Fimming caused plants to flower early...

• Thread starter Colabud47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Colabud47

Colabud47

is this bad? I'm growing 4 different strains of autoflowering seeds, 9#hammer, Yumbolt, AK48, and Durban Poison all planted after germinating the first week of December. This is my second grow attempt. My first grow I didn't FIM or do anything special and was pretty happy with the results. This time around I decided to push some and see what would happen. So week 5, I FIM'd a few of the plants that were shooting up taller than the others, right at about the 5th node. Well, within the week all of the plants that I FIM'd really sprouted up (Yay) and started flowering (maybe not yay). This is way early. The plants seem perfectly healthy otherwise. The research I did beforehand didn't mention this could happen; although admittedly, I didn't think to search "will fimming cause my plants to flower early." I'm guessing I stressed the plants into flowering early? I'm still doing 18/6 with the lights, which shouldn't matter with the autoflowering anyways. So I'm mostly wondering if there is anything I need to watch out of the ordinary, or do anything different on these ones? Thanks in advance.

Ryboburton

Ryboburton

Why not grow photos. Just curious. I top the living shit out of mine but expect 3 lbs from seven plants. But with photos u can control that. I’m just curious no judgement. I have a buddy that loves them here in town

growsince79

growsince79

is this bad? I'm growing 4 different strains of autoflowering seeds, 9#hammer, Yumbolt, AK48, and Durban Poison all planted after germinating the first week of December. This is my second grow attempt. My first grow I didn't FIM or do anything special and was pretty happy with the results. This time around I decided to push some and see what would happen. So week 5, I FIM'd a few of the plants that were shooting up taller than the others, right at about the 5th node. Well, within the week all of the plants that I FIM'd really sprouted up (Yay) and started flowering (maybe not yay). This is way early. The plants seem perfectly healthy otherwise. The research I did beforehand didn't mention this could happen; although admittedly, I didn't think to search "will fimming cause my plants to flower early." I'm guessing I stressed the plants into flowering early? I'm still doing 18/6 with the lights, which shouldn't matter with the autoflowering anyways. So I'm mostly wondering if there is anything I need to watch out of the ordinary, or do anything different on these ones? Thanks in advance.
I dont do autos but they say dont top em.

growsince79

growsince79

Why not grow photos. Just curious. I top the living shit out of mine but expect 3 lbs from seven plants. But with photos u can control that. I’m just curious no judgement. I have a buddy that loves them here in town
I dont know anyone who grows autos. Many photo hybrids today can be grown just as fast as an auto. Maybe its just fake internet people buying auto seeds. lol

Ryboburton

Ryboburton

I dont know anyone who grows autos. Many photo hybrids today can be grown just as fast as an auto. Maybe its just fake internet people buying auto seeds. lol
Weirdest thing I have a buddy who loves them. But he’s also got add I think. Hell slip plants on a whim etc. I think he likes the no light schedule but I find it unnecessary. I can grow way more and better quality from clone and use photos. Even when I have problems it can be fixed before flower

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
When do your autos normally start to flower? What you are saying does not sound like anything out of the ordinary from my very limited experience with autos (I grew one and she was very non-fussy).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

When i grew them it was my first solo grow. I let them grow up and start flowering and then bent them during stretch to promote branching. They never slowed down. Did pretty well. Got 15 oz with the 5 pack of greenhouse northern lights. I grow most plants that way since. Lets them get big and strong without stress then train to suit.

Madmax

Madmax

If anything it fimming or topping can delay buds flowering by a week or 2 so i gather they were about to before you fimmed them but thats outdoors so i guess would b same as indoors

Colabud47

Colabud47

I'm guessing photos are non-autoflowering plants? I mostly chose autoflowering since I have a small grow "room" area in the basement but also for my first couple times I wanted to limit many of the variables and just focus on making sure I could keep the plants alive from start to finish. I have enough autoflowering seeds to do one more grow after this crop. I figure then I'm going to venture into non-autoflowering. My uncle is an old timer who saved a bunch of seeds from the 80's and 90's and when growing became legal where he is the last couple years, he randomly started planting them and they actually grew and he got a couple to pollinate so he's supposed to be sending me some seeds to try out. I've been joking that he's got some heirloom varieties. I'm sure they're no where near as potent as anything being engineered nowadays, but he said it tastes really good. Will be fun trying I reckon.

Colabud47

Colabud47

If anything it fimming or topping can delay buds flowering by a week or 2 so i gather they were about to before you fimmed them but thats outdoors so i guess would b same as indoors
The one's I didn't FIM are still growing normal. Growing time should have been ~8 weeks give or take before flowering.

Colabud47

Colabud47

I dont do autos but they say dont top em.
When I looked before I did it, what I found basically said you could FIM the AF's. After it started flowering and I googled it, like anything, I found everything from don't FIM them, to you could FIM them, and also to research the specific strain to see how it might behave. Also all the responses to this question that I could find, people said it couldn't happen (FIM=Flowering) yet, this is what I got. Now that it's done and it's doing i's thing, I was hoping someone else might have had this happen. I'm guessing I just have to keep feeding them and see what happens.

