First DWC. overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives

• Thread starter User59204626117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hydroguard and komplete is the route im taking as well as h202. someone said pool shock too.

looks like I will have to change up my fertilizing techniques.

what is the silica? I dont have that one TBH. no armor si in my lineup. its just cal mag, the trio, and then a few other little add ons. I just dont get why it keeps chunking up. its not because I used cold water vs room temp water?
Do not add pool shock nor h202... they will kill the beneficial bacteria in the hydrogaurd.

Ok sorry thought you said armor si. So just the gh trio and 1 gram per gal of mag sulfate... room temp water and see how it goes. Ph down to 5 6-6.0

User59204626117

User59204626117

hmmm. if im gonna have to flush and bleach and clean and re do everything (just to have it chunk up again tomorrow) then I think im going back to soil. this is extremely frustrating and ive already lugged around and wasted like 100 gallons of water this weekend so far.

I didnt think it was this critical and complicated with temps and chemicals and bacterias and stuff I cant even see or pronounce. I just dont get why it went wrong the second time, I followed every direction properly. unless a few degrees and few extra, normal, nutrients somehow caused this?? very frustrating. this isnt fun.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
hmmm. if im gonna have to flush and bleach and clean and re do everything (just to have it chunk up again tomorrow) then I think im going back to soil. this is extremely frustrating and ive already lugged around and wasted like 100 gallons of water this weekend so far.

I didnt think it was this critical and complicated with temps and chemicals and bacterias and stuff I cant even see or pronounce. I just dont get why it went wrong the second time, I followed every direction properly. unless a few degrees and few extra, normal, nutrients somehow caused this?? very frustrating. this isnt fun.

My first round of dwc became a nightmare that i switched to soil just to learn the plant. DWC is actully fun and after my first round of nightmare i learned allot. Now i've got it working and am following what i've learned.

Don't give up, it sounds difficult but its easy

Badchoice

Badchoice

hydroguard and komplete is the route im taking as well as h202. someone said pool shock too.

looks like I will have to change up my fertilizing techniques.

what is the silica? I dont have that one TBH. no armor si in my lineup. its just cal mag, the trio, and then a few other little add ons. I just dont get why it keeps chunking up. its not because I used cold water vs room temp water?
The amr si is a 0/0/4 silica well super shot, labeled as a plant enchament and growth helper along with help against shock temp and etc. does crazy too the ph when added but is a good thing to have in hydro, helps the plant grow them nice thick stalks and branches to support the bud weight.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
just to add to @Badchoice explanation, you also don't want to clean to much as you would be cleaning the beneficial bacteria

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The sediment may just be from chelates. Its only frustrating because you are not prepared if im honest. A bit of reading beforehand and some questions, you would probably have been off to the races. Now your playing catchup behind the 8 ball. It has nothing to do with soil vs hydro and has everything to do with being prepared.

I'm not bashing on ya just calling it the way it is. Plenty in the same shoes. Learning takes time and if ya don't stick to something you won't learn to do it.

Are you positive that sediment is causing you issues? I get some in my res from nutrients also. Its an issue when its actual precipitate. But some sediment from chelates, diatoms, bacteria are all part of hydro. Same things as soil you just can't see it through the mud.

Take a few sit down and relax.... make the steps to correct it and see how it goes. Your first grow is all about learning. The only people that have a very successful forst grow are those that spent time learning, planning and asking questions before they started to grow. If you make it to harvest then you have accomplished the main goal... get a grow to harvest and then improve on what you have learned.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Don’t give up, like I said before you kindof went big time into hydro off rip were as a single DWC or bubble or mister whatever could have been easier to control and get your feet wet to understanding hydro.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

first DWC setup. I got clones from a friend.

I mixed my General Hydroponics nutrients in a solo cup, no water. I then poured that into the reservoir. I mixed a plus b and made c. I then poured C into the res. bad idea.

it chunked up in 24 hours.

I then drained all water and did a full flush and bleach clean.

I think im good to go now as ive mixed the nutrients correctly.

this is where it gets confusing. ive got people telling me to get Enzyme Komplete (which I did), h202 (store didnt have) and pool shock (store didnt have). what do I need to add to my arsenal and why? all I have is nutrients.

I have no idea what these chemicals are. why theyre needed. when theyre needed. and what to mix and not mix.

with my luck I will combine two hydroponic marijuana products and end up making mustard gas in my basement.

im running at 650ppm nutrients and 20-21c for water. 68-71f for water. not sure my PH as my meter hasnt shown up yet.

this is very intimidating.
Throw all that general hydro stuff away, go on amazon and order advance nutrients ph perfect grow, micro, bloom and try again. Its about $45 and really seriously works. No ph problems, have ran as long as 2 weeks without changing water with it. All that confusion will go away. Plants love it, they do really well. Follow instructions to the letter and you will be suprised how easy it makes life. I run DWC also, homemade system but just upgraded to a root spa system. Seriously, try the fertiliser.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Throw all that general hydro stuff away, go on amazon and order advance nutrients ph perfect grow, micro, bloom and try again. Its about $45 and really seriously works. No ph problems, have ran as long as 2 weeks without changing water with it. All that confusion will go away. Plants love it, they do really well. Follow instructions to the letter and you will be suprised how easy it makes life. I run DWC also, homemade system but just upgraded to a root spa system. Seriously, try the fertiliser.
Honestly its not a bad idea if he can. I absolutely despise these nutrients but for an absolutely new grower behind the 8ball and not understanding ppm,ph,nutrient ratios,alkalinity and all those things it will take some of the learning curve out of it for him.

