Few questions regarding roots in coco

• Thread starter Sw91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sw91

Sw91

feeding an ec of 1.1 canna coco a and b and also using rhizo. Ph is always 5.9 or 6. I water them in 6 litres about a litre and it gives me some run off. I ain’t ever letting the coco go so dry that I’ve seen a plant go droopy. I understand I don’t want it to dry out. Pots seem to go light enough for a watering every second day. The plant in the 2litres pot is huge and looks bigger than the plants in the 6 litre pots despite being the same age? I’m guessing because it’s been watered more often being that it’s in a smaller pot? Even that watered daily until run off doesn’t have the best roots. I’ve achieved better looking roots when I used to use my Wilma system. I want to get this right though.

happy to try anything at this stage because I can’t work it out. I was watering daily when I had the ones I potted up into 6litres still in the 2litres pots. Didn’t see any amazing roots then. Read to let the coco dry a little so they search but course not go bone dry. And well this is where we’re at. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2Bad

2Bad

Notice the bottom photo the coco looks a little on the dry side. Pot still have some weight to it though and never had a plant go droopy from under watering. So could maybe be the light. I could water it now tbh and I know it won’t go over watered. I’m just wanting to do what’s best to get the roots to take off.
whats the space size you use and light? so these are only 1.5 gallon pots? should be watering once a day and once at night at the least I know @Aqua Man waters his 1gallons 15times a day . I believe canna coco needs calmag too. possibly silica.

edit: we use fabric pots and you're using plastic so might take longer to dry..And I know a guy who watered his coco once a day @Shayne010944 and his plants look great

Last edited:
Sw91

Sw91

Only 1.5 gallon? Lol I’ve hit gram per watt from these size pots And had decent yields in the past.
2063774D 46D7 4BD5 B57D FAB117D17E51
A4D9D8AC FAE1 4E71 A9E9 8B480C862388

some of my previous plants but then veg was slow and I put that down to the coco being pressed down to much. I would have to wait until the pots was bone dry because of this or they’d look over watered.

I know I can water these daily now, I just question will that see better roots? I was watering daily in the 2 litre pots and the roots wasn’t great. The plant I posted first is one of these plants that I didn’t bother potting up as I wanted to get the roots right. She’s watered daily to run off, still not the best roots,

2Bad

2Bad

Only 1.5 gallon? Lol I’ve hit gram per watt from these size pots And had decent yields in the past. View attachment 1168425View attachment 1168426

some of my previous plants but then veg was slow and I put that down to the coco being pressed down to much. I would have to wait until the pots was bone dry because of this or they’d look over watered.

I know I can water these daily now, I just question will that see better roots? I was watering daily in the 2 litre pots and the roots wasn’t great. The plant I posted first is one of these plants that I didn’t bother potting up as I wanted to get the roots right. She’s watered daily to run off, still not the best roots,
I meant 1.5gal in a dry quick way because usually my 1 gallons are dry 6hours after morning feed..but your in plastic pots. your plants look great.

Sw91

Sw91

Thanks but those two plants are previous grows lol. I thought I’d have solved my issue and seen veg time speed up because of not pressing down the coco. My veg has always been slow due to poor roots. Those plants I posted in the end sure I was watering daily but took ages to get to that point. I was having to treat the coco like soil and letting it dry out because of where I packed the coco down it wasn’t holding oxygen. Last grow I got some clones, didn’t pack the coco down and when pots with a bit light but not bone dry. I had the best roots I’ve ever had. So I thought I had solved my problem and this time round would be seeing great roots and fast growth. My friend started his plants a month behind me and is already in flower. I’m at the point where I’m ready to just call it a day with these. Thing is it doesn’t help me for next time.

Sw91

Sw91

I found this from an old forum I used to go on ages ago. Wasn‘t watering daily at first but when the pot got light and course as it rooted that ended up being daily. But this is 5 days worth of root growth, the lower half wasn’t watered as I was an idiot and spilt some water and thought I’d was run off lol. This is from seed by the way, better roots than what I have now and been over a week lol.
2E6B7186 D3E9 4F84 8821 19F6FF4ED1BB
BB647E3B E846 48B4 9555 07F783DB5294

2Bad

2Bad

I found this from an old forum I used to go on ages ago. Wasn‘t watering daily at first but when the pot got light and course as it rooted that ended up being daily. But this is 5 days worth of root growth, the lower half wasn’t watered as I was an idiot and spilt some water and thought I’d was run off lol. This is from seed by the way, better roots than what I have now and been over a week lol.View attachment 1168436View attachment 1168437
The genetics

Sw91

Sw91

Lol I thank you for trying to help but trust me I’m doing something wrong with the watering. You can see yourself plants aren’t exactly unhealthy looking. It’s just shit roots and have had the problem for ages.

Sw91

Sw91

I turned my old phone on, need to get a lot of photos off and bin the thing to be honest. Has a mind of its own and only turns on when it’s super hot or cold lol weird I know. Anyway I wanted to see if I had photos of my last good grow during veg and sadly didn’t.

I had a photo of this though, which I watered only when light. I’d of had to water it like that as it was the days of packing down the coco too much. Water the pot when it wasn’t light and would end up with droopy plants. By the time I flip them though I’m always watering daily. Anyway I thought I’d show this to show some roots I had from it. Forgot about it tbh but is a 10litre pot. This was the day I killed the plant, had people coming round the house so had to kill everything.
IMG 20200708 222417
IMG 20200708 222537

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Coco should never dry.. it has amazing air exchange and air holding capacity.

This will help understand media and pot size a bit but coco is NOT soil.

These roots are from a 1 gal. At flip which was about 3 weeks... maybe 4 tops depending which plant it was... I dont remember but it was a male.

