Filter/exhaust Fan Size

• Thread starter Kepp89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kepp89

Kepp89

My 4” exhaust fan is dying. Existing carbon filter is 4” as well

If I purchase an 8” exhaust fan, is it imperative that I equip it with an 8” carbon filter or will my 4” carbon filter be fine? I have the step up/down boots but I’m mostly worried about overworking the (new) exhaust fan as I did this (soon to be dead) one. That’s mostly why I want an 8” for the extra cfm and run it at 1/2 to 3/4 speed.

Thanks!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’d go with a 6” but you’re free to jump to 8” if you’d like. There’s some interesting in-line fan options on the market right now. But you do need to match the fan and filter. So 4” to 4”, 6” to 6”, etc. Most fans that aren’t brushless won’t run below 50%. Brushless fans can run down to 1%.

Kepp89

Kepp89

Thanks I thought it was too easy to just replace 1 part of the equation.

Back to amazon I go!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
TerraBloom 6" Inline Duct Fan, Quiet Energy Saving EC Motor with 0-100% Adjustable Speed Control. for Ventilation, Exhaust, Garden and Hydroponics Airflow Boosting. 350 CFM, 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMHFJMR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YROFCbTYWN2KR

This model fan intrigues me. I have a 6” fan coming tomorrow that has a controller and monitor built in for quite a bit more money. Not sure if I’ll keep it or send it back and get the above model instead.

Kepp89

Kepp89

L o l I have the 4” non screen infinity on the way, be here tomorrow for my inline.

And yeah I’m ordering the other one you linked for my exhaust. It’s already in my cart lol I just popped back in to see if you had a different suggestion.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The reviews I read said the 4” model didn’t have enough ump that’s the main reason I went with the 6” model. The carbon filter is arriving at the same time so I’ll hook em up and see how it performs. If it doesn’t meet expectations I’ll pack it up and send it back for the brushless model. I hope it works though. I like the temp and humidity controls. Although for the price I could buy separate controllers to address that. Which if I go with the other fan I prolly will.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

TerraBloom 6" Inline Duct Fan, Quiet Energy Saving EC Motor with 0-100% Adjustable Speed Control. for Ventilation, Exhaust, Garden and Hydroponics Airflow Boosting. 350 CFM, 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMHFJMR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_YROFCbTYWN2KR

This model fan intrigues me. I have a 6” fan coming tomorrow that has a controller and monitor built in for quite a bit more money. Not sure if I’ll keep it or send it back and get the above model instead.
i like this one,i need to upgrade anyway,i run with forced wind,summer is a bitch here and im going to a 8in myself,like the look of that carbon filter there,best thing is the charcoal,most cheapy you buy are filled with coco husk,they work to but harder to clean,i open the filter and lay the coal on a cookie sheet,get the propane torch with rose bud adapter and slowly wand it over the coal,burns off all crap,trick is burn to you see the coating start to smoke,then stop,your just burning off the skin if you dig,takes a while but my filter is 4 yrs old and ive cleaned it 3 times,time for a new one,hahahaha

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
i like this one,i need to upgrade anyway,i run with forced wind,summer is a bitch here and im going to a 8in myself,like the look of that carbon filter there,best thing is the charcoal,most cheapy you buy are filled with coco husk,they work to but harder to clean,i open the filter and lay the coal on a cookie sheet,get the propane torch with rose bud adapter and slowly wand it over the coal,burns off all crap,trick is burn to you see the coating start to smoke,then stop,your just burning off the skin if you dig,takes a while but my filter is 4 yrs old and ive cleaned it 3 times,time for a new one,hahahaha

Dude that’s awesome. I had no idea. I’ve been looking around for virgin carbon to do just that but if you can recondition your existing coal that would be even better. I’ll give that a try. I got a couple filters that will need something in a couple months.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Dude that’s awesome. I had no idea. I’ve been looking around for virgin carbon to do just that but if you can recondition your existing coal that would be even better. I’ll give that a try. I got a couple filters that will need something in a couple months.
they are really easy to take apart,i used self tapping screws to put back together,i went to a fish store looking for charcoal they got it but damn proud of it too,let me go back in pics and see if i can find me doing as described

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i cant find the pics,but i use a little rose bud made for a propane hand held torch,just spread out a cookie sheet full and wisp it across it,you will smell the crap burning off,if it turns a white color get off it,easy as shit just takes a little time,when you a broke dick all little tricks come in handy if you dig,i also take top off filter and just dump it out reversing what was filtering ,most times the fist 6inch is all that filters,the back 6 just lay in waste,this is when i found out about the coco husk,dumped that bitch out and back half was brand new,had already ordered another filter and said why not,gave it a try and after done worked as good as the other

