FFOF vs cheap peat based soils

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Any peat(i mean label,not type of) will do,you can amend it whatever you want.......Just read the PH on the back because there is too acidic types.Here i try different rose substrates because they are nice and there plenty in the big stores,mostly peat(black,white or both) and i add things if i want to like zeolites,vermiculite,some sands,stones,manure, compost or worm castings....The 50lt bags are cheap,you can mix different blends...... Peat is the base,fertz should be less, and enough drainage........VOILA haha Here most of the peat base mixes are German or Ukrainian or Estonian or whatever,we also have few Bulgarian blends that are working just fine strait from the bag.But i always like to amend them a little bit more,mostly they all need more perlite:)I never tried those soils you are mentioning on THC farmer(except Canna terra and Bio bizz,i wasnt impressed by bio bizz soils,Canna was better).
I'm not a big fan of, & I won't buy promix again, or maybe I'll keep adding 1/3 peat to the ffof like I was doing previously, I liked using it in that ratio, however I'm going back to Fox Farm ocean forest soil as soon as they open my hydro store, I'll be there buying several bags, need it asap!

Ina

Ina

I'm not a big fan of, & I won't buy promix again, or maybe I'll keep adding 1/3 peat to the ffof like I was doing previously, I liked using it in that ratio, however I'm going back to Fox Farm ocean forest soil as soon as they open my hydro store, I'll be there buying several bags, need it asap!
I would also try those(fox farm and i am interested in that happy frog soil)I read about them here. but it looks like they are not so popular in Europe,at least here people usually use Plagron,bio biz,canna and such.I never buy potting mix from growshops,they are really expensive to me:)Better buy from some nursery garden for other plants or from Baumax,Praktiker and such.....Everything labeled for cannabis is expensive here.:)Otherwise i have one big grow shop near me but i rarely buy something from them.Their pots are triple the prize of normal,working pot haha

Glassdub

Glassdub

I would also try those(fox farm and i am interested in that happy frog soil)I read about them here. but it looks like they are not so popular in Europe,at least here people usually use Plagron,bio biz,canna and such.I never buy potting mix from growshops,they are really expensive to me:)Better buy from some nursery garden for other plants or from Baumax,Praktiker and such.....Everything labeled for cannabis is expensive here.:)Otherwise i have one big grow shop near me but i rarely buy something from them.Their pots are triple the prize of normal,working pot haha
There is a sucker born every day.

• Haha
Reactions: Ina
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That's great advice, thanks! I do have one big Garden Center that I'm going to check out, I'm pretty sure they're still open although I'm not positive so I better call first LOL and they're a bit of a drive but I think that's my project for this coming week, I need to get the heck out of the house anyway LOL

I don't totally dislike peat, maybe I'm not used to it like I am soil, but I'm more comfortable with soil, and I feel I've had equally good results, probably better w/ soil because I'm more familiar with it

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@Cheekiestsauce, Pro-mix has been the go-to soiless mix for BC bud growers going on 30 years. It's cheap, performs very well and is super easy to use. Just know, it comes with fungus gnats 60% of the time... Yellow sticky traps are almost always bought along side promix lol.
That's why I like this GreenWorld VPW30 I've used ProMix for years & years and I like this stuff much better. I don't get ph swings and I don't have to add supplements to it. It may have more to do with my attentiveness to my rooms and plants now but for the price and the results I'm getting I think its a better product than ProMix.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've used Promix for 30+ years and never really had any problems at all other than a scrape with bugs once or twice. I add about 20% compost/manure and about 2 tablespoons time release flowering nutes in a 5 gallon bucket. I get great results without worrying about overfeeding or overwatering. I use the Promix HP or BX, but NOT the general purpose potting soil, which seems like most of the other fortified potting soils sold everywhere. The HP/BX has no nutrients, just a little buffering to keep Ph in good range. No lockouts, no Ph issues, no deficiencies or nute burns unless it is my own doing.
In my experience, a good grower can get a decent crop out of a bag of gravel, and I know a lot of knowledgeble growers on here who d it in many different mediums. Once you get your process dialed in, you will do well. I would probably try some of the other products out there, but I know that my system works great and I'm too stubborn and lazy to admit that there might be something better out there.. Yeah, pride plays a big role as well and I'm as guilty as anyone...

