First DWC. overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives

• Thread starter User59204626117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
i gotta agree with @Badchoice lol, love you username dude. bad choice but i've seen you only give honest true feedbacks. lol!

why not just use sulfur acid/battery acid and call it a day? you'll have allot more stable ph and you don't have to worry about the amount of bottles you are dealing with.
yup. and don't let anyone cry about "would you drink that?! it's for car batteries!!" fuck that, no one would drink an acid like that period. it's the most stable pH buffer I've ever used, and it has added benefits such as influencing terp profiles in late flower because of the added sulfur ions. Whereas GH pH down is a combo of phosphoric and citric acid, and I don't feel is as stable.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
yup. and don't let anyone cry about "would you drink that?! it's for car batteries!!" fuck that, no one would drink an acid like that period. it's the most stable pH buffer I've ever used, and it has added benefits such as influencing terp profiles in late flower because of the added sulfur ions. Whereas GH pH down is a combo of phosphoric and citric acid, and I don't feel is as stable.

i agree, you mentioned you read my diary and in there i mention that i use sulfuric acid for ph down. Me and aquaman also had a conversation about this.
I was just agreeing with badchoice to the sense that for new grower in hydro, all those bottles can be overwhelming. Hence why i suggested to just get a battery and empty the acid.

User59204626117

User59204626117

Damn. So this ph down is wrong too. Not wrong but just adds to my complication and confusion. God damnit.

I’m not sure if that standard hydroponics ph down is even doing anything, or I gotta use half the bottle.

and I didn’t wait 10 mins and mechanically blend/agitate the entire time I mixed my nutrients. Is making my water for the res really gonna take an hour? I just did it in order and gave it a quick hand mix with a spoon. Fml

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i agree, you mentioned you read my diary and in there i mention that i use sulfuric acid for ph down. Me and aquaman also had a conversation about this.
I was just agreeing with badchoice to the sense that for new grower in hydro, all those bottles can be overwhelming. Hence why i suggested to just get a battery and empty the acid.
I guess the quote was cross-talk. I was responding to the OP, using your response as leverage :D

Now, DON'T do that. DO NOT DRAIN A BATTERY FOR THE ACID!!! You'll end up with a lead contaminated fluid. Quick auto part lesson. The reason car batteries last so long is because they have lead plates and a high concentrate sulfuric acid solution in them. The acid decays the lead, and that releases electrons at the chemical level. This in turn is made available via the terminals to turn your car's engine over. As a biproduct of this process, lead sulfates are introduced into the acidic bath the plates live in.

Go to an auto part store and ask for sulfuric acid. They keep it behind the counter, might ask for an ID as, well, it's a serious chemical that not many people are asking for (except maybe motorcyclists, because their new batteries are purchased dry).

User59204626117

User59204626117

Why does that silica up say it’s a ph adjuster? I just noticed that. I told him I wanted something like power.si or armour.si but something I could use in my reservoir. I wanted some type of silica in my line and he said that’s the best. He had everything there it seemed.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Damn. So this ph down is wrong too. Not wrong but just adds to my complication and confusion. God damnit.

I’m not sure if that standard hydroponics ph down is even doing anything, or I gotta use half the bottle.

and I didn’t wait 10 mins and mechanically blend/agitate the entire time I mixed my nutrients. Is making my water for the res really gonna take an hour? I just did it in order and gave it a quick hand mix with a spoon. Fml
My res change outs take an hour, so yes, it will. Get a small pond pump, set up a venturi. Check out my thread for what that looks like. It'll save your arms, unless you tryin to get swole bruh. The added benefit is you can eliminate air stones that are notorious for raising pH. Add silica, wait 15min, pH down to 6.5 (this takes time too -- I start at 10ml/9gal of solution and let it mix for 10min, and proceed every five min with 2-3ml until I hit target), add part A, wait 5min, add part B, wait 5min, rinse repeat until done.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Why does that silica up say it’s a ph adjuster? I just noticed that. I told him I wanted something like power.si or armour.si but something I could use in my reservoir. I wanted some type of silica in my line and he said that’s the best. He had everything there it seemed.
Because it is. The first time you use it, you'll see why it's regarded as such. If you add it at the recommended levels, your res will peak out near pH 10. It's a pH buffer by nature.

User59204626117

User59204626117

Fuck me, I’m so over this. I honestly don’t know if I have the patience and discipline for hydro if that’s the case. This is just getting insane and isn’t worth it anymore. It’s not fun and is now cheaper to buy legally from the store.

I really appreciate all the help guys but I don’t think I’m gonna spend too much time of effort with this hydro stuff. Way too complicated and finicky. If I was gonna be this hardcore with the chemist stuff I’d make lsd or something fancy.

I don’t have the time and money for this and if I ever had to leave for a 2 weeks shift up north and got my 65 year old mom to take over a feeding or two would be almost impossible.

Maybe soil isn’t so bad afterall.

• Haha
tobh

tobh

Supporter
Fuck me, I’m so over this. I honestly don’t know if I have the patience and discipline for hydro if that’s the case. This is just getting insane and isn’t worth it anymore. It’s not fun and is now cheaper to buy legally from the store.

I really appreciate all the help guys but I don’t think I’m gonna spend too much time of effort with this hydro stuff. Way too complicated and finicky. If I was gonna be this hardcore with the chemist stuff I’d make lsd or something fancy.

