First DWC. overwhelmed with names and chemicals and additives

• Thread starter User59204626117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also if ya find a good strain clones are free 😁 so you can cut costs there. Switching to dry ferts cut a ton of costs there. Reusable pots cut costs there, do a few grows like that and you just can't not make your money back in product.

Keep it simple and things always work better. Many products are just not worth the gains and often lead to issues.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Kelp 4 Less?
Right now im using mega crop 2 part in coco and adding some mag sulfate because im using tap and its higher in calcium than magnesium. Using some raw microbes but there are many cheaper options. I did add massive this go but you need to tweak the nutrients if using it... not a must but so far I like it.

Jacks, mega crop 2 part, many others out there that are all just as good.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’ve heard good things about mega crop too. Shame I’ve got over a years worth of GH stuff.
Hey it all works... I wouldn't switch until you use it up... just cheaper to go with dry ferts. Mega crop is about $0.03 per gal. I think the GH 3 part only is around $0.30 per gal.

But like I say they all work.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It’s funny because a guy that I talk to before coming here is doing the same. Hardcore hydro guy using mega crop that’s also going to coco next round. So you guys are onto something.
If you have an autofeed and drain system.... its just stupid easy... mix nutes every few days to a week depending on res size and thats it. Just don't fuck with timers when your high or drunk and your golden lol. High frequency low volume feeds. I honestly don't feel it get much easier.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Just the nature of the media. It has a ridiculously high air to water retention capacity, and roots seemingly consume the media. It's also nearly impossible to overwater (never heard of overwatering in coco), and will easily tolerate very short fertigation intervals. Since it's a soil additive, it's also easy for a soil grower to transition to something that will tolerate hydro techniques without diving off the deep end into RDWC or the like.

The plant growth rates are comparable to hydro, the stability is convenient should things go sideways for whatever reason, and it's incredibly economical. It's also ecologically friendly as the coir breaks down, so you're not dumping inert media into a landfill like with hydroton or rockwool.

Overall, it's probably the most user-friendly media on the market.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Why is it so much better? What’s the difference?
The W in DTW. "Waste" water is the biggest obstacle in DWC, it being recirculating you constantly have to adjust.

Plus, coco acts like soil supporting the roots but with waaay better oxygen exchange especially in fabric pots It's very forgiving that way.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why is it so much better? What’s the difference?
It's just forgiving and has good growth rates almost impossible to over water if mixed with adequate perlite depend on pot size. Very versatile.. can feed bennies separate so you don't have to deal with them in the res. If its autofeed and drain its like almost 0 work.

Its just overall a productive, easy way to grow and thats coming from the laziest person on here.

User59204626117

User59204626117

So it’s just half ways between soil and hydro?

All the hydroton does is provide a mechanical means to support the roots. Same with soil really. Just finer. It can also hold a bit of water too. I’d imagine you can grow in pure perlite too? Or marbles? Or golf balls on a large scale, Gravel, bucket of ball bearings? It’s the same as the hydroton really isn’t it?

so coco is the exact same as soil? Fabric pots. No pumps and water lines and reservoirs and bacteria’s and enzymes and microbes and water temps and running water and chillers and and and and and??

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So it’s just half ways between soil and hydro?

All the hydro pellets do is provide a mechanical means to support the roots. Same with soil really. Just finer. It can also hold a bit of water too

so coco is the exact same as soil? Fabric pots. No pumps and water lines and reservoirs and bacteria’s and enzymes and microbes and and and and and??
You still benefit from bennies and enzymes... any grow will... bit no its not like soil and closer to hydro... its classed as soiless.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would focus on this grow and do some research. Read some journals and ask questions to see if its something you wanna do... there are also different ways of growing in it. But you pretty much already have an autofeed and the drain is not much to setup.

Stugots

Stugots

Wow, It took me 2 days to finally get through this thread but I’m finally here. I made it. I had a question I think on page 3 and was like naahhh I’ll just keep reading in case it got answered along the way.... Glad I did because ya’ll are a knowledgeable bunch lol. Damn guys, a lot of great info here.

Circling back to the Silica. After I mix it in thoroughly, should I pH to 6.5 and then wait an hour (everyone has a different waiting time) before I mix my in cal-mag/micro etc? Or add silica, wait and hour, then ph before adding the rest. Also, what if you over shoot to let’s say 5.5? I’m guessing as long as you’re in the range of 5.5-6.5 you’re fine. 100% this is what I was doing wrong and was causing precipitation and calcium issues.

Sorry if this is worded weird; I guess the real question here is does the Silica mix with the water regardless of pH? And it’s calcium and the other nutrients that are sensitive and require the water to be more acidic in order to bond and not precipitate?

User59204626117

User59204626117

Props to you for reading all my ramblings and dumb questions haha.

my water is 8.0 right from the tap.

when I add my silica it brings the ph to 10!!!

I then add 1ml/gal of a potent ph down and it gets me to 6.2 or so.

then I add the cal mag.

good question on the ph though. I also don’t let it sit for an hour. Maybe 2-3 mins

Stugots

Stugots

Props to you for reading all my ramblings and dumb questions haha.

my water is 8.0 right from the tap.

when I add my silica it brings the ph to 10!!!

I then add 1ml/gal of a potent ph down and it gets me to 6.2 or so.

then I add the cal mag.

good question on the ph though. I also don’t let it sit for an hour. Maybe 2-3 mins

Honestly, this is my first run as well with DWC so there was a lot of relevant info here. Yup I’m at 8.0-8.2 out of the tap as well.

One thing I almost forgot to write was ditch that original ph down you were using (standard hydroponics). I had to use 7ml root farm ph down (Canadian tire) vs 1.75ml of that potent ph down you have. And It would take 3 days to stabilize vs 2 days with your battery acid. You made me laugh with that cement mix comment btw cause I said the same thing when I lifted that bottle... fucking dennnnse!

You might want to consider letting that silica marinate a little longer before you add the others.

Also, remember that the Micro has 5% calcium in it (same ratio as Nitrogen I believe?). Tap water plus Micro could be enough calcium for you and you MIGHT not need cal-mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom