First Grow And Scrog, How's It Looking?

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

About the sparseness I agree that they were very lackluster and is why I found my way here.

Since I went to 4 x 400w cree's with two lights each the growth has completely changed. Since I dropped my nutes to 800ppm about 700ppm corrected for water the new growth looks so much healthier. Since I finally got my roots in the solution they have more than doubled in 2 days. Are they perfect hell no but considering it's my first time growing, my first time hydroponicing and my first time scrogging I'm more than happy.

The amount of new nodes has more than quadrupled in less stem space than use to have only two.

My ppm 800
My temps 65
Many small bubbles in each pot.
Month between change out.

Not everyone has to run the same system and most of my problems happened with the roots in the very beginning.

I have every belief that by the time I flower everything will be good.

Here are the roots before and now, the two photos are of the same root system after 48hrs, I'm on the right track. The last one is my best root system.

20170922 200751
20170929 161115
20170929 161133
Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

About the sparseness I agree that they were very lackluster and is why I found my way here.

Since I went to 4 x 400w cree's with two lights each the growth has completely changed. Since I dropped my nutes to 800ppm about 700ppm corrected for water the new growth looks so much healthier. Since I finally got my roots in the solution they have more than doubled in 2 days. Are they perfect hell no but considering it's my first time growing, my first time hydroponicing and my first time scrogging I'm more than happy.

The amount of new nodes has more than quadrupled in less stem space than use to have only two.

My ppm 800
My temps 65

Not everyone has to run the same system and most of my problems happened with the roots in the very beginning.

Here are the roots before and now, the two photos are of the same root system after 48hrs, I'm on the right track. The last one is my best root system.
Hey brother!!!!!!
I think you are doing good!
Fucking great actually, like the Tony the fucking tiger!

This is a journey! Enjoy it!
Have fun!
I can promise you 2 things!
You will succeed.
And you be proud of the effort,
and you can build on all of this,
and every grow...

I got your back homie!
You got a question, you just ask!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

My ppm 800
My temps 65

But now is when it gets tricky a little...
I am gonna ask you a bunch of dumb questions,
but that way i know where your at..
Whats your water temp? Do you have a way to check it?
How much hrdrogaurd are you using and how often?

I think a month change out interval could get you in trouble when the plants are older..
I think you could set it to 1.0 ec when you first put them in, then you might get a month out of that one, but when you flip to flower the plants will be adsorbing nutes faster and it doesn't just eat the npk equally, so your levels will get out of wack and cause deficiencies.

If you let your npk get out of wack and you have a deficiencies and that will open the door for Pythium, your cryptonite in DWC! Since you dont run a chiller your temps are higher enough for a outbreak. Hydrogaurd is really good shit but if the plant gets out of wack, it will take a hold and its something you will have to deal with, but you can over come and good policy is preventive maintenance by keeping ahead of the game...
Ive did it, i know others that have did it, and here is my take on it..
Watch the roots,
white is right,,
Brown with a frown,
Brownish Muck, your fucked...

S

Shawnery

The roots are not white which I was slightly concerned about but tjen did a little research and found most people using GH Nutes run into root dying from the nute color. At the moment they don't smell or have any feel to them. But I am keeping an eye out.

I know it's frowned on by some but I use h2o2 and hydro each on a weekly basis. I understand the h2o2 destroyes the hydro but I only use the hydro two days after I use the h2o2.

I've read many good diaries that have used h2o2 on a weekly basis and has great outcome though I understand most stay away. We have had issues with the heat lately so I use ice bottles on the water when it's warm. This is also why I use the h2o2 so incase there is a breakout of the bad stuff. Then the idea is 2 days later when the h2o2 has worn off I introduce hydro to introduce the good stuff. This is just when the temps are a little high.

In the next week or so the weather should be perfect and I have a heater and temp switch for the winter. I do want to get or make a chiller but want to see if I can recoup some costs first.
Wink wink.

S

Shawnery

My water temps are pretty chilly considering. I would say the temp is lower than the room temp by a few degrees. I would put it somewhere around 65.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

My water temps are pretty chilly considering. I would say the temp is lower than the room temp by a few degrees. I would put it somewhere around 65.
You might be surprised at what the temp is during lights on..
And ya that h202 swap then to hydrogaurd is gonna bite you but i understand your thought process on your switch out regimen..
And yes Gh nutes will stain the roots.
I recommend in 2 weeks
trim the very last 3 inches of the roots,
and if they get to gummy looking or pythium does break out,
pull the plant/netpot out, taking to the kitchen sink,
and spray her down with room temp water out the kitchen sprayer..

Junk

Junk

Well thank you..
I went back in this thread to see my pics you were talking about but i didnt post any..
Guess you mean on mt thread..

Well guess i have to change that lol

5 days in reveg to grab a clone from the keeper i decide on..
The tops are all drying..
Another 10 days i can do smoke report and pick the keeper.
By then we should be back in veg to take a couple clones..
Sorry brother, I went back and looked and it was @OldManRiver 's pics. I got the names mixed up. That must have been confusing lol.

My ppm 800
My temps 65

800 ppm is fine. Still a tad hot imo but should be fine. I say it's hot bc in your situation, I would be backing way off. The plants have been stressed, make it easy for them for a while.
65 is too low. Ideally, you want 68, 69,70 all the time. You can go as high as 72, but no higher. As low as 68, but no lower. You need a thermometer in the control bucket. They are cheap.

A month between change out is too long. 2 weeks is a stretch even if topping it off. It's one of the reasons to feed light during this stage, you will most likely end up pumping it out in a week (I go 7-10 days)

When you are at the stage you are at the plants don't eat much...so it's best not to feed them much. But you need to change the water. I use a shop vac and empty the control bucket (which is connected to all the others) I wheel it over to the door, connect a hose to a pump, drop the pump in and pump it out. It's a bit of a pain, but it's only during this stage. Once they are larger, they will eat/drink a lot. My last run, after they filled the scrog, I didn't pump any water out unless I was flushing. The plants would drain the buckets themselves.

The roots are not white which I was slightly concerned about
Yours look great. They are usually only white until they hit the nute solution. It's fine. The "brown" we are talking about is much darker. Yours have nute stain...what we are worried about root rot or fungus problems. I use Botanicaire Liquid Karma which stains them even more. You'll learn to see the difference over time. Yours look great.

Imo you don't need hydroguard or h2o2. Your water temps are low. Get the nutrients back on track and add those again only if you need them. At least that's what I would do.

Can you tell us what you are feeding them and what amount?

And you have air stones in each bucket correct? And about 3 gallons of solution per bucket?

And it might seem silly to stress it, but this...
Hey brother!!!!!!
This is a journey! Enjoy it!
Have fun!
I can promise you 2 things!
You will succeed.
And you be proud of the effort,
and you can build on all of this,
and every grow...

I think that's the best mindset to have. I've been gardening for a very long time (veggies, trees, patches etc). I thought this plant would be easy since I already have a handle on many of the principles...but cannabis is tricky to grow well, even for an experienced gardner.

If you approach it with the mindset that your first run won't be perfect, you will be much more observant to what mistakes you made, and what they caused. You will me less emotionally attached. In other words, you should be looking at this run as a practice. You will be fine. Your next one will be better etc.

Like he said...it's a journey, enjoy it. One of the best ways to do that is to take the pressure off yourself to have a cup winning crop. That's not going to happen. The best you can hope for is usable product. And despite the hiccup, I would say you are on track for that goal.

Fwiw, the things I learned at first: Environment is everything. Nutes are easy, I can give you a recipe that is used by many and if you can measure...you can nail it.

Environment is what separates the men from the boys...and amazing product vs mediocre. It's the hardest part to nail imo.

You are probably using h202 and hydroguard because you are afraid of root rot etc? If your temps are in check, you will be fine. The people who run into RR are usually in hot water, or a unsterile system. You appear fine on both fronts. Hydroguard, h202, ph up/down are all things I avoid if I can. I commend your caution, but I don't think it's necessary. The bottom half of your plants look great.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Sorry brother, I went back and looked and it was @OldManRiver 's pics. I got the names mixed up. That must have been confusing lol.

800 ppm is fine. Still a tad hot imo but should be fine. I say it's hot bc in your situation, I would be backing way off. The plants have been stressed, make it easy for them for a while.
65 is too low. Ideally, you want 68, 69,70 all the time. You can go as high as 72, but no higher. As low as 68, but no lower. You need a thermometer in the control bucket. They are cheap.

A month between change out is too long. 2 weeks is a stretch even if topping it off. It's one of the reasons to feed light during this stage, you will most likely end up pumping it out in a week (I go 7-10 days)

When you are at the stage you are at the plants don't eat much...so it's best not to feed them much. But you need to change the water. I use a shop vac and empty the control bucket (which is connected to all the others) I wheel it over to the door, connect a hose to a pump, drop the pump in and pump it out. It's a bit of a pain, but it's only during this stage. Once they are larger, they will eat/drink a lot. My last run, after they filled the scrog, I didn't pump any water out unless I was flushing. The plants would drain the buckets themselves.

Yours look great. They are usually only white until they hit the nute solution. It's fine. The "brown" we are talking about is much darker. Yours have nute stain...what we are worried about root rot or fungus problems. I use Botanicaire Liquid Karma which stains them even more. You'll learn to see the difference over time. Yours look great.

Imo you don't need hydroguard or h2o2. Your water temps are low. Get the nutrients back on track and add those again only if you need them. At least that's what I would do.

Can you tell us what you are feeding them and what amount?

And you have air stones in each bucket correct? And about 3 gallons of solution per bucket?

And it might seem silly to stress it, but this...

I think that's the best mindset to have. I've been gardening for a very long time (veggies, trees, patches etc). I thought this plant would be easy since I already have a handle on many of the principles...but cannabis is tricky to grow well, even for an experienced gardner.

If you approach it with the mindset that your first run won't be perfect, you will be much more observant to what mistakes you made, and what they caused. You will me less emotionally attached. In other words, you should be looking at this run as a practice. You will be fine. Your next one will be better etc.

Like he said...it's a journey, enjoy it. One of the best ways to do that is to take the pressure off yourself to have a cup winning crop. That's not going to happen. The best you can hope for is usable product. And despite the hiccup, I would say you are on track for that goal.

Fwiw, the things I learned at first: Environment is everything. Nutes are easy, I can give you a recipe that is used by many and if you can measure...you can nail it.

Environment is what separates the men from the boys...and amazing product vs mediocre. It's the hardest part to nail imo.

You are probably using h202 and hydroguard because you are afraid of root rot etc? If your temps are in check, you will be fine. The people who run into RR are usually in hot water, or a unsterile system. You appear fine on both fronts. Hydroguard, h202, ph up/down are all things I avoid if I can. I commend your caution, but I don't think it's necessary. The bottom half of your plants look great.
Well lets see your canopy?
Pics are it didnt happen!

S

Shawnery

Since my roots are growing gangbusters ever since I dropped him in the solution should I expect to see my vegetative growth slowed down for a little bit? What I've noticed lately is I'm getting very little stretch to my branches getting lots of length and Mass to my roots and getting lots of new nodes just not a lot of length. I assume that can be a good thing but should I be expecting this to change once my roots get into full Mass?

Sorry I forget who it was but someone earlier explain that you're either going to get growth below or above the lid they didn't put it that way but that was the gist of the conversation and that definitely seems to be happening right now with the roots.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Since my roots are growing gangbusters ever since I dropped him in the solution should I expect to see my vegetative growth slowed down for a little bit? What I've noticed lately is I'm getting very little stretch to my branches getting lots of length and Mass to my roots and getting lots of new nodes just not a lot of length. I assume that can be a good thing but should I be expecting this to change once my roots get into full Mass?
Your growth should puck up when they hit water..
Pics?

S

Shawnery

God the internet sucks and I don't mean your perception of it I just mean the ability for people to get across a clear message. Since the roots have gotten the water which was 3 days ago about the roots have grown like gangbusters. The roots are now totally engulfed in liquid. The thing is is that since this is happened my vegetative growth isn't growing longer just thicker but I assume that's a good thing.

My question is once my roots get a little bit more mass to them should the growth above and below the lid even out?

Basically all my branches of stop stretching out and just started growing nodes everywhere

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

God the internet sucks and I don't mean your perception of it I just mean the ability for people to get across a clear message. Since the roots have gotten the water which was 3 days ago about the roots have grown like gangbusters. The roots are now totally engulfed in liquid. The thing is is that since this is happened my vegetative growth isn't growing longer just thicker but I assume that's a good thing.

My question is once my roots get a little bit more mass to them should the growth above and below the lid even out?

Basically all my branches of stop stretching out and just started growing nodes everywhere
Pics?
Before long the roots will fill the whole bucket and everything should even out.
Just be patient..
In the words of Jesus,
For those that believeth in Event,
Thier plants shall never perish,
But instead have everlasting life.
:)

Junk

Junk

Well lets see your canopy?
Pics are it didnt happen!
Me?

Post #37...but here is a couple more (op, I've tried to put them in order so you can see what your scrog should look like). The middle pic was a few days before the flip. It was a multi strain grow, so some are shorter than others. Last pic is after the flip.
20160103 163059
20160103 163105
20160109 083306

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Me?

Post #37...but here is a couple more (op, I've tried to put them in order so you can see what your scrog should look like). The middle pic was a few days before the flip. It was a multi strain grow, so some are shorter than others. Last pic is after the flip.
View attachment 745910 View attachment 745912 View attachment 745913
I like that you build your own net!
Good looking net. Well send us a 2 week after flip pic when you get there..
I want to see how much of that net gets filled and how even your canopy is at that time...

S

Shawnery

I tried building mine out of wood but just couldn't get it stable enough I'm not a good wood worker. I ended up going with 1 inch PVC and I hooks to run the twine through. I have 3 in squares for weaving and I have my screen hanging from a justable ratchets four lights.

I'm growing two different strains as well one is a blue dream and the other is a golden ticket. The sativa dominant is definitely growing a lot faster and longer than the Indica dominant but that's a given.

S

Shawnery

By the way for my nutrients I'm running General Hydroponics Flora series. I was running at full strength when I had 1200 PPM now I'm running at half strength. So if you have a specific chart that you use for these nutrients I'd appreciate the actual dosages. I also use boomerang for the roots during the beginning of the grow but not anymore.

S

Shawnery

You guys think it's too late to throw some plants outside and switch them to flower in California right now? I sold my extra lights to recoup some cost on the Crees. I have 6 extra blue cookies on the side that I've been growing underneath some cheap LEDs. They're not that big but I can throw them in the dirt and see what happens

Top Bottom