I don’t have the time and money for this and if I ever had to leave for a 2 weeks shift up north and got my 65 year old mom to take over a feeding or two would be almost impossible.

There's a lot to consider yes, and it's super disheartening when shit goes sideways. But don't give up man. You're not in a terrible spot yet. The attractions to hydro are numerous and the returns can be incredible when things turn out positively. Consider it a learning curve right now, a rather steep one.

If you're dead set on throwing in the towel on hydro, do soilless for a while. Coco or promix. I'd recommend coco as you'll have the ease of soil with the benefits of hydro, whereas promix is more soil-like, without the same benefits of coco. The nice thing about coco is you can refine your hydro techniques without all the fuckery that hydro entails.

I'd love to see you finish this run though. Hiccups happen. You've got what you need. Just taper down on your other nutes by 25% with the pH down you bought today. You'll get through man.

Badchoice

Badchoice

i gotta agree with @Badchoice lol, love you username dude. bad choice but i've seen you only give honest true feedbacks. lol!

why not just use sulfur acid/battery acid and call it a day? you'll have allot more stable ph and you don't have to worry about the amount of bottles you are dealing with.
Thank it helps me understand we’re ive come from and tried to over come hence my bad choices 🙂 plus its a nice run on joke from Xbox.... and I just wanna help everyone hit the same goal as what I would guess the rest of us want to get smokeables with are own twist. One reason I love cannabis, all 4 of us could grow the same exact strain from the same breeder but their will always be differences either it be nutes, water, environment, experience whatever.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Don’t give up man telling ya hydro can produce amazing crops, just gotta get your feet wet before jumping in the pool naked ya know lol... maybe down grade to just one DWC and work up from their, no reason to waste all those nutes and stuff bought. And maybe do some soils as well see what fits you and create your own “”style.

User59204626117

User59204626117

I’ve got a few soil grows under my belt. Just seems that hydro is faster. I don’t need speed that bad though.

the hydro plants are looking better though. I’m gonna give it a few more days and go from there but this really is way more complicated and intricate than I figured.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
it just looks complicated because you are taking the long road. Get your information first before buying, drop pictures of the product here so members can give you their 2cents. Your just mad cuz you got sold too with products that can be little bit tough to adhere to as a beginner.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
You're on the better part of the learning curve now man. You got this. Go smoke a doob, relax for a day or two, and re-evaluate.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
it just looks complicated because you are taking the long road. Get your information first before buying, drop pictures of the product here so members can give you their 2cents. Your just mad cuz you got sold too with products that can be little bit tough to adhere to as a beginner.
^^^ this 100x. The hydro store dudes need to cover costs. They see a new guy coming in, and hustle em on shit that isn't necessarily proper for their understanding or skill level. That's why the best hydro guys i know still run two part base salt nutes, silica, and maybe a pk booster. "industry standard" ph buffers, and that's it. everything else is just a gimmick, with the exception of enzymes and beneficial bacteria or some sterilizing agent.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I guess the quote was cross-talk. I was responding to the OP, using your response as leverage :D

Now, DON'T do that. DO NOT DRAIN A BATTERY FOR THE ACID!!! You'll end up with a lead contaminated fluid. Quick auto part lesson. The reason car batteries last so long is because they have lead plates and a high concentrate sulfuric acid solution in them. The acid decays the lead, and that releases electrons at the chemical level. This in turn is made available via the terminals to turn your car's engine over. As a biproduct of this process, lead sulfates are introduced into the acidic bath the plates live in.

Go to an auto part store and ask for sulfuric acid. They keep it behind the counter, might ask for an ID as, well, it's a serious chemical that not many people are asking for (except maybe motorcyclists, because their new batteries are purchased dry).
lol bro, looks like we have our differences. I'm not trying to argue with you but some places an individual can't just purchase battery acid. Hell i tried it with different methods. also, i did it and if you follow the instructions correctly, nothing will happen and you'll end up with ton of free sulfuric acid.
but then again Safety First!

PK1

PK1

Supporter
^^^ this 100x. The hydro store dudes need to cover costs. They see a new guy coming in, and hustle em on shit that isn't necessarily proper for their understanding or skill level. That's why the best hydro guys i know still run two part base salt nutes, silica, and maybe a pk booster. "industry standard" ph buffers, and that's it. everything else is just a gimmick, with the exception of enzymes and beneficial bacteria or some sterilizing agent.
There is saying " people don't like to be sold too, but they love to buy" -Jeffery Gitomer

tobh

tobh

Supporter
lol bro, looks like we have our differences. I'm not trying to argue with you but some places an individual can't just purchase battery acid. Hell i tried it with different methods. also, i did it and if you follow the instructions correctly, nothing will happen and you'll end up with ton of free sulfuric acid.
but then again Safety First!
without a gas chromatograph, we will never know the lead concentrations in the acid extracted ;) hell, i'm pretty sure amazon sells it. there are sources. buy a motorcycle, you'll have justification for the credit card charge haha

PK1

PK1

Supporter
without a gas chromatograph, we will never know the lead concentrations in the acid extracted ;) hell, i'm pretty sure amazon sells it. there are sources. buy a motorcycle, you'll have justification for the credit card charge haha
When there is a will, there is a way and credit card isn't one of them 😁

Top Bottom