First DWC. overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives

• Thread starter User59204626117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
User59204626117

User59204626117

first DWC setup. I got clones from a friend.

I mixed my General Hydroponics nutrients in a solo cup, no water. I then poured that into the reservoir. I mixed a plus b and made c. I then poured C into the res. bad idea.

it chunked up in 24 hours.

I then drained all water and did a full flush and bleach clean.

I think im good to go now as ive mixed the nutrients correctly.

this is where it gets confusing. ive got people telling me to get Enzyme Komplete (which I did), h202 (store didnt have) and pool shock (store didnt have). what do I need to add to my arsenal and why? all I have is nutrients.

I have no idea what these chemicals are. why theyre needed. when theyre needed. and what to mix and not mix.

with my luck I will combine two hydroponic marijuana products and end up making mustard gas in my basement.

im running at 650ppm nutrients and 20-21c for water. 68-71f for water. not sure my PH as my meter hasnt shown up yet.

this is very intimidating.

First dwc overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives
First dwc overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives 2
First dwc overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives 3
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Welcome to THC,
Are you sure light can't get throw it?
is there enough air mixed with the rez water? in other words is there air stones in there, cuz that's a lot of build up
Enzyme break down dead roots and other organic matters, unused nutrients and it gets transformed into materials that the plant use. can we see some pictures of the plant and their roots

User59204626117

User59204626117

Thank you

I don’t think much light can get to it. The res is outside of the tent

I seem to have a small film developing again after 24 hours. I only used 10ml of enzymes for 15 gallons of water

At first I had four air stones. One per bucket. I was told that roots will eventually plug them. So I moved two air stones to the res.

The plants were in soil and I washed the soil off and put them into clay balls so the roots are rough right now and plants aren’t happy as they went from soil to a failing hydro setup.

92550917 DFE2 4D54 A353 086DB363E600
AA4F7BA0 1941 42DA A738 238C7034DE9A
A8EDA1B8 C64F 4268 85D7 00440178C5EB
User59204626117

User59204626117

This was when I washed soil off. I’m not sure if they’re gotten any better or happier in the last 3 days that’s for sure.

E6095F23 8199 44A0 A598 6827BD33B31F
PK1

PK1

Supporter
it's not a good idea to have a plant that was in soil put into hydro. The roots are not grown for hydro and the plant will keep leaching nutrients. i say this from experience as i've done it too.

ok so you are running a rdwc setup. three buckets inside the tent and the toet is outside of the tent?
i see the hoses going from the toet to the buckets but i don't see a return. Is the rez water going back to the tote?
are the air stones in the tote or are they inside the black buckets in the tent?
Do the buckets in the tent hold water?
when you pick up the black lid do you see the roots grown out of the pibbles?

User59204626117

User59204626117

Four buckets in the tent going to my res outside.

they all drain back into the reservoir and are top fed with a drip line

I have 4 air stones. They were 1 per bucket. I was told I need air in my res so I stole from two buckets. I’ve now got 2 air stones in the res.

I need another pump and 2 more air stones now.

yes the buckets in the tent hold water. About 4-6” worth. I can adjust this by raising my res height right?

there are no roots yet. The grow is only 3 days old.

I got some clones in dirt and washed the soil off and transplanted to hydro. First feeding was a disaster and waste of time. So the plants are struggling right now I’ll admit. Not dead yet though.

User59204626117

User59204626117

This might help make more sense. (Looks like one air stone fell off the line)

PK1

PK1

Supporter
ya, your plants aren't looking happy because the roots aren't getting what they were used too.

why is there water in the buckets inside the tent, If the tote is watering the plant?
This might help make more sense. (Looks like one air stone fell off the line)
i only see a white screen on the video.

User59204626117

User59204626117

ya, your plants aren't looking happy because the roots aren't getting what they were used too.

why is there water in the buckets inside the tent. If the tote is watering the plant the water

i only see a white screen on the video.