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I mentioned it before but I guess it got lost that the 1.5 cubic foot ffof bag fills 9 to 12 three gallon pots (with one third volume added perlite)

I don't know why you're saying that one bag doesn't even fill one 3-gallon pot because that's not accurate?

I've seen they have small bags but even a small bag would fill several 3 gallon pots
I guess that could be the difference between a Canadian Gallon and a Us Gallon Us gal = 128 oz Cdn = 160 oz. The bags here will not fill my buckets.

FoxFarm FX14079 Ocean Forest Soil Bag, 1.5 cu. ft.

CDN$45.00 CDN$89.10

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've used Promix for 30+ years and never really had any problems at all other than a scrape with bugs once or twice. I add about 20% compost/manure and about 2 tablespoons time release flowering nutes in a 5 gallon bucket. I get great results without worrying about overfeeding or overwatering. I use the Promix HP or BX, but NOT the general purpose potting soil, which seems like most of the other fortified potting soils sold everywhere. The HP/BX has no nutrients, just a little buffering to keep Ph in good range. No lockouts, no Ph issues, no deficiencies or nute burns unless it is my own doing.
In my experience, a good grower can get a decent crop out of a bag of gravel, and I know a lot of knowledgeble growers on here who d it in many different mediums. Once you get your process dialed in, you will do well. I would probably try some of the other products out there, but I know that my system works great and I'm too stubborn and lazy to admit that there might be something better out there.. Yeah, pride plays a big role as well and I'm as guilty as anyone...
Jim quick question if you happen to see this?!

I have only promix, worm castings and #3 perlite at my disposal right now, I'm mixing them equally..

my question is; will this mix be more like a soil than a peat based medium??
-thanks in advance

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I guess that could be the difference between a Canadian Gallon and a Us Gallon Us gal = 128 oz Cdn = 160 oz. The bags here will not fill my buckets.View attachment 963612
FoxFarm FX14079 Ocean Forest Soil Bag, 1.5 cu. ft.

CDN$45.00 CDN$89.10
No wonder I got so much drunker last time I drank a gallon of beer in Montreal!!! LOL (That would explain several other things that happened up on St. Catherine Street too!?)
🤦‍♂️ 🔫🐒

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Glassdub

Glassdub

I've never had bug issues with ProMix, maybe its from the venders, I only major bug issue I've had was with a lot of organic crap I got cut out at Target.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
No wonder I got so much drunker last time I drank a gallon of beer in Montreal!!! LOL (That would explain several other things that happened up on St. Catherine Street too!?)
🤦‍♂️ 🔫🐒
I'm just try to learn about the benefits and drawbacks of other media such as FFOF but it doesn't seem to make much difference in the plants outcome from what I've seen. Whether you use cheap peat or expensive soils then add amendments and extra this and that, worm casings bat shit,sea weed & super this that and the other and at the end they have the same sized plants, same quality smoke. What was gained with the added ingredients other than self fulfillment in believing adding all the extra crap is going to make a difference in the end product.

I'm not trying to offend that's not what I'm intending.I have a blunt way of writing. If you can cut through my insulting way of speak to get the point I'm trying to make. Like my beginning question on this post

Please explain ( as insulting as you want, I'll take no offense just don't call me ugly) why people spend so much money adding all the extras? I'd like to know....Remember I'm old so things take time to sink in. A couple of happy faces to show no malice intended.😀😀😀

4plant

4plant

I’ll be growing my outdoor plants this year in a mix of promix hp and ffof. For big outdoor plants I like the idea of building a soil and just adding water and the odd tea. I do think it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative if I’m buying a few yards of soil but I’ve tried making my own “super soils” before and the results were not worth it. If your wanting to do things on the cheap, manure and sand work just fine.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've never had bug issues with ProMix, maybe its from the venders, I only major bug issue I've had was with a lot of organic crap I got cut out at Target.
I've had gnats from most peat products I buy. None seen so far from this last bag but soon as I see them I take action and they disappear. I just always assumed they were innate with peat based soils.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’ll be growing my outdoor plants this year in a mix of promix hp and ffof. For big outdoor plants I like the idea of building a soil and just adding water and the odd tea. I do think it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative if I’m buying a few yards of soil but I’ve tried making my own “super soils” before and the results were not worth it. If your wanting to do things on the cheap, manure and sand work just fine.
I haven't had much luck growing outside here, too cold, damp and moldy too early. I'm sure some have great success here, just not me in my location.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've had gnats from most peat products I buy. None seen so far from this last bag but soon as I see them I take action and they disappear. I just always assumed they were innate with peat based soils.
The gnats come out of the fox farm pretty good too :(

Edit: I don't know about the extras cuz I only add perlite and sometimes some Dolomite in bloom, if she's been long in veg she tends to need a couple of tablespoons going into flower ..and mykos but I add that to everything, that's good stuff

4plant

4plant

To try and answer your question. I think the cost comes down to advertising and shipping heavy bags of soil around North America. To be fair though the reality is that balancing pre loaded nutes in a mix that has the right drainage and can grow plants that aren’t loaded with n does take a lot of trial and error. There are also different qualities of minerals being added. Ffof does seem to have a good reputation from real growers and that should count for something. If you can accomplish this on your own you should, save money and be proud you can do what a lot of us either can’t or are unwilling to try.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
To try and answer your question. I think the cost comes down to advertising and shipping heavy bags of soil around North America. To be fair though the reality is that balancing pre loaded nutes in a mix that has the right drainage and can grow plants that aren’t loaded with n does take a lot of trial and error. There are also different qualities of minerals being added. Ffof does seem to have a good reputation from real growers and that should count for something. If you can accomplish this on your own you should, save money and be proud you can do what a lot of us either can’t or are unwilling to try.
I consider the peat to be almost like water where it doesn't have anything you don't add and the GH nutes are all it seems to need. Any series of nutes would probably work I just started with them an don't know enough to change. I 'm probably doing with nutes what others are with their soil because I don't want to fk it up now lol

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

And I've just found out that foxfarm has a good reputation among real growers too?! Who knew?? lol! 🙄 so there you go lol

I think you're a little off on how many pots you get out of a bag of fox farm but besides that I could care less what anyone uses, if I'm honest if I was younger I'd be growing Hydro again if I felt like schlepping water around, but no thanks!

Plus I really like the set-it-and-forget-it aspect of soil growing! Regardless I'm out, good luck!

Ina

Ina

I'm just try to learn about the benefits and drawbacks of other media such as FFOF but it doesn't seem to make much difference in the plants outcome from what I've seen. Whether you use cheap peat or expensive soils then add amendments and extra this and that, worm casings bat shit,sea weed & super this that and the other and at the end they have the same sized plants, same quality smoke. What was gained with the added ingredients other than self fulfillment in believing adding all the extra crap is going to make a difference in the end product.

I'm not trying to offend that's not what I'm intending.I have a blunt way of writing. If you can cut through my insulting way of speak to get the point I'm trying to make. Like my beginning question on this post

Please explain ( as insulting as you want, I'll take no offense just don't call me ugly) why people spend so much money adding all the extras? I'd like to know....Remember I'm old so things take time to sink in. A couple of happy faces to show no malice intended.😀😀😀
Its just interesting to try things,not that they are all necessary:)We even use too much amendments sometimes and soils are getting too "super":D

Latest posts

Top Bottom