I dont think its to much to use the gh trio and 1 gram of epsom salt then lean to properly ph adjust is to much for him though.

The real issue here is how they all got started.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Per
Well hopefully I have this figured out quickly! I’ve got nothing but time. I feel like im close. few minor tweaks and it should be figured. or am I failing horribly here so far?

the pump runs and drips on the roots (I think it hits the roots) 24/7. why do I need top feed? someone said as long as its waterfalling into the water, making oxygen like a fish tank, then im good (when the plants are bigger and older of course)

that bucket has foam because the air stone was actually attached. the first bucket would of had foam if the air stone was attached, thats normal from Enzyme Komplete I was told (it says 8ml per gallon. I used 1ml per gallon). those rear buckets drain the worst since they all go into a 4 way cross which im sure restricts flow.

I also need to raise my buckets for more head pressure to drain more right?
Personally, i would do away with the tote and the top feed. Turn those drain lines into sight guages on the side of the bucket, airstone each bucket or just straight air line with no stone works to. Just go straight DWC. Those nutrients from advance nutrients i mentioned in my earlier post would easy your headache and simplfy things for you.

User59204626117

User59204626117

I have 11L jugs of GH stuff thats like 1.5 years worth so im kinda stuck with it.

its been awesome in my soil grows. but just seems slow. my buddy in hydro has grown 3x mine has in dirt in the last two weeks.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

Honestly its not a bad idea if he can. I absolutely despise these nutrients but for an absolutely new grower behind the 8ball and not understanding ppm,ph,nutrient ratios,alkalinity and all those things it will take some of the learning curve out of it for him.

I dont think its to much to use the gh trio and 1 gram of epsom salt then lean to properly ph adjust is to much for him though.

The real issue here is how they all got started.
Yeah starting in soil then switching wasnt a good idea. The root MAT of DWC is much much different than soil grown roots. I use the nutes i use because im not always able to be near my plants, i work alot, and im positive i could grow some badder asser weed (lol) with maybe some humbolts best or somethimg, but im only trying to impress me with what i grow.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

I have 11L jugs of GH stuff thats like 1.5 years worth so im kinda stuck with it.

its been awesome in my soil grows. but just seems slow. my buddy in hydro has grown 3x mine has in dirt in the last two weeks.
The roots in DWC are amazing compared to soil. My plants had more roots than my wife has hair and she has hair down to her ass. The plants grow much much faster in DWC. Ive seen nearly 7 inches in 24 hrs on the last autoflower super silver hazes i grew. You will love DWC omce you get it right but i would seriously get rid of the top feed and the tote. Are those 5 gallon buckets? Looks like 8 or 10 inch pot lids? That 5 gallon bucket will hold enough for a week. And getting rid of the connection between all the buckets (the tote) eliminates the chance that if something goes wrong with 1 plant, it doesnt go thru the whole system and all your plantz

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

"I mixed my General Hydroponics nutrients in a solo cup, no water. I then poured that into the reservoir ... it chunked up in 24 hours"

It likely chunked up because GH Flora 3 part has to be mixed in a certain order & never mixed together

Didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if you've already found this out good luck

User59204626117

User59204626117

maybe my cloudy chunky water isnt bad but it sure looks gross and seems to eventually cause havoc in my dinky little drip lines.

5 gallon buckets with 8" pots I believe. I wanted to go big on most of my stuff.

it sounds good to get them in individual, isolated buckets (basically just DWC) but how do they get fed for now with no roots dangling out?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

maybe my cloudy chunky water isnt bad but it sure looks gross and seems to eventually cause havoc in my dinky little drip lines.

5 gallon buckets with 8" pots I believe. I wanted to go big on most of my stuff.

it sounds good to get them in individual, isolated buckets (basically just DWC) but how do they get fed for now with no roots dangling out?
Enzymes will help clear the lines.

Reactions: PK1
Badchoice

Badchoice

Not a fan of the bigger net cups to many pellets to cover light leaking and just seems like a hassle to my self. I run 6” on my DWC and general hydro trio with no no probs anymore after aquas helps lol.

User59204626117

User59204626117

I think these are 10" now that I look. maybe bigger wasnt better.

should I add more enzymes? im scared to overdo it as i dont know what they are and were kind of expensive.. hate wasting this stuff.

it called for 8ml per gallon. I only added 1ml per gallon or so.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I think these are 10" now that I look. maybe bigger wasnt better.

should I add more enzymes? im scared to overdo it as i dont know what they are and were kind of expensive.. hate wasting this stuff.

it called for 8ml per gallon. I only added 1ml per gallon or so.
what is your total volume of water?

Top Bottom