From start to finish 1 gal and at peak feeding was 14x a day. Now a bigger pot would reduce that greatly.

20201201 134953
Sw91

Sw91

In the past I’ve had to let my coco dry as I was packing it down to much. If I didn’t water it when the pots was light I’d end up with over watered plants. Even with them I’d end up to the point where I’d be watering daily to run off. Each plant in the 6litre pot drinking 2litres daily.

Now not packing the coco it seems nearly impossible to over water the plants. I’m sure I lost one early on due to over watering though. Since then I have been watering a lot sooner than I would have in the past. Certainly not letting the coco dry out, yet it seems to have caused not the greatest roots. Have been told by many others I should let the pots get on the dry side at first when trying to root the pot? Then once rooted I can hit them with as much water as I like? which is how it went with the last grow I done that was successful, could hit those plants all at the same time regardless of weight of the pot.

At this stage I’m ready to bin these so nothing to lose lol . I’m gonna take your advice with one and never the coco get dry. Am I right in thinking I need to hit it with 10% of the pot size and that should give run off? If it takes more then I should be watering it sooner?

just to add, that over sized plant in the two litre pot. I’ve been watering that daily and hasn’t been allowed to dry. The roots are there but aren’t the greatest.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In the past I’ve had to let my coco dry as I was packing it down to much. If I didn’t water it when the pots was light I’d end up with over watered plants. Even with them I’d end up to the point where I’d be watering daily to run off. Each plant in the 6litre pot drinking 2litres daily.

Now not packing the coco it seems nearly impossible to over water the plants. I’m sure I lost one early on due to over watering though. Since then I have been watering a lot sooner than I would have in the past. Certainly not letting the coco dry out, yet it seems to have caused not the greatest roots. Have been told by many others I should let the pots get on the dry side at first when trying to root the pot? Then once rooted I can hit them with as much water as I like? which is how it went with the last grow I done that was successful, could hit those plants all at the same time regardless of weight of the pot.

At this stage I’m ready to bin these so nothing to lose lol . I’m gonna take your advice with one and never the coco get dry. Am I right in thinking I need to hit it with 10% of the pot size and that should give run off? If it takes more then I should be watering it sooner?

just to add, that over sized plant in the two litre pot. I’ve been watering that daily and hasn’t been allowed to dry. The roots are there but aren’t the greatest.
Yeah early on when you transplant you only need to saturate and water when the tops just start to lighten... but thats only for about a week.

what pots are you using?

You sure you don't have root aphids?

Can you show a pic of the setup?

If you look at the pics you can see the roots your not happy with are brownish and the roots your happy with are much Whiter....

This tells me they are air pruning and getting to dry or you have an infection of sorts like say pythium... notice the difference in color in the one pot where the bottom is dry and the top is wet....but I don't think it's an infection since the plants are doing ok. So I'd almost certainly say they are drying to much.

Once rooted about a week you should be fertigating in a 6L about 300 ml at a time and getting atleast 30 ml run off if you can. You want to keep them 85-90%+ saturated at all times.

Water only in the lights on cycle and split your events evenly through it. Only if the pots are dry by the end of the dark cycle do you want to fertigate during it.

Sw91

Sw91

Thanks for the reply, these are 6litre pots. The set up is just the pots in the tent and me hand watering.

The photo you mention with the better looking white roots. They are from a previous grow. I found the photo on my old phone. With that I watered until run off and would water again when the pot was light In weight. I would have to wait until the pot was really light because I was packing the coco down to much.

The roots look better in that photo though which makes me think have I been watering these too soon? I know you can’t over water coco, when it’s not packed down to much at least lol. But have seen people say to treat it more like soil to the pots fully rooted?

I have one plant that I watered until run off yesterday. Lights have just came on and I’m gonna treat it how your saying. I’ll give it 300ml and hope to see some run off. I suppose how your describing it sounds sorta like how a dripper works? I mean the Wilma would water daily and always had good roots with that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the reply, these are 6litre pots. The set up is just the pots in the tent and me hand watering.

The photo you mention with the better looking white roots. They are from a previous grow. I found the photo on my old phone. With that I watered until run off and would water again when the pot was light In weight. I would have to wait until the pot was really light because I was packing the coco down to much.

The roots look better in that photo though which makes me think have I been watering these too soon? I know you can’t over water coco, when it’s not packed down to much at least lol. But have seen people say to treat it more like soil to the pots fully rooted?

I have one plant that I watered until run off yesterday. Lights have just came on and I’m gonna treat it how your saying. I’ll give it 300ml and hope to see some run off. I suppose how your describing it sounds sorta like how a dripper works? I mean the Wilma would water daily and always had good roots with that.
Yeah you would need auto feed in those pots.try to water 3x a day with a half litre

Sw91

Sw91

Even when the pots already proper heavy? The one I watered is absolute heavy and the top of the coco is still soaking wet? Should I give that the 300ml like you said and look to get the little bit of run off? I ain’t worried about over watering the plant. Mind you I do wonder if this method would of been better had I potted up with already decent roots? I’ll do whatever you tell me though as the plants are heading for the bin otherwise. Shame as plants themselves I think look alright,

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Even when the pots already proper heavy? The one I watered is absolute heavy and the top of the coco is still soaking wet? Should I give that the 300ml like you said and look to get the little bit of run off? I ain’t worried about over watering the plant. Mind you I do wonder if this method would of been better had I potted up with already decent roots? I’ll do whatever you tell me though as the plants are heading for the bin otherwise. Shame as plants themselves I think look alright,
Yeah keep it saturated.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

what's your environment like?

Also make sure you water early in the light cycle then last one no more than 2 hrs before dark cycle.

Top Bottom