is not what we have been running into here anyways I don't what your running into there but we decided that its a bunch of bullshit and not to use them. Yes for some it works but for the amount of money they want and for the strains you have to pick out fuck it!. Even reg seeds can hermi if stressed but atleast you can breed and go with that with the fem they are just fucking with nature.Not to mention they don't seem to pull the real genetics out of the strain . Now that is just my opinion and they are like assholes everyone has one. peace out Headband707:fighting0040:

H

headband707

Just a quick foot note here . For me the best strains are very small yeilders. So fem seeds are just not the way to go for me. I would rather clone the shit out of it then have one small plant that has some of it's genetics fucked with. Peace out Headband707

H

headband707

Hey bro i did forget to say that it may be where you are getting the fem beans.

My guess is some seed co's must just use some particular generic plants that will hermi on em and produce hermi female pollen..then they call it fem seeds but those
will hermi like what was used for the pollen.

We all know that is not the way to go...and they give fem beans a bad slant.

Even indoors i go up during flower with the fluros on to do work some times.
i have not seen a hermi since i started working with fem beans a good 6 years ago.
I must obviously be using the right fem seeds.

Where we live we do not have access to many of the cool clones.
Clones of the real deals rock..but outdoors i gotta say that good fem beans
are a god send.
We don't cross em with anything we just grow them...and thats what they are for,to grow stuff for smoke.Though we clone them and every thing is fine too.
the s1 og i have is insane in a good way.
I have most of the top strains in fem seeds form
they perform just fine.

if you have em, go for the clones

This is what I found
Breeding feminized plants
By Ed Rosenthal - Tuesday, October 19 2004
Tags: Ask Ed,CC50.
What happens when feminized plants get polinated?
What would happen if a feminized plant was fertilized by a male plant or if a feminized plant fertilized itself with female pollen?
Troy,
DB

A feminized plant is a plant grown from a seed resulting from pollen from a female plant. There are several ways to induce a female plant to produce male flowers. The pollen has only female genetics. All the seeds are "feminized".

A plant grown from feminized seed fertilized by a male will produce both male and female plants. If the feminized plant was induced to produce male flowers and then pollinated itself or another plant the pollen would contain only female genetics so the seeds would be feminized.

One problem that may occur over generations of feminizing plants is that you may be inadvertently selecting for hermaphroditism. When plants are induced to produce male flowers, the ones that are most likely to respond to the process, whether chemical, hormonal, light or age techniques are used, are the plants with the most tendency to hermaphroditism. Each time you use a feminizing technique you are inadvertently selecting for hermaphroditism. Each generation increases the chances of producing hermaphrodite plants.

Feminizing is best used to produce the final generation of plants, those that are to be planted for bud. These can also be used as part of an elaborate breeding strategy using both feminized and non-feminized plants.

Readers with grow questions (or answers) should send them to Ed at: Ask Ed, PMB 147, 530 Divisadero St., San Francisco, California 94117, USA. You can also email Ed at [email protected], and send queries via his websites at www.ask-ed.net. All featured questions will be rewarded with a copy of Ed's new book, Best of Ask Ed: Your Marijuana Questions Answered. Sorry, Ed cannot send personal replies to your questions

P

paco666

Each time you use a feminizing technique you are inadvertently selecting for hermaphroditism. Each generation increases the chances of producing hermaphrodite plants.

Feminizing is best used to produce the final generation of plants, those that are to be planted for bud.

this makes a lot of sense to me.....perhaps a bad idea for breading, but a good idea for a gorilla crop that cant be sexed as easy..... i have some i made with somas rodelization technique i wanna test..... i also have a pack of california dreams fems from amsterdam seed bank that look like the immaturest, whitest, tiniest, lamest little mex seeds you've ever seen....i have very little confidence in them just from their visual appearance...o well i have em so i'll pop em some day............:icon_cookie:

B

bicycle racer

im growing out some fem hybrids now never had them herm on me its all about how fems are made and which parents are used.

Top Bottom