First DWC. overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives

• Thread starter User59204626117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PK1

PK1

Supporter
ok keep your ph pen in your ph 4.01 solution and grab the screwdriver that came with the ph pen and adjust the number to 4.01
However, you have to make sure that you are following the instructions on the packaging. Temperature and volume of water matters for calibration.
Once the number settles on 4.01 then you are golden.

update:
i just read the post that you mentioned that it doesn't have a screw in the hole. That's odd?

Autumn

Autumn

I just went through this...

- The earlier cheap PH pens used a little calibration screw (mine sat dry for a couple of years and would drift aimlessly after trying to calibrate recently)
- The current cheap PH pens are generally "self calibrating" (ie, place in calib fluid (eg 4.01) @ 25C (77F); press and hold cal button 3 seconds; leave in cal fluid 'til turn off time out. Repeat with 6.86. Then do both once more, rinsing in distilled between. That's as good as you can get with a cheap pen. BTW, 25C/77F is key)
- Save your cal fluids in clean + rinsed sealed containers; store in dark cool place. Use to check pen calibration, plus see below
- Cut a little piece of kitchen sponge to line the bottom of your PH pen cap with. Rinse/wring in distilled, then soak in 6.86 fluid. Keep your pen upright and sponge wet when not using

(Hope this helps. Yeah, the chemistry and busy work is a bit overwhelming to me too, but seems like PH - plus RH and Temp - are the key things)

User59204626117

User59204626117

Will do that tomorrow after it’s soak. Thank you very much.

I just added 5ml of the good ph down. The 0/55/0 stuff. I think that may of been a tad much now. Hard to tell with the strips. I’ll have a more accurate number tomorrow.

So you’re telling me that with these 14 bottles of nutrients that I got that this ph down is the magical one that will really make allllllll the difference?

before and after adding 5ml to 15 gallons pics.

6C6D9EA2 9B2A 4A22 A47D 998BBFF18018
B82F1085 EC0F 48A7 92BE E98D40D87A6A
7DE242B3 A450 40DB 8711 E101CC677830
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Will do that tomorrow after it’s soak. Thank you very much.

I just added 5ml of the good ph down. The 0/55/0 stuff. I think that may of been a tad much now. Hard to tell with the strips. I’ll have a more accurate number tomorrow.

So you’re telling me that with these 14 bottles of nutrients that I got that this ph down is the magical one that will really make allllllll the difference?

before and after adding 5ml to 15 gallons pics.
No such thing as a magical bottle. It is however a good ph down. Once you get some number on ph swing we can adjust the alkalinity of the water if needed but I doubt it.

What 15 bottles do you have? That far to many imo

User59204626117

User59204626117

Cal mag
Flora Micro
Flora grow
flora bloom
Liquid kool bloom
Floracious plus
Silicate up
Florablend
Flora nectar
Dry kool bloom
Rezin
H202
Enzymes
Ph down

And basically all of those work like shit if it wasn’t for a few drops of the ph down eh. The real superstar here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cal mag
Flora Micro
Flora grow
flora bloom
Liquid kool bloom
Floracious plus
Silicate up
Florablend
Flora nectar
Dry kool bloom
Rezin
H202
Enzymes
Ph down

And basically all of those work like shit if it wasn’t for a few drops of the ph down eh. The real superstar here.
Thats a recipe for disaster bro....

Just the gh 3 part and maybe silica. Plus enzymes, ph down and h202.

Way to much going on there... like way way to much.... especially with a first grow. I can promise it won't end well if you use all those

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Cal mag
Flora Micro
Flora grow
flora bloom
Liquid kool bloom
Floracious plus
Silicate up
Florablend
Flora nectar
Dry kool bloom
Rezin
H202
Enzymes
Ph down

Think of it like learning to juggle. You wanna start with 15 balls? go right ahead. You can 100% do it ...but your almost guaranteed it's going to take a lot longer and be way more frustrating than starting with 3. 👍

Last edited:
Badchoice

Badchoice

Cal mag
Flora Micro
Flora grow
flora bloom
Liquid kool bloom
Floracious plus
Silicate up
Florablend
Flora nectar
Dry kool bloom
Rezin
H202
Enzymes
Ph down

I find my self using a 5gal DWC I do 3 gallons of nutes. I always start with tap water 110 for me than;
Amr si 1ml per gal stir and shake a lot, than adjust ph
Hydro guard 2ml per gal shake
Cal mag 2ml per gal shake
GH micro 1/4 str so if 5ml I’ll do 1.5 shake
GH grow 1/2 str shake
GH bloom 1/2 str shake
Always shake and stir after adding each in, yes it’s a lot of shaking but good for your forearms lol than I
Liquid karma 1ml
And two drops of yucca extract
Final ph adjust
I score 550ppm 1.3EC and 5.7 PH in bloom weeks its little higher I’m up 650/700
and my res is always falling I can get my ph static around 5.7 to 5.9 and PPM falling.

so play around with your nutes and learn what can work for you come mixing and feeding and etc and try to keep a written record of pen read outs so you can kindof line graph it with your eyes and see what’s moving and what’s static.

amekins

amekins

Soak in in the ph solution for 24 hrs then try it again. It may be faulty but its nothing you did. It probably sat dry for a long time before shipping. Send it back if ya can.
Would you have concerns about it being in an acidic solution in a plastic solo cup?

amekins

amekins

Nope not nearly acidic enough to eat the cup.
4.01 isn’t? Any idea what that threshold is for non HDPE? (And in doing some reading it may be because of plastic‘s molecular composition and structure. Working with lye solutions for soap making, plastic cups that aren’t HDPE are an issue.)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

4.01 isn’t? Any idea what that threshold is for non HDPE? (And in doing some reading it may be because of plastic‘s molecular composition and structure. Working with lye solutions for soap making, plastic cups that aren’t HDPE are an issue.)
Isn't lye caustic? Like high ph?

4 is about as acidic as juice.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Isn't lye caustic? Like high ph?

4 is about as acidic as juice.
yes, a lye solution is 14 pH. as basic as it gets.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Extech ph100 soilstick.....im not going to say it again! Lol..kidding aside. Buy one!!!

Flat probe non refillable...yay! Calibration simple!! Is that a wall in front of me

Top Bottom