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Man, they are auto-flowering for a reason.... that means the plant flowers without caring when you want it to flower lol..... Don't grow autoflowers if you're going to be this concerned about them flowering "early" although there is no such thing as early with autoflowers they just flower when they are ready.

growsince79

growsince79

Weirdest thing I have a buddy who loves them. But he’s also got add I think. Hell slip plants on a whim etc. I think he likes the no light schedule but I find it unnecessary. I can grow way more and better quality from clone and use photos. Even when I have problems it can be fixed before flower
I'm guessing photos are non-autoflowering plants? I mostly chose autoflowering since I have a small grow "room" area in the basement but also for my first couple times I wanted to limit many of the variables and just focus on making sure I could keep the plants alive from start to finish. I have enough autoflowering seeds to do one more grow after this crop. I figure then I'm going to venture into non-autoflowering. My uncle is an old timer who saved a bunch of seeds from the 80's and 90's and when growing became legal where he is the last couple years, he randomly started planting them and they actually grew and he got a couple to pollinate so he's supposed to be sending me some seeds to try out. I've been joking that he's got some heirloom varieties. I'm sure they're no where near as potent as anything being engineered nowadays, but he said it tastes really good. Will be fun trying I reckon.
Contrary to what the plagurized and regurgitated internet fake news, today's strains are not more potent than 70s and 80s strains.

Colabud47

Colabud47

When do your autos normally start to flower? What you are saying does not sound like anything out of the ordinary from my very limited experience with autos (I grew one and she was very non-fussy).

For some reason I didn't see this last night. They are usually in the 55 to 72 days, I fimmed at around 35 days and the ones I fimmed started flowering around 40-42 days.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
For some reason I didn't see this last night. They are usually in the 55 to 72 days, I fimmed at around 35 days and the ones I fimmed started flowering around 40-42 days.
Fair enough, different genetics will have different timings. I would expect an auto to start flowering around week 6 if not sooner tbh. An auto taking that long makes me wonder....why? Not from you, from the breeder. An 8 week veg for a photo is on the long side. Autos are usually meant to be fast....

And you will find if you spend any time on the forums that there is far from a consensus that the newest strains are better than old school stuff and in fact many, many, many of us would be very interested in these old timer beans, what they are, etc.

Colabud47

Colabud47

Fair enough, different genetics will have different timings. I would expect an auto to start flowering around week 6 if not sooner tbh. An auto taking that long makes me wonder....why? Not from you, from the breeder. An 8 week veg for a photo is on the long side. Autos are usually meant to be fast....

And you will find if you spend any time on the forums that there is far from a consensus that the newest strains are better than old school stuff and in fact many, many, many of us would be very interested in these old timer beans, what they are, etc.
Yeah and that's fine. I'm not trying to start any conspiracies here, as a science person, I would just assume that with the medicinal angle, big business and just the overall advancements of science and genetics that someone is figuring out how to get more thc out of these strains.

As for what he's got, he has no idea. The way he told me is back then (and now that I've thought about it more it was probably in the 70's and early 80's) when you got a bag of weed, it would have seeds in it much of the time. If he thought it tasted good, he'd save the seeds. Somewhere in the late 80's early 90's maybe he stopped growing. Well fast forward 30 years, it became legal to grow where he lives now, he busted those out of who knows where and started planting. Some didn't germinate and some did. Does anyone have a feel for what the strains would have been back then? I'm assuming it was far more limited than what's around today. Less crossbreeding? Short of sending them off to be tested is it possible to even really "know" what it is? I actually have to head that way for work so I might try and pick some up.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yeah and that's fine. I'm not trying to start any conspiracies here, as a science person, I would just assume that with the medicinal angle, big business and just the overall advancements of science and genetics that someone is figuring out how to get more thc out of these strains.

As for what he's got, he has no idea. The way he told me is back then (and now that I've thought about it more it was probably in the 70's and early 80's) when you got a bag of weed, it would have seeds in it much of the time. If he thought it tasted good, he'd save the seeds. Somewhere in the late 80's early 90's maybe he stopped growing. Well fast forward 30 years, it became legal to grow where he lives now, he busted those out of who knows where and started planting. Some didn't germinate and some did. Does anyone have a feel for what the strains would have been back then? I'm assuming it was far more limited than what's around today. Less crossbreeding? Short of sending them off to be tested is it possible to even really "know" what it is? I actually have to head that way for work so I might try and pick some up.
There are people here who will be able to help you figure out what they are.

What science is finding out is the effects of cannabis are about a whole lot more than just thc.

dusty68

dusty68

Some popular strains in the 70's and 80's were Panama Red, Columbian (Columbo), Columbian Gold, Jamaican Red, Acapulco Gold, and plain Mexican brick weed which was just compressed during dry, cure, and for smuggling. The only one of those strains I see around now is Acapulco Gold from Seedsman. Bought some on Black Friday and hoping to get started after the current grows are ready for harvest.
Ian,

Top Bottom