I thought the water should always be about 1” below the mesh pots?

How do I get the buckets to drain more? The buckets need to be higher or the res needs to be lower? Maybe my drain lines need to be bigger?

I figured that water in the buckets will eventually be for the big dangling roots. There is also an air stone in there

I’m new to this. I’m sure im making a ton of mistakes.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
RDWC = RDWC hydroponics systems (Recirculating Deep Water Culture) are an improved or “hybrid”way to grow crops versus static DWC (Deep Water Culture Systems). ... Plants grown in hydroponics, especially RDWC have unburdened access to water, oxygen and plant nutrients.

DWC = Deep water culture (DWC) is a hydroponic method of plant production by means of suspending the plant roots in a solution of nutrient-rich, oxygenated water. ... Typically, DWC is used to grow short-term, non-fruiting crops such as leafy greens and herbs.

Your RDWC needs to have a return line. All your air stones, pumps and everything should be in rez. Keep rez temps 18c/20c
use enzymes like hydroguard or z9/z7 depending where you live and mix that with the rez. Follow the instructions as nutrients first, ph 2nd and then enzyme.

Never, take a plant from soil and than wash it to put it into a hydroponic. You can take a clone from a plant in soil and make that clone a hydroponic but not the plant that is in soil.

With rdwc you need to make sure your pipes don't leak! i've seen people use 1" pvc pipe for return lines and half inch for feeding lines.

User59204626117

User59204626117

So I can’t have a hybrid of DWC and RDWC? I think I’m aiming for the best of both worlds here.

I was planning on having everything in my res and then a bonus airstone in each bucket too. There’s where I’m confused.

Does the video work yet?

User59204626117

User59204626117

I see a flood in the making.

Those lines are going to plug up with roots at the bottom and you'll be pumping water on the top

what is the fix? How do you stop roots from plugging lines?

The guy at the hydro store sold me this entire setup and it’s kind of a Mickey Mouse beginner setup.

Now that I see how it works, I’m almost ready to upgrade everything after only 4 days. Ugh

PK1

PK1

Supporter
So I can’t have a hybrid of DWC and RDWC? I think I’m aiming for the best of both worlds here.

I was planning on having everything in my res and then a bonus airstone in each bucket too. There’s where I’m confused.

Does the video work yet?
ya, the video worked now. I guess it was just uploading it.

I dont think the setup you bought is bad, might need some upgrades but will see.

How often is the pump turning on to water the plant?
one of the buckets had massive amount of foam, any idea why?

to have more water flow you need bigger pipes, but i am not sure if that is your issue as i grow in DWC
is the water temp in the tote the same as in the black buckets in the tent?

Update:
how often does the pump turn on and for how long?

Last edited:
Badchoice

Badchoice

I

The guy at the hydro store sold me this entire setup and it’s kind of a Mickey Mouse beginner setup.

Now that I see how it works, I’m almost ready to upgrade everything after only 4 days. Ugh
To be fair on one point for beginner start into hydro thats kindof past that. A single DWC bucket is a lot better beginner step into hydro.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Bigger return lines. 2" min

PK1

PK1

Supporter

you can put some sort of mesh or something in front so that the roots don't plug the hole

User59204626117

User59204626117

Well hopefully I have this figured out quickly! I’ve got nothing but time. I feel like im close. few minor tweaks and it should be figured. or am I failing horribly here so far?

the pump runs and drips on the roots (I think it hits the roots) 24/7. why do I need top feed? someone said as long as its waterfalling into the water, making oxygen like a fish tank, then im good (when the plants are bigger and older of course)

that bucket has foam because the air stone was actually attached. the first bucket would of had foam if the air stone was attached, thats normal from Enzyme Komplete I was told (it says 8ml per gallon. I used 1ml per gallon). those rear buckets drain the worst since they all go into a 4 way cross which im sure restricts flow.

I also need to raise my buckets for more head pressure to drain more right?

Top Bottom