FILTERED WATER VS RO WATER

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I am looking at removing my RO filter and changing it for a regular carbon filter to remove chlorine/chloromines.

I am interested in the hydro logic big boy with kdf filter. Too much wasted water using an RO. I would rather change a filter.

Can any other seasoned vets provide some insight on the difference? I was gonna try aptus boosters and they recommend tap water. Also, I am going to have my water analyzed so I can tweak my formula based on the results (mostly adjusting Ca I guess).

squiggly

squiggly

Carbon filters will allow ultramicrobacteria and some of the smaller bacteria through--depending on the size. It goes down to about 0.5 micrometers depending on the grade of the carbon. Carbon is activated with a positive charge so that it is good at removing negative ions (like chlorine) from solution.

It does not remove minerals well because it is positively charged (as are the mineral ions). It removes smaller chain hydrocarbons, fats, waxes, and pigments (which are usually negatively charged, it seems) pretty well--depending upon their composition.

It leaves heavy metals in, and radioactive substances--which your marijuana plants are VERY adept at taking up (hemp is often used to remediate contaminated soil).

The difference is that all of what carbon *mostly* removes, RO removes all the way--in addition to removing everything else that carbon doesn't.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

^interesting link about iron filtration on that site.

I moved to a new location with heavy iron, and concerned about certain bacteria that seem to proliferate (and also have health consequences for drinking). Been trying to figure a solution besides having to constantly change pre-filter in front of the RO, looking like that's the only practical option..

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'm filtering city water, and I've been super happy with the filter. Other than healthy plants I have no proof of it being effective. It's what I use in all my teas, and those seem to be effective too. If I have the choice between simple and complex ill choose simple every time. :)

outwest

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Ever pure makes some dope ass filters. I install them for place that use water for food or beverages. The filter uses a 3/4 intake and 3/4 out it puts out a serious amount of water quick and clean.huge filters that you don't have to change often.

dirk d

dirk d

My water is pretty clean.. about 70 ppm's out the faucet. I checked with my city water bureau and they use chlorine not chloramine so I just ended up gettting a smallboy w/upgraded carbon filter. My PPM's come out around 6-7 PPM's or so and I haven't seen any ill effect with tea brewing or with the girls. Been using the small boys about a year now i think.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
i have a nice ass r/o set up with a row of 6 carbon blocks...and its being wasted hanging on the wall, not making any water...cause i can not keep my plants happy on r/o.. some day i will learn how to use r/o watero_O

squiggly

squiggly

my water comes out @ 165ppm and 8.5pH, so I've had to do a little homework in this area.

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
homemade filters are the very best imho ... it only take 6 feet of sand dirt and carbon to filter the worst water into drinking quality ... in my current case i can't even consider using an ro unit it would dry my well up and not to mention ro strips vital minerals from the water that then need to be replaced for healthy growth... being stuck on using ro is a bandaid for poor growing skills .. a formula can be figured out no matter how poor well water is ..
my current well water comes out at 400ppm at 9.1 ph .. alkalinity is 330ppm it is so buffered that it took 1 qt of ph down to bring the ph within a reasonable range in 50 gl .. this water simply could not be used for growing any crop ... so i built a filter using a 50gl drum filled with peat moss and sand ... i coiled a soaker hose at the top of the media and then used standard flood and drain fittings in the bottom of the drum as my filtered out .. water comes out at 50ppm and now at 6.5ph with a the buffering removed from the high alkalinity upon adding nutrients the water finds it's home at 5.8 ph .. plants love it and i waste 0 water ..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
homemade filters are the very best imho ... it only take 6 feet of sand dirt and carbon to filter the worst water into drinking quality ... in my current case i can't even consider using an ro unit it would dry my well up and not to mention ro strips vital minerals from the water that then need to be replaced for healthy growth... being stuck on using ro is a bandaid for poor growing skills .. a formula can be figured out no matter how poor well water is ..
my current well water comes out at 400ppm at 9.1 ph .. alkalinity is 330ppm it is so buffered that it took 1 qt of ph down to bring the ph within a reasonable range in 50 gl .. this water simply could not be used for growing any crop ... so i built a filter using a 50gl drum filled with peat moss and sand ... i coiled a soaker hose at the top of the media and then used standard flood and drain fittings in the bottom of the drum as my filtered out .. water comes out at 50ppm and now at 6.5ph with a the buffering removed from the high alkalinity upon adding nutrients the water finds it's home at 5.8 ph .. plants love it and i waste 0 water ..

ahhh yes.. the jedi master chimes in. thats the tip of the week right there!

Guess I'll be getting some peat and some washed sand.

You analyze the water coming out yet as far as minerals are concerned? I would be super curious as far as what goes in and what comes out.

squiggly

squiggly

You can also just source some cation exchange resin (some types can be recharged). Place this as a prefilter to the peat/activated carbon/sand and you'll bring ppms even lower (and get rid of some pesky cations).

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

nice man...fur sure. Thanks for the share.

How often do you change out the sand and peat?

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

You can also just source some cation exchange resin (some types can be recharged). Place this as a prefilter to the peat/activated carbon/sand and you'll bring ppms even lower (and get rid of some pesky cations).

whats cation exchange resin?

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
nice man...fur sure. Thanks for the share.

How often do you change out the sand and peat?

what i have gathered is that peat will not lose it's capacity to remove the alkalinity, the sand is at the bottom just to remove some of the particulates from the peat ... only time will tell along with ph and ppm checks after each batch if i see ppm rise from what it currently comes out at then i know the filter media might need changing ..

Top Bottom