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
i cant find the pics,but i use a little rose bud made for a propane hand held torch,just spread out a cookie sheet full and wisp it across it,you will smell the crap burning off,if it turns a white color get off it,easy as shit just takes a little time,when you a broke dick all little tricks come in handy if you dig,i also take top off filter and just dump it out reversing what was filtering ,most times the fist 6inch is all that filters,the back 6 just lay in waste,this is when i found out about the coco husk,dumped that bitch out and back half was brand new,had already ordered another filter and said why not,gave it a try and after done worked as good as the other

Damn that’s awesome bro. I’m gonna give that a shot. I have a little propane torch that’ll fit the bill perfectly. Thanks a ton for saving me a shitload of money. I owe ya one brother!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Damn that’s awesome bro. I’m gonna give that a shot. I have a little propane torch that’ll fit the bill perfectly. Thanks a ton for saving me a shitload of money. I owe ya one brother!
any time,just a tip for ya,if when buying a filter the advertisment doesnt state charcoal your gonna get coconut husk and it doesnt last long,the link you provided had austrlian charcaol,but ya when i was in that closet i had 3 of the 400 cfm fan and filter combos going in there,loud as hell,made a new attic ceiling entrance door from foam and had all three cut holes to run the exhaust right out into attic,had another filter combo pulling in outside air,worked great,last 2 summers i ran with the 6in combos and damn fight all the way with just forced wind,still got great product but felt like i was growing in coco again,work work work and more work wit that stuff

T

TheKoreanKid

AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T6, Quiet 6” Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller - Ventilation Exhaust Fan for Heating Cooling Booster, Grow Tents, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XBXFPD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pTOFCbQ2Z281G

I have this model on the way but I kind of like the brushless ability of the one in my previous post. I’ll check it out and decide.
That's what I just installed. It sure looks nice all installed. Plus the control panel is pretty intuitive.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That's what I just installed. It sure looks nice all installed. Plus the control panel is pretty intuitive.

How do you like it? Can you set it to never go below a minimum speed? That’s my concern. I need odor control and negative air pressure so having the ability to always have air moving is a must.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
On the charcoal, another online source are aquarium supply places, I bought ten lbs that wasn’t too expensive...

Nice. When I reup I’ll give that a try. Any certain kind of aquarium charcoal work better than others?

T

TheKoreanKid

How do you like it? Can you set it to never go below a minimum speed? That’s my concern. I need odor control and negative air pressure so having the ability to always have air moving is a must.
There's A LOT to it. When I get home I will read the manual front to back and let you know my findings. After powering up first time yesterday the whole basement stopped smelling. There was only a minor smell cause early in bloom, but it was noticeable. Probably 45 minutes later the basement didn't smell one bit. As for noise, it has settings 1-10 where I start really hearing it outside my false wall at around a 7. My hurricane 18" is FAR louder than it. Tonight I'm also gonna work on the settings to control temp. I ran it on 3 the whole night though and it was still moving considerable air.
I'm not sure what negative pressure does for a grow so since you mention it I guess I ought to look into it?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Negative pressure just ensures no air escapes the enclosure. So basically you have more air exiting than entering. In a grow tent the negative air pressure sucks in the walls. If you had positive air pressure it would blow up the tent like a balloon. The problem with positive air pressure is then air escapes through all the little holes if it’s not completely sealed. So most growers use negative air pressure to ensure all air exits through their in-line fan and through a carbon filter. In this scenario you’ll get air sucked through all the little holes but that’s ok because it won’t emit odors as all the air is exiting through the carbon filter.

T

TheKoreanKid

Negative pressure just ensures no air escapes the enclosure. So basically you have more air exiting than entering. In a grow tent the negative air pressure sucks in the walls. If you had positive air pressure it would blow up the tent like a balloon. The problem with positive air pressure is then air escapes through all the little holes if it’s not completely sealed. So most growers use negative air pressure to ensure all air exits through their in-line fan and through a carbon filter. In this scenario you’ll get air sucked through all the little holes but that’s ok because it won’t emit odors as all the air is exiting through the carbon filter.
Makes sense. One problem i ran into was 6" aluminum tubing that was perfectly sealed. For some reason my local hardware store only had a kind that's not perfectly sealed but like sections crimped together. Fortunately the 6" section I had to run was like 1.5ft so sealing the tube with tape didn't take too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom