Few questions regarding roots in coco

• Thread starter Sw91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sw91

Sw91

Environment I think is bang on, I’ve grown plenty in it over the years. Got everything set up through the sms fan controller thing. Plants themselves look fine I feel, not seeing any issues with them. Gonna water the plant now with the 300ml. that Won’t be enough to cover the whole top surface though so in the end that will start to dry? If that makes sense

2Bad

2Bad

Environment I think is bang on, I’ve grown plenty in it over the years. Got everything set up through the sms fan controller thing. Plants themselves look fine I feel, not seeing any issues with them. Gonna water the plant now with the 300ml. that Won’t be enough to cover the whole top surface though so in the end that will start to dry? If that makes sense
300ml was just an estimate.. you should learn how much it drinks by starting with 300..then add more until you get at least 20% run off. Cover the whole surface area.

Sw91

Sw91

So just give enough whatever the amount until I see around 10% run off. Do this daily and over time it should start to drink that amount. Meaning I would then need to give it more. roughly how long you think it should take for a plant to start drinking that amount and need an increase? Got my doubts about all this as goes against everything I’ve ever done but hey I gotta put my trust into it. Only gonna probably bin them anyway so nothing to loose.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So just give enough whatever the amount until I see around 10% run off. Do this daily and over time it should start to drink that amount. Meaning I would then need to give it more. roughly how long you think it should take for a plant to start drinking that amount and need an increase? Got my doubts about all this as goes against everything I’ve ever done but hey I gotta put my trust into it. Only gonna probably bin them anyway so nothing to loose.
The point is to keep a stable rootzone... im a small pot you need to water often. When using synthetic ferts you need to flush some out each feed so you don't end up with an imbalance etc.

They drink what they drink based on environmental factors, light and health.

Read this closely.

Now you can feed less often but you have to understand the more you let it dry the more everything swing and plants like stability.

I would say 3x a day getting up to 20% runoff and see how it goes.

I also suggest the fabric pot's if you can. They breathe a bit better

Sw91

Sw91

so not just once a day till run off at first? How long do you think it should take to see the roots really start to take off with watering daily till run off? Gotta say I been doing this with the two litre pot plant I kept back. Watering it daily till run off and can’t say the roots look better for it tbh. But I’m gonna try what you say as nothing to loose. I’ll water to run off daily till I’m seeing upto 20% run off.

In the past I had no choice but to let the coco dry as I was packing it down to much. If the pot wasn’t really light it would over water the plant. That said I never once saw the leaves go droopy from under watering despite letting the pot get light. This coco now isn’t packed down to much so I can water it whenever and ain’t worried about over watering. I’ve already been watering them a lot heavier than I ever have in the past. What I done in the past letting the pots get light. I’d see roots grow and end up watering daily in the end. It just felt way too slow and I saw my friends clones which he gave me the coco wasn’t packed down as much and the roots was way better n plants way bigger.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Is
so not just once a day till run off at first? How long do you think it should take to see the roots really start to take off with watering daily till run off? Gotta say I been doing this with the two litre pot plant I kept back. Watering it daily till run off and can’t say the roots look better for it tbh. But I’m gonna try what you say as nothing to loose. I’ll water to run off daily till I’m seeing upto 20% run off.

In the past I had no choice but to let the coco dry as I was packing it down to much. If the pot wasn’t really light it would over water the plant. That said I never once saw the leaves go droopy from under watering despite letting the pot get light. This coco now isn’t packed down to much so I can water it whenever and ain’t worried about over watering. I’ve already been watering them a lot heavier than I ever have in the past. What I done in the past letting the pots get light. I’d see roots grow and end up watering daily in the end. It just felt way too slow and I saw my friends clones which he gave me the coco wasn’t packed down as much and the roots was way better n plants way bigger.
is it an issue of Coco quality? Might just be guessing there but if you're finding your Coco too packed down maybe it's too light in shred and heavy on the powdery stuff. In those instances the Coco can act more like dirt than a hydro medium as it should. I've shown you my 8 gal pots, they never go a day without water and as per that photo, pretty well filled those suckers in 3 weeks from seed. It will tamp down a bit over time but it doesn't feel heavy or muddy. Good Coco is optimally kept 90% soaked or more, and causes no issues on roots because of pressure or heaviness. It's designed to keep oxygen in the medium and cavities where roots can easily push through. I'm just thinking if you think the Coco is creating some issues first step would be to change Coco brand perhaps.

Sw91

Sw91

It’s canna coco that I use, all I’ve ever used. My friend uses it too and has always had great roots. I’ve had decent roots with it myself. It was me packing the coco down too much. I don’t even know why I was doing it lol. Would wonder why my plants would look after watered when others say you can’t over water it. Then I saw my friends plants and noticed his coco felt far more loose. So stopped packing it down and potted up clones he gave me and watered them when pots felt a bit light but not as light as I was having to let them get. The roots grew lovely and was a fast veg.

Sw91

Sw91

im guessing the watering daily till run off regardless of weight is supposed to act similar to a dripper? My wilma system I would run daily feeds regardless of the pots weight. Have to say always had good roots with it as well. So fingers crossed start to see the same here. It’s certainly different compare to how I’ve ever hand watered in the past.

Iceman000

Iceman000

im guessing the watering daily till run off regardless of weight is supposed to act similar to a dripper? My wilma system I would run daily feeds regardless of the pots weight. Have to say always had good roots with it as well. So fingers crossed start to see the same here. It’s certainly different compare to how I’ve ever hand watered in the past.
Any updates on how things are going on in ur end? I'm pretty much looking for a solution to the same problem.

D

D_G

Any updates on how things are going on in ur end? I'm pretty much looking for a solution to the same problem.
To me it looks like his huge plant in small pot just drink the water so quick that roots dont develop normal. It needs multiple waterings to stay moist.

W

Willy.Balls

I've been battling the same problem for months. I used to have amazing roots in coco. Until I started getting problems.

It's the root infection each and every time. Pythium oospores are in your environment. By letting the pots dry out a bit you are keeping it at bay. But as soon as you saturate the pots their numbers increase and they damage the roots micro hairs and thinner roots. Plant cannot absorb nutrients effectively and show deficiencies.

Until you get rid of all the equipment or sterilize absolutely every thing and every inch of the space and corner you will have this recurring problem. Additionally fungus gnats can transfer it form plant to plant.

People that can get away with keeping the coco saturated all time are lucky to have no pathogens in their environment.

Since I moved to a place near a park with lots of vegetation and bugs I ve been battling it for months. No matter what I ve tried, different coco brands, nutrients, beneficial bacteria, trichoderma, fungicides, h2o2, hypochlorous acid. As soon as I started keeping the coco saturated plants where getting stunted because of rapidly spreading pythium or phytoflora or some kind of root disease. I'm planning to get rid of everyrthing and move to a new place.

Cheers.

Top Bottom